Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened (updated 2021-01-12)  (Read 95979 times)

Tiberiumkyle

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Gates Awakened (2019-11-30)
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2019, 02:44:50 PM »

I'll wait, no rush in current game. I did peek into the save file, could likely go that route if I didn't want to wait.

On the Adjusted Sector side of things, in the settings for it this is all I changed, as default setup had the sector map at a near unplayable framerate.
Code
	"sectorWidth":180000,
"sectorHeight":160000,
"AdjustedSectorConstellationCount":200,

compared to the mod default of
Code
	"sectorWidth":274000,
"sectorHeight":234000,
"AdjustedSectorConstellationCount":360,

I'll poke at that more next game, too far into current to restart. Lacking gates is annoying, but I can live with it.

Edit: Further poking around in the save file, yep, no remnant systems. Woops!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2019, 03:12:25 PM by Tiberiumkyle »

cpmartins

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2019, 03:26:22 PM »

First, let me say I love this mod! It adds QOL for travelling in endgame with my massive 20 Cap ship fleets.
And now to the bug report:
I don't know which mod adds some different  Distress Signal events, but I got one: O ghost ship. Pretty cool I say, had to keep 800 marines with me and had some unique hull mod. All good. Except that when I tried to use a gate, the ship vanished! After that, I couldn't use the gates anymore. Even after restoring a previous saved game. It somehow globally saved the "no using the gates anymore" status.

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2019, 04:37:42 PM »

The ghost ship is from Varya's Sector, I believe.

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2019, 09:10:42 PM »

First, let me say I love this mod! It adds QOL for travelling in endgame with my massive 20 Cap ship fleets.
And now to the bug report:
I don't know which mod adds some different  Distress Signal events, but I got one: O ghost ship. Pretty cool I say, had to keep 800 marines with me and had some unique hull mod. All good. Except that when I tried to use a gate, the ship vanished! After that, I couldn't use the gates anymore. Even after restoring a previous saved game. It somehow globally saved the "no using the gates anymore" status.

That's mine, unfortunately. Would you mind elaborating on "couldn't use the gates anymore"? Did it give you the spooky ghost ship message when you lost the ship, or did it just disappear - and when you couldn't use them later, were they just showing the default message, or the spooky ghost ship message, or the Gates Awakened message?
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

cpmartins

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2019, 05:24:20 AM »

I tried using the gate, as per "Fly through the gate"
At that moment, the game gave me a message saying that the ship had dissapeared, together with its entire crew.
After that, every time I'd try and flight through the gate, it only gave me the message that "nothing happens" instead of the mod usual gate addresses and fuel costs.
Also love your mod man, it's become mandatory for my playthroughs as well.

Wispborne

• Captain
  • Discord: wispborne
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2019, 03:45:09 PM »

Updating this post, since we spoke on Discord.

Investigation points to the gate interaction in Vayra's Sector getting fired instead of the Gates Awakened one, when it shouldn't be firing.
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

ofasia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2019, 10:00:39 AM »

I would like to suggest adding a charge based cooldown period to reactivation code. Perhaps 30 days for 1 charge once the inital charges are spent. Maybe something about the tripad archaic power supply breaking down and being replaced by a modern charger. I think it would make make for a nice balance addition.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 10:02:59 AM by ofasia »

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2019, 08:34:36 AM »

I would like to suggest adding a charge based cooldown period to reactivation code. Perhaps 30 days for 1 charge once the inital charges are spent. Maybe something about the tripad archaic power supply breaking down and being replaced by a modern charger. I think it would make make for a nice balance addition.

What problem or OP mechanic would that be addressing?

I'd considered adding some sort of cooldown, but since you need to be at a gate to deactivate it, I haven't noticed having no cooldown to be abusable.
Mod: Persean Chronicles | Mod Manager: SMOL | Tool: VRAM Estimator | Tool: Forum+Discord Mod Database | If I'm inactive for 3 months, anyone can use any of my work for anything (except selling it or its derivatives).

ofasia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2019, 10:30:44 AM »

I'd considered adding some sort of cooldown, but since you need to be at a gate to deactivate it, I haven't noticed having no cooldown to be abusable.

