Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Scaled Interface  (Read 2676 times)

Mals

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Scaled Interface
« on: September 08, 2019, 09:31:56 AM »

Hey all! Just bought the game and I really enjoy it! The issue is that I play at 4x and the font is super tiny. Is there any way to increase the font size or change the UI scaling? It sucks that I need to change the res to 1080p. Thanks!

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Scaled Interface
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2019, 09:33:11 AM »

Not at this time.  May get fixed in the future; you're not the only one having this experience. 

Just ordered a 4K monitor to see this for myself.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2019, 09:37:03 AM »

Hi! Yeah, 4k/UI scaling support will be in the next release. (See here and here for a quick example of what some of that looks like.)

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 09:48:22 AM »

That looks great!

On the VM management... I hope we'll have a mod-side tag for that (i.e., for mods that consume significant RAM for things other than graphics / sound / music, as uncommon as that is)?
Xeno's Mod Pack

Mals

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 10:05:33 AM »

Many thanks for your replies. Will keep losing ships at 1080p for now

To avoid opening a new thread: what newcomer mods would you recommend for a non-bountyHunter playthrough (industry+explore)

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 10:06:39 AM »

That looks great!

On the VM management... I hope we'll have a mod-side tag for that (i.e., for mods that consume significant RAM for things other than graphics / sound / music, as uncommon as that is)?

See: http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=4760.msg258976#msg258976

Many thanks for your replies. Will keep losing ships at 1080p for now

That's the spirit!

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 10:21:57 AM »

Excellent!  Looks great!
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2019, 08:16:33 PM »

On 3840X2160:

1.  Yup, fonts and fine details just blur away.
2.  Fullscreen crashes when attempting to set to 1920/1080 fullscreen.  Not quite sure what's up there, I'm still investigating.
3.  There aren't any GIANT SQUARE MODES.  Now that I can do that and have it at 1:1 at basically Tachyon Lance ranges... I want it!
4.  There are weirdnesses with pixel scaling / mushing that are new-feeling.  At the biggest vertical resolutions I've tried, things got blurry and it feels like something in the zoom code is a little funky.  Nothing earth-shattering, it just doesn't feel as crisp as it used to.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2019, 08:28:56 PM »

OK, I got it to "run" in 1920/1080, but not in fullscreen; it ran at full resolution but the game was in the top-left corner.

3840X2160 fullscreen doesn't run, period. 

No resolutionOverride value with a vertical > 2000 could run at all over here.  So the best I've been able to get the game to run tonight is 1920/1440.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2019, 08:37:14 PM »

1980X2160 runs.  Odd, that you cannot do the reverse, but ah well.
Xeno's Mod Pack

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2019, 08:39:27 PM »

3440x1440 runs without issues for me.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2019, 10:20:03 PM »

I'll try that one out.
Xeno's Mod Pack

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2019, 10:21:41 PM »

No dice on that resolution. 
Xeno's Mod Pack

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2019, 01:18:10 AM »

When running a lower resolution in full screen, you want to force your graphics driver to keep the aspect ratio. It may give you some vertical or horizontal black bars, but everything should display correctly otherwise. For AMD graphics cards, you enable Display > Graphics Scaling, and then you select Scaling Mode > Preserve aspect ratio. I'm sure NVIDIA has a similar setting.

xenoargh

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2019, 02:28:54 AM »

OK, I've (finally) managed to get it to run in 3840x2160.  Took some doing, figuring out what was wrong, but I got it sorted. 

Essentially, on Windows 10, it now has a setting to "override high-DPI settings".  This is the future; with higher-resolution monitors rapidly becoming the norm, UI scaling is presumed; applications in pixel scales are definitely going to have various issues.  So that setting is mainly for legacy applications that cannot respond to requests to scale things like UI up, applications that won't request large-scale fullscreen, etc.  I had to set that to "Scaling performed by Application" to get this working right.

1.  It won't run fullscreen.  It throws an error.  This is odd, since it works in windowed mode.  But fine, whatever, it's using the whole screen, right? 

2.  Interestingly, performance is not impacted greatly.  The game's still CPU-bound.  The load shifts a bit but not the root causes. 

I'll probably take another long look at that, see what's up at this scale, since FWIW, this is where more people than not will be in a year or two (i.e., around Gold).  I definitely feel like I should turn Vsync off and see what, if any, impact that has (I can't imagine much, given that the OpenGL state-machine's in lockstep with the game logic, but hey, who knows). 

It might also be interesting if we could lock the state-machine to lower speeds but keep the rendering engine higher, take advantage of some frame averaging, etc., rather than just some buffer-swap.

3.  It's pretty glorious seeing the battles at that scale, but the full-screen whiteout on ship deaths is definitely *not* a great thing at that point; really should be something that does some gradient and makes use of the scale better.  There are few things more unpleasant than getting a face full of bright LED on a modern screen, though.
Xeno's Mod Pack
Pages: [1] 2