Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Salvage a station?  (Read 2318 times)

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Salvage a station?
« on: September 09, 2019, 10:30:05 PM »

I have been reading about salvage, and the way it is described leads me to believe you can salvage some of the larger objects in the game if you get enough salvage ships. Is this correct? I have a system with a large derelict station (not one of the ones that gives you free storage, this one says "derelict sporeship station" and the only interaction I can do with it is "leave". I have been stockpiling salvage rigs, and am now up to 9 of them, but it seems like no number is enough. Is it even possible to do? If so, how many salvage rigs do I actually need? Is there a list anywhere of all the stuff you can actually salvage, or am I stuck guessing? Help is appreciated.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Salvage a station?
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 10:37:03 PM »

The salvageable stations exist outside the core region.
Also, you may want to reduce the amount of salvage rigs in your fleet to 2-3, diminishing returns and all that.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 10:39:55 PM »

The ability to salvage things is determined by how much crew and heavy machinery do you have. Salvage gantry is just  bonus on top of that.
Sporeship station in Penelope's Star is not salvageable, just like all stations in the core worlds. It's just a pre-set landmark with no gameplay purpose.

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2019, 08:49:45 AM »

lol ok, thanks all. I fully explored the system, so I did not realize it was part of the core worlds (which I understand are special and not subject to most of the RNG stuff the outer worlds are). I have salvages many smaller stations in the outer worlds, which is why I got so confused when I found this one. I also understand that stuff like derelict solar shades etc are also "special" and have no purpose other than flavor/atmosphere, correct?

I guess I will just squirrel away the redundant rigs in case of accidents. 

Question: will there ever be a use for those bespoke derelicts? Claiming them and turning them into something useful would be really nice. (I did not notice anything on the main site about it)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2019, 09:10:05 AM »

Question: will there ever be a use for those bespoke derelicts?
You can stash cargo, weapons and ships there.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

LucusLoC

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2019, 09:20:28 AM »

on some of them sure, but I have found quite a few that "leave" is the only interaction allowed (after reading the flavor text). It just seems. . . unfinished (feel free ti insert a "duh" here). I just wanted to know if there was a plan to flesh them out a bit, cause leaving them that way would just be super annoying. We can effectively strip mine an entire planet of artifacts, but we cannot harvest or reutilize these much more accessible structures? I mean, I can see suggestions for using them al over, but I have not seen any official comments on the matter, and I was wondering if there were any.

ZeCaptain

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 07:03:07 PM »

There's a few orbital structures like that in the core systems, you can leave cargo and ships there at no cost and no risk. Great for bringing that XIV battlecarrier back and storing it there and using later to transport crew for your first colony.

Also good for storing all your illegal commodities like AI cores and recreational drugs so you don't lose them to a random cargo scan later.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 07:04:44 PM by ZeCaptain »