Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Civilian (transportation/airliner) fleets?  (Read 1625 times)

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
  • Are you hiding the blueprints under your farms?
    • View Profile
Civilian (transportation/airliner) fleets?
« on: September 11, 2019, 05:19:10 PM »

Do you generally think there is enough human presence in the core worlds? I don't think so, yet I don't expect a bustling hyperspace region with countless amounts of fleets. I feel like there should be at least some civilian fleets, specifically for simulating population migration and such.

What about making a civilian fleet that works as transportation, with military ships for security (to prevent easy pickings)? Like traders, scavengers, or surveyors, but with Starliners, Nebulas, and such. For factions, this could be just a fleet that flies back and forth like an airliner, either independent or faction-backed companies. For the player, they could either raid them for domestic and luxury goods, or hire a fleet to boost the population growth of a colony. Pirates and hostile factions could also target these fleets, like trading fleets.

Implementing this shouldn't be hard, but I don't have the time for it currently. I just wanted to share to see what people think.

ALSO, does anyone think adding more, substantially more, single ship or small fleets to simulate an alive sector be worth it? Balancing would be a pain (because they'd be easy to raid otherwise), besides having the already high burn level of frigates and single destroyers, and I have no clue how it'll affect performance.

TL;DR: thinking of a mod that will considerably add more fleets to the sector, with different types and sizes.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
Re: Civilian (transportation/airliner) fleets?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2019, 03:29:47 AM »

IIRC trade fleets already sometimes deliver crew, but you can't do anything particularly interesting with them.

Wouldn't mind seeing more "decorative" fleets.

Sapfearon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2019, 10:44:10 AM »

IIRC trade fleets already sometimes deliver crew, but you can't do anything particularly interesting with them.

Wouldn't mind seeing more "decorative" fleets.

Yep, more "decorative" fleets is alaways good. In space rangers there are also civilian transports and diplomats. I love that nex adds mining fleets so maybe one day we will see more fleets...

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2019, 11:22:30 AM »

A little while back in a thread about different levels of crew I had suggested having different crew commodities with different values for pay and crew provided per item. That same thing could be used to have a 0-salary, 0-crew passenger item that takes up crew space instead of cargo space. You wouldn't want them for sale in markets, but it could also expand the bar missions available to the player (perhaps with juiced up mission failure penalties). De-prioritizing them for crew losses due to hull damage/fighter losses would be important though (what, you don't take pleasure cruises through [REDACTED] space?).