Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] ED Shipyard 2.1.2 (crash fix)  (Read 268693 times)

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] ED Shipyard 1.9.5 (updated 21/11/2019)
« Reply #180 on: November 26, 2019, 02:57:22 PM »

Working on guns now
Looking forward to those! :)

I've spent a bit more time on polishing the terriers:
- no-return bug fixed.
- Made them stay in a "locked" position near their hangar bays when they're not in use. <- Is that what you meant?
- fixed some docking bugs where sometimes they flew into nothingness during the docking animation.
- tried to make them less sluggy after delivering their goods, but ship.setMass() does not seem to affect their maneuverability at all -.-

Hope you like it :)

Its very good! they are pretty efficient now, i will use your whole file if you don't mind, i will just add a bit of randomness in the position they stay while idle, i prefer if they move around like normal fighters when not doing anything.
Check out my ships

WASP103

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 26, 2019, 11:17:42 PM »

Its very good! they are pretty efficient now, i will use your whole file if you don't mind, i will just add a bit of randomness in the position they stay while idle, i prefer if they move around like normal fighters when not doing anything.

Thanks for the kudos! :)
And I‘d be happy to contribute. Mind if I do the randomizing part today? Got some time to spare. And I also thought about giving the maltese some of the enhancements in pathfinding. :)

Do you know anything about the setMass() functions or how we could influence that on empty deliveriy drones? :)

Edit:
This is Terriers cling to a more randomized location on the hull (still based off of the docking bay location)

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 02:17:52 AM by WASP103 »

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 27, 2019, 04:24:06 AM »

Thanks for the kudos! :)
And I‘d be happy to contribute. Mind if I do the randomizing part today? Got some time to spare. And I also thought about giving the maltese some of the enhancements in pathfinding. :)

Do you know anything about the setMass() functions or how we could influence that on empty deliveriy drones? :)

Edit:
This is Terriers cling to a more randomized location on the hull (still based off of the docking bay location)

If setMass is not working for this you can give them a maneuverability buff by increasing acceleration and deceleration instead, maybe 20% would be fine. I already did the random flying while idle, but doesn't look too good, i will check yours later and replace mine if it looks better.

If you want to do it for the Maltese too it would be a nice help i was going to do this myself, but if you do i can focus on other stuff, just make sure to keep the behavior where they move quickly while healing.
Check out my ships

WASP103

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 27, 2019, 09:39:10 AM »

If setMass is not working for this you can give them a maneuverability buff by increasing acceleration and deceleration instead, maybe 20% would be fine. I already did the random flying while idle, but doesn't look too good, i will check yours later and replace mine if it looks better.

If you want to do it for the Maltese too it would be a nice help i was going to do this myself, but if you do i can focus on other stuff, just make sure to keep the behavior where they move quickly while healing.

Yeps, will make sure they keep humming :)

Ah, I misunderstood you there. I thought you wanted to have the terriers stay close to the hull.
I'm afraid they are too sluggish to keep up with most carriers, unless we use some positioning magic on them when they're idling near the carrier.

I made them a bit more dynamic when idling next to the carrier. They don't just play dead now. Maybe this works for you already?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 09:46:10 AM by WASP103 »

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 27, 2019, 03:02:12 PM »

Yeps, will make sure they keep humming :)

Ah, I misunderstood you there. I thought you wanted to have the terriers stay close to the hull.
I'm afraid they are too sluggish to keep up with most carriers, unless we use some positioning magic on them when they're idling near the carrier.

I made them a bit more dynamic when idling next to the carrier. They don't just play dead now. Maybe this works for you already?

I was trying to mimic the behavior of normal fighters when they dance around while idling, so the drones are still too static, but this is still better than what i did before.
I did some more testing and found a problem, the drones get confused easily and keep changing their minds for a while if there are several viable weapons to be reloaded in different ships nearby, in this video you can see the 2 drones near the center changing their minds over and over until they settle for one of the pomeranians, i think they shouldn't update targets sooner than every 5 seconds.

https://streamable.com/0xj0m
Check out my ships

WASP103

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 27, 2019, 06:26:36 PM »

I was trying to mimic the behavior of normal fighters when they dance around while idling, so the drones are still too static, but this is still better than what i did before.
I did some more testing and found a problem, the drones get confused easily and keep changing their minds for a while if there are several viable weapons to be reloaded in different ships nearby, in this video you can see the 2 drones near the center changing their minds over and over until they settle for one of the pomeranians, i think they shouldn't update targets sooner than every 5 seconds.

I see where you're coming from with the fighter movement. I just think they're too sluggish to match that exact behaviour.

the thing you see on the video is not so much about the weapons choosing, it's rather got to do with the movement prediction, I'm afraid. Especially if the target is a fast mover and does a circling motion, then the drones will have a hard timr properly converging to it.
In the file there's some MagicRender stuff commented out on lines 23 and 347. if you uncomment that, you will see little red dots for where their aiming point is.

