Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Purchase Faction Com Network Subscription  (Read 1027 times)

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Purchase Faction Com Network Subscription
« on: September 15, 2019, 08:55:34 PM »

Instead of setting up illegal com-sniffers, I'd imagine that player would be able to talk to a faction administrator to subscribe to com-data service much like you'd be able to subscribe to Bloomberg, and be forwarded all of a faction's mission requests and market info. Maybe there'd be a requirement of faction relations or commission, or good personal relationship with a faction character before this becomes possible.

ASSIMKO

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: Purchase Faction Com Network Subscription
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2019, 12:19:28 PM »

Instead of setting up illegal com-sniffers, I'd imagine that player would be able to talk to a faction administrator to subscribe to com-data service much like you'd be able to subscribe to Bloomberg, and be forwarded all of a faction's mission requests and market info. Maybe there'd be a requirement of faction relations or commission, or good personal relationship with a faction character before this becomes possible.

My son and I agree with that.

Daynen

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2019, 04:26:47 PM »

I like the idea, though it risks completely obsoleting comm sniffers...

VoronJyl

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 11:55:11 AM »

I like the idea, though it risks completely obsoleting comm sniffers...

Certainly not completely. Let alone for the fact it remains a free option.
Plus it probably wouldn't be available with an antagonized faction.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2019, 12:50:59 PM »

What would you get out of purchasing a com subscription from a friendly faction? Bounties/Missions/et al are public. Its fleet departures that are private.

Thematically then, why would they sell it to you if the only reason for you to have it would be to pirate things?

Either way you already get secure com access when you're cooperative.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 01:15:40 PM »

What would you get out of purchasing a com subscription from a friendly faction? Bounties/Missions/et al are public.
Non-bounty missions are only public if you're within a certain (relatively short) range of the posting system.  Which, with current mechanics, means that if you want to get good relations with a given faction, there is a strong incentive to set a comm-sniffer in one of their systems, just so you can see those missions without actually having to go there all the time.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2019, 06:47:42 PM »

What would you get out of purchasing a com subscription from a friendly faction? Bounties/Missions/et al are public.
Non-bounty missions are only public if you're within a certain (relatively short) range of the posting system.  Which, with current mechanics, means that if you want to get good relations with a given faction, there is a strong incentive to set a comm-sniffer in one of their systems, just so you can see those missions without actually having to go there all the time.

This.

Id like to think you'd first need Friendly status to buy a "subscription", but after doing so, you get access to all their semi-secure comms such as procurement missions, survey missions, etc. for all planets of that faction as long as your near any comm relay.

The comms system in the game has so many great opportunities similar to this, like allowing access to enemy faction comms if your at war with them and part of a faction with a commission + certain rep level to spice up the game a lot more.