Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to stop colony from "deteriorating"  (Read 2711 times)

haydendu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
How to stop colony from "deteriorating"
« on: September 19, 2019, 11:59:44 AM »

Hello, I didn't see any other threads discussing this and couldn't find anything outside the forum either.

TL;DR What is the criteria for losing a "deteriorating" colony/ how do I get rid of the deteriorating colony debuff?

On my most recent run with Tri-Tachyon (running Nexerelin, Diable, and Arsenal Expansion), I found a great Terran world with 75% hazard rating and rushed to grab it. Since I was rushing I didn't have a huge amount of resources, and after some raids I came back to find that my station had been destroyed. I got some money together to build up a sizable fleet and bring up my stability to 1 and managed to destroy the THREE pirate bases in close proximity, but at this point I had already been at 0 stability for a long while. By the time I'd gotten my *** together enough to remove all of the instability possible, I got the notification for the deteriorating colony debuff. I was actually on my way to sell some corrupted nanoforges in order to get the remaining 200k at that very moment so I figured it was no biggie. Sold my stuff and got up to 5 stability, not exactly a thriving empire, but you know not too bad right? A day or so later my faction is eliminated!

It definitely would've been nice to get an urgent warning like that a bit earlier because the less than a month or so that it took to lose the colony is really no time at all in game, but that's not a super big deal because it's on me for allowing my colony to be in that state for so long. What I'm really frustrated with is doing all that to bring my stability up to 5, (not super abnormal for new colonies if you don't have Planetary Operations 3 already) and losing everything to a mechanic I can't find any information on. If anyone knows more about this colony deterioration and how to stop it please help me out.

Thanks in advance!

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop colony from "deteriorating"
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2019, 12:15:36 PM »

Ouch - that's actually a bug that you ran into; a colony that's not at stability zero is not supposed to destabilize, but the game checks colony stability only on a fairly long interval; in other words, by the time you got the warning, it was probably already too late to fix it.

This has been reported already, and I believe fixed in the dev version of the game, but that doesn't really help you out right now.

My advice for what to do from here: If you've got a save from just before the final destabilization event, load that up, abandon the colony, and wait two in-game months before re-establishing it - that should clear the destabilization count-down.  If you're not at the right location to accomplish this, or don't have enough colossi to carry your collected inventory, then install the Console Commands mod, and use that to just give yourself the resources to work around this bug.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

haydendu

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: How to stop colony from "deteriorating"
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 02:27:29 PM »

Thank you so much! Knowing that this is a bug is super helpful. I'll try using the save work around.