Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Hegemony Standard  (Read 15667 times)

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
Hegemony Standard
« on: March 13, 2012, 07:32:03 PM »

Eh, just threw this together this night.  Thought the Hegemony needed a good old-fashioned icon.  A cog with a fist inside sounded pretty good, represents the utter firepower and numbers the Hegemony holds within its fleets.
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Hegemony Standard
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 08:57:01 PM »

Cool, but kinda generic.  No offense.  In fact, I think it's strikingly similar to the Red Faction logo:

kevindrosario

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:29:40 PM »

I think a clenched fist represents rebellion. The Hegemony seems like it's the authority, so IMO a clenched fist would not represent them very well.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:43:29 PM »

I think a clenched fist represents rebellion. The Hegemony seems like it's the authority, so IMO a clenched fist would not represent them very well.

That was my first impression. This might be a good standard for some sort of independent pirate faction, but not as the Hegemony's emblem. After all, the fist is a symbolism for resistance and has "power-to-the-people" connotations. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raised_fist

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 11:33:49 PM »

Also, the connotations of violence in the raised fist make it a bit too blatant for an organisation like the Hegemony to adopt, it'd seem to me. You'd have to have a pretty damn bad lack of PR sense to create an organisation with the aim of bringing the Sector together as one entity and then give its symbol that adversarial a tone.

In that light, I'd expect the symbol to be something that evokes thoughts of space (as a thing that the Hegemony helps gulf for the members), protection (say, a shield) or some generally positive symbol of authority/nobility of spirit (swords, eagles, maybe stars, that kind of thing).

That's my 2 centi-credits, at least.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:39:08 PM »

In that light, I'd expect the symbol to be something that evokes thoughts of space (as a thing that the Hegemony helps gulf for the members), protection (say, a shield) or some generally positive symbol of authority/nobility of spirit (swords, eagles, maybe stars, that kind of thing).

The Alliance Navy emblem comes to mind ;)
http://images.wikia.com/masseffect/images/6/6d/Alliance_Navy_seal.png

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2012, 03:14:34 AM »

Hmm....I'll try to work on it. XD
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.

Psygnosis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2012, 04:57:31 AM »

from the "comming together" i thought of the atari symbol

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2012, 05:30:11 AM »

Eh, just threw this together this night.  Thought the Hegemony needed a good old-fashioned icon.  A cog with a fist inside sounded pretty good, represents the utter firepower and numbers the Hegemony holds within its fleets.

I just want to steal the cog....... Can I for my own factions logo? ;D

Temstar

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2012, 07:10:15 AM »

Apologies to Relic

What it all means:

Planet and moon - Terra and Luna, the homeworld of mankind and the seat of power for the Domain of Man. A reminder of the shared origin of mankind regardless of diaspora or belief.
Five stars - the five original core worlds of the Hegemony, with the biggest star representing Hasteus Prime, capital of the Hegemony
Wings - mankind's reach towards the stars, also Strike Force Pollux, the original military arm of the Hegemony. The wings flanking both Earth and the core worlds represent the protection offered by Hegemony to its citizens from the unbearable horrors that lurk amongst the stars.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2012, 07:59:16 AM »

. . .

I LOVE IT!  :o

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2012, 09:01:00 AM »

would it look better flipped?  Seems like the wings should be going up and out, not...   down...

It looks brilliant, though.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

TheCornerBro

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2012, 11:03:05 AM »

Yeah that would look even more awesome flipped :P

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2012, 11:13:21 AM »

Wait no, we should say it's because the hegemony flies to hell and back, for you, Loyal citizen.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2012, 11:45:01 AM »

I just want to steal the cog....... Can I for my own factions logo? ;D
Go ahead.  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3