Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Question about nebula movespeed reduction criteria  (Read 576 times)

TeriyakiDynamite

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Question about nebula movespeed reduction criteria
« on: September 16, 2019, 04:33:26 PM »

So I understand that "smaller" fleets are less affected by the movespeed reduction you get from moving through a nebula in hyperspace (and other terrain penalties), but what exactly does that mean? My guesses are that it calculates based on either the biggest class of ship in your fleet, the number of ships in your fleet, the total sensor profile of your fleet, or some combination of the three.  Does anyone know for sure?

I checked the wiki, couldn't find anything about it there.  I could take some time to do video game science at some point but I'd rather not if someone else already knows :P

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Question about nebula movespeed reduction criteria
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2019, 07:18:31 PM »

It's most likely calculated based on ship size (frigate/destroyer/cruiser/capital) * number of ships.  Someone else will have to confirm

I don't mean size of biggest, I mean each individual ship, added together.  Adding a frigate to a fleet that already contains capitals will slow that fleet down less than adding an additional capital.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 07:20:27 PM by sotanaht »