Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Option to hold button for shields  (Read 1297 times)

mvp7

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Option to hold button for shields
« on: September 13, 2019, 10:31:18 AM »

I often find it very hard to follow whether my shields are up or down when it matters the most.

For example after flux venting, the exact moment when you can power up the shields again isn't completely obvious. Sometimes I press the button a little bit too early and because I can't see through all the explosions and other effects I end up taking some unnecessary hits before realizing that. Sometimes I accidentally shut down shields that are already up. It's only a fraction of a second but it always makes the fight feel more like a struggle with controls and UI rather than the enemy.

It would be great if there was additional control to hold (rather than toggle) the shields. It would make it easier to manage the shields in intense situations with no uncertainty about whether the shields are on or off. Ideally the hold-control should be separate key that can override the toggle so that you could toggle on the shields when you need them for a longer time and start using hold any time during battle.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Option to hold button for shields
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 10:37:35 AM »

Yeah, that could be useful.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »

Toggle for shields would be a welcome addition, indeed. A key that makes shields stay up so long it's pressed can be a substitute. I keep making the most mistakes related to shields when I'm flying ships like Medusa or Hyperion, where I need shields the most.

mvp7

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2019, 11:09:57 AM »

Toggle for shields would be a welcome addition, indeed. A key that makes shields stay up so long it's pressed can be a substitute. I keep making the most mistakes related to shields when I'm flying ships like Medusa or Hyperion, where I need shields the most.
Isn't that how it already works or do you mean that the state of the shield would be remembered even after venting or overload?

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2019, 11:15:32 AM »

When you shield flicker a lot it can be hard to keep track of. Even worse if you are constantly attacked by more flashy projectiles and can't see your shield all that well.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 11:41:18 AM »

There should probably be a shields UI indicator.

mvp7

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 11:57:56 AM »

Yeah it would be nice, but at the same time it would be of limited use because the shield management typically only becomes an issue in very intense situations where you can't really looking at the GUI that much anyway.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2019, 12:10:16 PM »

Yeah it would be nice, but at the same time it would be of limited use because the shield management typically only becomes an issue in very intense situations where you can't really looking at the GUI that much anyway.

Which is why I'd prefer option to display shield state right on cursor.

Even better if cursor changed between normal/venting/overloaded/shields up (or phase cloak) states, with venting and overload having circular countdown.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2019, 12:13:24 PM by TaLaR »

mvp7

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2019, 12:35:11 PM »

Which is why I'd prefer option to display shield state right on cursor.

Even better if cursor changed between normal/venting/overloaded/shields up (or phase cloak) states, with venting and overload having circular countdown.
That would be useful. Half-Life 2 did that with ammo and health(?) next to crosshair and it worked pretty well.

There could be a flux gauge next to the mouse cursor that also changes depending on what the ship special status is. Like white when normal, blue when shield/phase is on. Blinking red when overloaded and blinking white when flux venting.

At least in theory it would really put most of the stuff you need to be aware of during battle right where you need to see it. How readable it could be made without making it too obstructive is another matter.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2019, 09:40:26 AM »

Some of us can flicker between looking at a crosshair and looking at the bottom left at the same time. A shields indicator would be better than no indicator. A discreet colour change, perhaps on the cursor itself, would be best perhaps.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2019, 12:03:53 PM »

Isn't that how it already works or do you mean that the state of the shield would be remembered even after venting or overload?
The latter, sorry for confusion. I just want it so that if I press the right mouse button (or perhaps some other button), the shields will try to stay up if possible and will reactivate on their own, until I press that button again.