Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tugs are the best!  (Read 5579 times)

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Tugs are the best!
« on: September 15, 2019, 07:22:38 AM »

Yes, they're inefficient (even with efficiency optimisation oh. My. God.), yes they're high maintenance, but daaaymn.
I modded my game to allow fleets of up to 50, which is probably why I'm able to love them so much, but nothing beats going silent at burn level 19 with only a 800 sensor profile. (Yes, a full 30 of my 50 fleet are tugs XD )

It should also be possible under the 30 cap with Militarised Systems on the tugs, and 27 tugs, provided that none of your other ships have a speed lower than 9, so... a very fast sneaky cargo fleet?

Sinosauropteryx

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Tugs are the best!
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 11:14:59 AM »

That sounds like fun, but what are you even shipping? Or are you stealth raiding?

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 11:41:20 AM »

Well in my case the rest of my fleet is 9 moras, 6 dooms, 2 Atlasi, and 3 Prometheuses, so... :P

furl

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 11:42:27 AM »

Yeah, I always use tugs to get max burn level on sustained burn. It actually saves you credits with larger fleets because of less supply maintenance to get from one place to another

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2019, 12:08:45 PM »

Am I missing something, because you shouldn't ever need more than 19 tugs even with a theoretical burn 1 ship.  Every tug increases the burn of your fleet by 1 (regardless of sustained burn or not), so a burn 7 fleet takes just 13 tugs to reach burn 20.  I suppose more tugs might help in nebulas and deep hyperspace where your speed is reduced further

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2019, 12:11:14 PM »

Am I missing something, because you shouldn't ever need more than 19 tugs even with a theoretical burn 1 ship.  Every tug increases the burn of your fleet by 1 (regardless of sustained burn or not), so a burn 7 fleet takes just 13 tugs to reach burn 20.  I suppose more tugs might help in nebulas and deep hyperspace where your speed is reduced further
Running silent halves your top burn. Kinda. It doesn't halve the +1 from the character skill.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2019, 04:33:17 PM »

Running silent halves your top burn. Kinda. It doesn't halve the +1 from the character skill.
Oh I didn't see where you said you were running dark.  That makes sense then.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2019, 05:32:34 PM »

In somewhat related news, I've fallen in love with the Hound (especially the armoured variant when I can grab one).
Just being able to run away from pirates is a godsend.
(I load mine up with Auxiliary Fuel, Auxiliary Thrusters, Expanded Cargo, and Unstable Injector.)

Speaking of, is the armoured variant a separate blueprint, I would I have to just keep printing and selling Hounds?

DeMatt

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 07:56:50 PM »

Speaking of, is the armoured variant a separate blueprint, I would I have to just keep printing and selling Hounds?
The Hound (A) is a separate blueprint from the basic Hound, yes.  FYI, the (A) stands for "Auxiliary", for its special "Militarized Hegemony Auxiliary" mod.  You can sometimes buy them from Hegemony markets, and there's a "Hegemony Auxiliary Blueprint Package" you might be able to find while tech-mining.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2019, 05:36:51 AM »

In somewhat related news, I've fallen in love with the Hound (especially the armoured variant when I can grab one).
Just being able to run away from pirates is a godsend.
(I load mine up with Auxiliary Fuel, Auxiliary Thrusters, Expanded Cargo, and Unstable Injector.)

Armored hounds and Luddic Path Cerberus / Hounds are THE best early game haulers; you just disengage and run so fast that no one can catch you except maybe phase ships. Cheap, fast, and good cargo space; I always get them early game and make mad cash.