Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Navigation mods? (or "Please stop flying into stars you idiot!")  (Read 2728 times)

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Navigation mods? (or "Please stop flying into stars you idiot!")
« on: September 10, 2019, 09:52:08 AM »

Are there any mods that allow you to set way-points, or that otherwise help ships *not* try to fly directly through stars? I am tired of sending fleets off to another system, only for them to decide that the jump point directly across the star is more attractive than the one in the outer system and then slam face first into the star itself, *then* faffing about trying to find a way around, while spiking my supply usage from under 10 per day to 100+ per day, sometimes for days on end (for bigger stars).

I would like something that either let me directly select which jump points to use, along with way-point to navigate in between, or even something with a simple "stay away from dangerous terrain" check box.

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
  • Are you hiding the blueprints under your farms?
    • View Profile
Re: Navigation mods? (or "Please stop flying into stars you idiot!")
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:51:24 PM »

AFAIK, there are no navigation mods of any sort. I usually set a course for a system, and when the jump points are in view, I manually take control and redirect to the one of my choosing. Unless the system is unexplored, you can click into the system view and choose a destination, thus automatically targeting the closest jump point. I'm sure others do one of these two.

You just have to get used to it, correcting your fleet's trajectory becomes a no-brainer over time.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 12:07:16 AM »

setting a waypoint in another star system automatically takes you to the closest jump point that is not the sun. Almost everything you asked is already in game.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2019, 12:28:51 AM »

setting a waypoint in another star system automatically takes you to the closest jump point that is not the sun. Almost everything you asked is already in game.
Setting a waypoint TO another system takes you to the sun every time, even if it's the furthest jump point.  Considering you usually end up with bounties in systems you haven't explored and therefor can't set waypoints inside of, that's pretty annoying.

Histidine

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • GitHub profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2019, 04:11:26 AM »

Fleet automatically using jump point rather than star gravity well is a coming feature for next release.

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2019, 05:28:38 AM »

On a related note, I would like to be able to set waypoints in-system, for the times that I would like to go to the other side of the system but not fly straight through the star, instead taking a safe path around it.

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2019, 07:28:39 AM »

Maybe this is something I missed, but can you set multiple waypoints in a row? 'Cause that is what I need. Currently I set a destination in another system (as someone else suggested), but the problem is if the jump-point is on the other side of my current systems star my fleet tries to fly through the star to get there. If I could set a waypoint then a destination to go to after that then that is all I need (well, more intelligent pathfinding is a need too, but I can work around that by being able to set consecutive waypoints). So far whenever I try to set multiple waypoints in a row it just overrides the previous destination, so I have to manually pilot my fleet around obstacles one nav point at a time.

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2019, 09:03:12 AM »

Maybe this is something I missed, but can you set multiple waypoints in a row? 'Cause that is what I need. Currently I set a destination in another system (as someone else suggested), but the problem is if the jump-point is on the other side of my current systems star my fleet tries to fly through the star to get there. If I could set a waypoint then a destination to go to after that then that is all I need (well, more intelligent pathfinding is a need too, but I can work around that by being able to set consecutive waypoints). So far whenever I try to set multiple waypoints in a row it just overrides the previous destination, so I have to manually pilot my fleet around obstacles one nav point at a time.

Not necessarily multiple waypoints, but you can set a waypoint for your ships on the map, and break away from it temporarily by clicking another waypoint in the main screen. This way, you can steer your ships or give them destinations in between their waypoint and current position. When you're finished steering, you can press "A" to set a course back to the waypoint.

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2019, 11:47:08 AM »

Ok, that is still a manual intervention. I would rather it let me rout around a problem I can see from miles away ahead of time. While we are at it, a manual "yes, please just make the jump" would be great as well (if it does not already exist), maybe with options for selecting the preferred transponder state for various systems.

(in case it  is not becoming obvious, I am an AFK pilot, often watching or reading stuff on another screen for long-haul flights. Having to manually intervene all the time is somewhat annoying, especially when the fleet is burning supplies for no good reason while frolicking in the corona of a star) 

Apogee_Freak

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2019, 03:53:08 PM »

Ok, that is still a manual intervention. I would rather it let me rout around a problem I can see from miles away ahead of time. While we are at it, a manual "yes, please just make the jump" would be great as well (if it does not already exist), maybe with options for selecting the preferred transponder state for various systems.

(in case it  is not becoming obvious, I am an AFK pilot, often watching or reading stuff on another screen for long-haul flights. Having to manually intervene all the time is somewhat annoying, especially when the fleet is burning supplies for no good reason while frolicking in the corona of a star) 

Starsector is, unfortunately, a pretty hands-on game with a fair load of micromanaging. AFKing is maybe a viable option in hyperspace (despite the hyperstorm riding and derelict ships floating by), but flying inside of a system has more elements that need consideration (hostile fleets, coronas, etc.). I never feel the need to AFK, and even if there is a long stretch, speeding up the game with "Shift" decimates the wait to less than a minute (that flies by anyway).

Even for battles, I set my flagship on autopilot, and monitor the progress of ships destroyed and the status of my own. Even then, it doesn't seem like a chore (unless a lone frigate starts a game of cat and mouse), and I can use SpeedUp to make it quicker.

So for your situation, I advise either switching your focus between reading & watching and playing the game every 10 minutes or so, or just doing one thing over the other. Starsector really isn't an idle clicker, but I understand that there are times when it seems better to do something else productive. Apologies for the unhelpful criticism, I just don't think implementing these ideas should be a priority for the game.