Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: AI behavior near starbases  (Read 517 times)

sartan2002

• Ensign
    • View Profile
AI behavior near starbases
« on: September 18, 2019, 06:12:15 PM »

Hello everyone, I have been playing this game for a week solid so far.  I am in love with this game and it's only getting better!  I have noticed when I'm on my way to destroy a pirate base or pesky Luddis base, the smaller fleets only monitor me from a safe distance.  This behavior is actually an awesome idea that I really like when I noticed it.  However, this behavior persists when I'm sitting on top of their base.  I can easily chase off 3-4 smaller fleets far enough away the engage the base on its own, therefore being able to concentrate all of my firepower on a single massive non-moving target.  Super easy!  I think it would be more realistic however to have those smaller fleets stay within support range of a starbase.  I would imagine anyone fleet commander worth the title would realize the importance of staying within support range of a starbase when the enemy is near.  Here are my following suggestions.

- Smaller fleets(compared to hostile fleets) at starbases stay within the support bubble of the starbase. 
- Smaller fleets that are monitoring larger hostile fleets rush to the station once they are within a certain range of the starbase. 

- I also think different types of fleets should have a percentage chance for this behavior.  my suggestions are as follows:
    # Military fleets - 100%
    # Mercenary fleets - only if money is involved
    # Pirates - 50% (can't spend the loot if you die)
    # Non-military fleets(trade, salvage, explorer fleets) - I would say this depends on a number of factors such as inventory, fleet power, backup/support fleets around and probably a couple of other factors I can't think of at this time.

If anyone has any ideas to improve upon this please feel free to reply!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: AI behavior near starbases
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2019, 06:23:40 PM »

Hi, welcome to the forum!

I think I've actually got a todo item to look at this - as you say, it'd be nice if those fleets would help the station, and even a bit of support can make the fight a lot more difficult.