Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: 600 speed drifting  (Read 1124 times)

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
600 speed drifting
« on: September 09, 2019, 02:35:00 PM »

I was having some fun with plasma burn on the shrike when I got sandwiched between a Paragon and a Apogee. I tried to plasma drive out but accidentally bounced off of the Paragon's shields and flamed out at 600+ speed. By the time engines were repaired I had drifted from one end of the tactical map to the other. Is this an intended feature?

Same thing happened to my XIV Legion. I burndrived into a friendly ship (also a Paragon) and drifted right in front of a Radiant
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 02:37:36 PM by Tackywheat1 »

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 600 speed drifting
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2019, 02:38:28 PM »

Well, it's obviously nonsense, but not a bug either. Plasma Burn and Burn Drive ships are really prone to pinballing like that.

Would make more sense if any time your engines are disabled max speed was reset to default maximum.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2019, 02:41:09 PM »

Would make more sense if any time your engines are disabled max speed was reset to default maximum.

I'll just say that I could certainly do that, but I'm choosing not to :)

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2019, 02:47:42 PM »

One time I was fighting a battle and two spinning Onslaught wreckages went flying across my screen. I have no idea how that happened.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2019, 03:13:33 PM »

I do this sometimes intentionally to disengage stations with odyssey. Ram the station with plasma burn, overload the shields and flame out and spin off the end of the map faster than the stations projectiles can keep up with you.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2019, 03:30:21 PM »

I do this sometimes intentionally to disengage stations with odyssey. Ram the station with plasma burn, overload the shields and flame out and spin off the end of the map faster than the stations projectiles can keep up with you.
I've only had the high speed drift occur when I hit friendly ships though. I actually reversed a low tech stations spin by burn driving into it with my Legion

Zeeheld

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2019, 07:45:50 AM »

Was your pilot's name Takumi Fujiwara?
Did this song start playing?

https://youtu.be/dv13gl0a-FA

If so, it's definitely a feature, not a bug.

Cool story, bro.