Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: A warning about jumping into a pulsar beam  (Read 2360 times)

Amoebka

• Admiral
    • View Profile
A warning about jumping into a pulsar beam
« on: September 08, 2019, 12:41:40 PM »

We get a warning when there's a hostile fleet on the other side of a jump gate, but no warning at all about dangerous terrain (pulsar beams). Surely whatever probes we are using are able to detect those? I personally like the sensation of being blown away straight out the gate, but for newer players not knowing to burn immediately or having emergency supply stockpiles that's probably a reload.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A warning about jumping into a pulsar beam
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 01:35:29 PM »

The fleet warrning went in because there could be a doom fleet behind every jump point.

But when you jump into a neutron star you know there could be a pulsar beam behind it no warning necessary

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 02:57:21 PM »

Why would you need a warning? Surfing Pulsar beams to the edges of the system is fun!!! :3
Check out my ships

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 03:10:49 PM »

I think it would be cool if you could see what direction the beams are in when you look at the star from hyperspace. It's more subtle than a warning, but still lets you avoid accidentally jumping into the beam. It could look pretty cool too.

Ragebrew

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 04:58:32 PM »

I think it would be cool if you could see what direction the beams are in when you look at the star from hyperspace. It's more subtle than a warning, but still lets you avoid accidentally jumping into the beam. It could look pretty cool too.

This would be nice. I generally just avoid all neutron stars because dropping into the beam, even for a second, can take a huge chunk out of my supply stocks.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 05:27:34 PM »

It's easy enough to save scum when jumping into neutron systems, and the game actually is tracking where the beam is so if you jump into the beam, just reload (assuming you saved right before) and wait 5-10 seconds longer and then jump in again. If you're playing iron man, then it's probably not worth going into those systems unless you've planned for it and brought tons of supplies, or if you're generally swimming in supplies.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 05:36:43 PM »

It is annoying to be forced to visit a neutron star system because a pirate base keeps respawning in there.  That was one of the main reasons why I took Navigation after resuming my save.  I got tired of E-Burning across pulsars twice because I did not have Transverse Jump to warp at the planet where the pirate base always respawns at.

Knowing if the pulsar beam overlaps the jump point would be nice for those without Transverse Jump.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 06:12:21 PM »

Tip: If you have Transverse Jump, always jump into neutron systems on a planet (if there is one there). You can very quickly get into the shadow if you get unlucky.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2019, 12:34:02 AM »

We get a warning when there's a hostile fleet on the other side of a jump gate, but no warning at all about dangerous terrain (pulsar beams). Surely whatever probes we are using are able to detect those? I personally like the sensation of being blown away straight out the gate, but for newer players not knowing to burn immediately or having emergency supply stockpiles that's probably a reload.

A one time pop up message about the danger of neutron stars would be cool.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2019, 12:38:24 AM »

Would be nice if planets/wormholes currently in beam's path were visibly leaking beam particles when viewed from hyperspace.
Visually appealing, and lacks annoyance of a popup.

...Right,  that was already mentioned.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 12:44:44 AM by TaLaR »