Using gates is great but since the AI can't set some or interact with them, I would enjoy the mod even more if the option to gate was more limited in my games. I can reduce the number of gate codes but on top of that, I'd like another barrier that would prevent changing them on a whim.

xucthclu

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2019, 03:28:05 PM »

Tried the mod. Works well, quite handy for when you get some colonies going. Changes the overall decisions and planning somewhat, since you start considering placing colonies somewhere not too far from a gate, or spawning one in the system with colonies. Also is quite nifty when you find a high danger system with a gate, you can just activate it for when you wanna go milking the [REDACTED] cows.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2019, 04:10:18 PM »

Using gates is great but since the AI can't set some or interact with them, I would enjoy the mod even more if the option to gate was more limited in my games. I can reduce the number of gate codes but on top of that, I'd like another barrier that would prevent changing them on a whim.

I can see your point, but I really feel that this would be more complex and frustrating than it's worth, at least for my playstyle. After all, if you want to deactivate a gate and there's a cooldown, you can just hold down Shift to speed up time until the cooldown is expired, which is not fun but will feel like the most optimal way to play. I tend to like mechanics that let the player experiment, in this case by giving the freedom to change up gates at will.

Tried the mod. Works well, quite handy for when you get some colonies going. Changes the overall decisions and planning somewhat, since you start considering placing colonies somewhere not too far from a gate, or spawning one in the system with colonies. Also is quite nifty when you find a high danger system with a gate, you can just activate it for when you wanna go milking the [REDACTED] cows.

Thanks! It suddenly makes nice systems that are farther away from the core but have a gate to be more attractive, too, but then you're also penalized with a lower accessibility score. (since NPC fleets don't know about / can't use the gates, there's no accessibility change from having a gate)

ofasia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2019, 09:05:19 PM »

Yes I see your point. I'll set the settings to 1.5 fuel and only 1 extra gate code, I think this will do nicely for my need. Thanks for your answer and your mod :)

ofasia

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2019, 08:30:45 AM »

Some more silly and potentially unwanted suggestions. Adding options for a credit cost to use gates. And for ships to get randomly get damaged like hyperstorms or rarely get totaled with d-mods. A tiny chance of ship disappearing, along with whoever is piloting it. Sometime redirect the fleet to another random gate. Or have ship separated from the fleet turn mad and hostile. Because those gates are old and out of maintenance, of course.

Wispborne

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 10, 2019, 08:47:54 AM »

Some more silly and potentially unwanted suggestions. Adding options for a credit cost to use gates. And for ships to get randomly get damaged like hyperstorms or rarely get totaled with d-mods. A tiny chance of ship disappearing, along with whoever is piloting it. Sometime redirect the fleet to another random gate. Or have ship separated from the fleet turn mad and hostile. Because those gates are old and out of maintenance, of course.

I dislike punishing the player for using a feature as intended. I figure that if they installed this mod, they are looking for something a bit cheaty and if there's a downside to using gates, especially after the mod has already been released, then that won't go over well.

Of course these downsides could be turned off via an options config, but optional features add code complexity and also, imo, make a mod seem non-vanilla. I'm not anti-configuration, but if something can be worked into the mod without needing a config option, I'll almost always take that option.

And what you're describing would fit perfectly with Alex's approach to the game with one alteration. Make it so that you can always use a gate, but if you don't have enough fuel, then bad *** can happen, directly correlated to how much fuel you're lacking.

Not sure about using credits for a gate jump; travel is about managing fuel and supplies. Plus it'd be hard to explain why a gate can use either fuel or credits.

Embolism

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2019, 08:35:48 AM »

Minor bug. Active gates don't have icons on the Intel map, it just shows as a white circle.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7