Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Persean League Specific Mechanics  (Read 1498 times)

Half-full

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Persean League Specific Mechanics
« on: September 13, 2019, 12:15:34 AM »

Please consider implementing internal political mechanics for the Persean League similar to the lore description given ingame. 
I believe that right now something many players agree about is that more strategic gameplay would be good for making the endgame more interesting, so I'm going to try to segue this into talking about the Perseans, which I feel like could also use some love. Please discuss and share some ideas too.
  • Besides just being nice to have (not a good enough reason of course), a special political mechanic would add a novel new layer to the simulation for the player to make strategies around.
  • The chaos resulting from League politics, judging by what we hear about the League, would probably help shake up the dynamics of warfare in the core worlds not only by creating strategic situations which are unimaginable in a war between say Hegemony and Tritachyon, but also by perhaps allowing the player or even other entities to meddle in League politics directly.
  • Finally, this would go a long way in distinguishing this vanilla faction from the others. My perception right now is that Perseans are for the most part just Independents, but with a different flag and fleet boundary color, and some nicer markets.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Persean League Specific Mechanics
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2019, 03:18:49 AM »

No actual suggestion about how to do this I see.  It doesn't sound like something that translates to gameplay very well.

As for the existing faction uniqueness, you can see it in their fleets if you ever actually fight them.  Persian league are the carrier faction, with fleets formed primarily around Herons and Drovers.  Fighting them is a very different experience from fighting any other faction. Other factions use carriers too, but none nearly to the extent of the Persian League.

Half-full

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 11:50:56 PM »

No actual suggestion about how to do this I see.
I am going to attempt this, but please keep in mind that I am an amateur.

To start, I believe there would need to be an interface addition in the intel section, specifically in the factions tab after clicking on the Perseans. A new diagram should be added somewhere on their faction page, my first mockup of this is here, and yes I realize it can be confusing and needs alignment etc etc, but I think that it's still useful to understand at a glance how the mechanic would work or that diagram would look.

Each market name below a manager is considered as being controlled by that manager (please bare with me because it is not an AI player). The league convenes on the date listed on the center for some amount of time to render decisions, which appear in the center after. The color of a market name is that market's biggest trading partner in terms of net credit value of goods (perhaps including illegal ones) provided since the before the last league meeting was held. A manager's list of possible decisions includes sending an invasion fleet, sending commerce raiders, sending a planetary raid, and lowering or raising overall league reputation with a target faction.

The manager's biggest concern would be securing independence through power, so for this reason the primary factors affecting league decisions are who is committing hostile actions towards them, and who are their biggest trading partners. Occurrences of raids on League Planets, fleets, etc along with who the biggest trade partners are affect the numerical value of variables in equations that make league decisions happen. The way that this system promotes emergence is by allowing the player or NPC fleets to manipulate reputation a faction besides the ones in the fight or their allies has with another through fighting on the overmap, which I think would constitute recirculating Starsector's own unpredictable events back into the Persean League's government. I think this has many significant implications, and perhaps modifying this system just a little bit more could result in an even greater level of potential emergence.

I do not have equations or statistics appropriate for this suggestion, and we are all busy people. I think that I could provide some eventually next month. This is my first attempt at a suggestion like this, so please give me some feedback, thanks.

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2019, 07:44:14 AM »

I am hoping for more faction related missions

Persean League
what the luddic path did to the people of mairaath how about a special mission where you help rebuild there orbital station cities

Sindrian Diktat
 Help them secure their star system by invading the pirate and independent worlds in their star system and turning control over to them for a sizable amount of money and reputation with them

Independent
Help Nova Maxios resettled their original Homeworld Maxios and maybe take over the pirate station kanta's den

Half-full

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2019, 05:43:23 PM »

Bump because I want to keep discussing strategic-level gameplay mechanics in Starsector.