Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Suddenly attacking friendly factions might be cause for colony instability  (Read 837 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Breaking News: US Invades Canada!

"Trisha Nash, CNN live from Calgary
In an unexpected development, over 20,000 armored vehicles and 500 thousand troops of the US Army crossed the border early this morning. According to our sources, every major city 200 miles of the border are already under US control, with the bulk of the Canadian forces having reported capitulated, leaving minor pockets of resistance. The air force is currently in pursuit of several Canadian columns retreating towards the arctic. Human Rights Watch estimates a total of over 10,000 civilian casualties already occurred from the aerial bombardment, but any official figures have yet to be released.

The sudden attack drew widespread international condemnation, as well as harsh criticism from members of the Senate and Congress. The White House has yet to respond to our request for comment" :P
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 11:20:07 PM by goduranus »

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Suddenly attacking friendly factions might be cause for colony instability
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 06:25:05 AM »

Why would USA have a instability modifier under such scenario. Under modern history, a nation becomes more stable by acts of war, whether it is the aggressor or defender.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2019, 11:01:36 AM »

Why would USA have a instability modifier under such scenario. Under modern history, a nation becomes more stable by acts of war, whether it is the aggressor or defender.
The Vietnam war says otherwise. When people feel like a war is unjust, they get pretty upset. Attacking your ally without provocation could definitely be considered unjust. I'm pretty sure most Americans would be appalled by a declaration of war on Canada and it would cause serious civil unrest (I say this as an American, I certainly would not support a war with Canada, and I would probably protest if for some reason it happened).

On a semi related note, the US cannot conduct military actions without approval of congress (I believe a majority although it could be a 2/3 majority I'm not sure). The congressional minority could still be upset about it, but at least most of congress would have to be on board. I would imagine the president would be impeached almost immediately if he/she attacked another country without congressional approval. I'm skeptical that the military would even execute the command if it was illegal under US law. Star sector is mostly dictatorships though so it's not a super clear comparison.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 01:58:13 PM »

That's right, starsector is no comparison to your story at all.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2019, 04:33:46 PM »

That's right, starsector is no comparison to your story at all.
I would say that an unprovoked attack on an ally will likely never happen in the US because the system of government is set up to prevent it, but if it did, there would certainly be civil unrest. That supports the idea that if the mad dictator (player) decides to invade his close allies, his citizens might not be happy about it (unrest). I think it's fairly reasonable.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 04:38:32 PM »

Another thought, you could have the option to reduce the instability with propaganda, but this would also create more radical opposition amongst free thinkers (terrorist/rebel cells). This might be going in a different direction than the game intends but it seems cool in theory.