Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: BACK TO THE EXPANSION ERA  (Read 5400 times)

teabiscuit

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: BACK TO THE EXPANSION ERA
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2019, 06:35:36 AM »

I do agree with OP, seeing the words "Low Tech" in all red makes you think it's just a worse hull/weapon compared to high tech. I didn't realize the truth until I made a colony and saw that all 3 orbital station choices cost the same amount of money.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2019, 01:21:16 PM »

I think that manufacturers might be more neutral / natural.   

People associate a company's product with a style and concepts.  Eras of history has always felt kind of weird, like we're using medieval bows against laser cannons or something. 

I don't mind so much that they're from different periods in the lore; it's the implications behind Low, Middle and High Tech that don't sit well.  In the real world, we're still using machineguns whose core design is older than my 100-year-old grandmother and lots of people carry Colt 1911's because they're effective and they Just Work.  But we aren't using stave-bows in military contexts; technological progression (especially in weapons) tends to happen because, well, the newer tech is just better.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Vayra

• Admiral
  • jangala delenda est
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2019, 01:34:38 PM »

I think that manufacturers might be more neutral / natural.   

People associate a company's product with a style and concepts.  Eras of history has always felt kind of weird, like we're using medieval bows against laser cannons or something. 

I don't mind so much that they're from different periods in the lore; it's the implications behind Low, Middle and High Tech that don't sit well.  In the real world, we're still using machineguns whose core design is older than my 100-year-old grandmother and lots of people carry Colt 1911's because they're effective and they Just Work.  But we aren't using stave-bows in military contexts; technological progression (especially in weapons) tends to happen because, well, the newer tech is just better.

I'd like to see manufacturers/designers too, with maybe a few quick desc rewrites to make them more cohesive - i.e. maybe retcon the Drover to be made by Altair Exotech like the "Bird of Prey"-series cruisers and presumably the other specialized destroyers built to support them, not Orion. This would also be cool because it would differentiate the ships that are drastically different from their tech level's "standard" more - i.e. the Apogee is clearly not from the same manufacturer/designer as the Aurora and Medusa are, while the Huan-Gogel Pegasus, Nebula, and Starliner seem like a very cohesive family, more so than they fit in with other ships of their tech level.
Kadur Remnant: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=6649
Vayra's Sector: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16058
Vayra's Ship Pack: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=16059

im gonna push jangala into the sun i swear to god im gonna do it

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2019, 06:15:14 AM »

Pegasus isn't in the base game. Not that it particularily matters I suppose.

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2019, 06:23:16 AM »

Pegasus is the Mudskipper.

Manufacturers/designers seems better than trying to stuff all the ships into broad doctrines/eras/whatever.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2019, 06:26:50 AM »

Pegasus is the Mudskipper.

Manufacturers/designers seems better than trying to stuff all the ships into broad doctrines/eras/whatever.
Ah I see. never seen anybody ever refer it to a Pegasus before though.

Yunru

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2019, 06:33:40 AM »

Even if low-tech/midline/high-tech seem cheesy, they work.  Low-tech has that rugged, simple but effective feel and style.  Midline has sleek angular space wedges or blocks with bullets and laser beams.  High-tech has fancy and curvy blue saucers or pimples that rely too much on energy and fancy tricks. 
Rugged, Refined, and High-Tech?

Sinosauropteryx

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2019, 10:26:47 AM »

If a false sense of tiering is the main problem, the main offender is probably Low Tech. It draws the direct comparison with High Tech and looks like the inferior option. If it was called something else, High Tech would have nothing to be superior too, and appear more as a sidegrade, while still conveying its relative recency. Also, if modern day Earth is any comparison, people would be euphamizing the category as "classic" or "vintage" to sell more ships.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 16, 2019, 10:30:42 AM »

Heavy Tech? As it's not like these ships were fully out of use by the collapse anyway. The 14th fleet had many of them, and midline ships too.

Heavy, Midline, High? I'm sure people can think of something more fitting.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.
Pages: 1 2 [3]