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2019, 05:07:43 AM »

I see where you're coming from with the fighter movement. I just think they're too sluggish to match that exact behaviour.

the thing you see on the video is not so much about the weapons choosing, it's rather got to do with the movement prediction, I'm afraid. Especially if the target is a fast mover and does a circling motion, then the drones will have a hard timr properly converging to it.
In the file there's some MagicRender stuff commented out on lines 23 and 347. if you uncomment that, you will see little red dots for where their aiming point is.

i have an idea, instead of sending the drone to the exact predicted point you could send it to the midpoint between the exact location of the target and the prediction, the further away the closer to the predicted point you send the drone, if the drone is closer to the target instead send it closer to the exact location of the target.

If you don't feel like implementing it i will do later, no need to force yourself.
Check out my ships

WASP103

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 28, 2019, 06:43:17 AM »

i have an idea, instead of sending the drone to the exact predicted point you could send it to the midpoint between the exact location of the target and the prediction, the further away the closer to the predicted point you send the drone, if the drone is closer to the target instead send it closer to the exact location of the target.

https://i.imgur.com/thjyRBa.png

If you don't feel like implementing it i will do later, no need to force yourself.

I think I've finally fixed it :)
It now basically uses the aimpoint like a carrot on a stick, always pointing it just a bit in front of the drone. That basically achieves something approximating a constant bearing.
And I've implemented a check to prevent them from turning in circles when the target ship flies directly towards the drone.

P.S. I've left the targeting reticles activated in the file, just comment the magicRender stuff out before shipping  :)

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 28, 2019, 08:00:09 AM »

https://i.imgur.com/thjyRBa.png

I think I've finally fixed it :)
It now basically uses the aimpoint like a carrot on a stick, always pointing it just a bit in front of the drone. That basically achieves something approximating a constant bearing.
And I've implemented a check to prevent them from turning in circles when the target ship flies directly towards the drone.

P.S. I've left the targeting reticles activated in the file, just comment the magicRender stuff out before shipping  :)

Thanks again, i will check it (and comment the waypoints) after work tonight.
Check out my ships

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 28, 2019, 04:55:00 PM »

Released 1.9.7

Spoiler
[close]

Added Pirate Retriever
Remodeled Pirate Beauceron and the detonator drone
Wurgandal Weapon modules now have 2 extra small universal slots
Wurgandal Weapon had their OP increased to 120 from 100
Wurgandal Hangar modules now have a universal instead of composite large weapon
Wurgandal Hangar modules had the ship system changed to mine teleport (pomeranian version, not doom version)
Carolina Reload now works with Speed Up
Carolina Reload now has a 5% chance per bullet reloaded to grant Lucky Shot to the next shot increasing damage by 50%
Corrected the feedback angle of the Carlina Reaper shots
Increased damage of detonator drones to 2500 from 1500
Increased explosion radius of detonation frones to 400 from 300
Improved the Terrier AI (thanks to WASP103)
Improved the Maltese AI (thanks to WASP103)
Increased Dust Barrage (48 shot, large) OP cost to 22 from 15
Lowered Dust Quad Launcher (4 shot, small) OP cost to 1 from 3
Lowered Dust Quad Launcher burst size to 1 from 4
Lowered Dust Single Launcher OP cost to 0 from 1
Dust missile Barrage and Cluster how have 4 second cooldown from 2 seconds cooldown
Added Dust Missile Cluster (small, 8 shot)
Added the Shield Breaker Family (Ballistic)
Added the Scatter Cannon Family (Ballistic)
Added Ricocher Pellet Gun (Ballistic)
Added Magna Blaster (Energy)
Added Cluster Cannon (Ballistic)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2019, 05:47:37 PM by Ed »
Check out my ships

DyonisX

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] ED Shipyard 1.9.7 (updated 28/11/2019)
« Reply #190 on: November 28, 2019, 06:52:10 PM »

wow I managed to catch an update released today

Mr. Nobody

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 29, 2019, 01:45:31 AM »

Some issues in the descriptions in the image:

1) Ricochet Pellet Gun: [...]more of an interesting tricket
2) Heavy/Mega Shield breaker, the description says 12/16 shots, the weapon card says 14/20 shots
On the left half of the Bell curve

WASP103

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 29, 2019, 03:14:20 AM »

Holy *** that’s a nice arsenal of new weapons.
Do not fully understand the fragmentation rounds that bounce on hull yet, but I can‘t wait to get my hands on one of those buggers.

Also the anti carrier gun looks like it’s becoming my new friend. But need to see the stuff in action, which I‘m looking forward to :)

Thank you especially for mentioning my contrib :)

Can‘t wait to get home and try out the new gimmicks.

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: November 29, 2019, 05:55:37 AM »

Some issues in the descriptions in the image:

1) Ricochet Pellet Gun: [...]more of an interesting tricket
2) Heavy/Mega Shield breaker, the description says 12/16 shots, the weapon card says 14/20 shots

Yeah i noticed right before going to bed yesterday, it will be fixed next update, sorry for that.

Holy *** that’s a nice arsenal of new weapons.
Do not fully understand the fragmentation rounds that bounce on hull yet, but I can‘t wait to get my hands on one of those buggers.

Also the anti carrier gun looks like it’s becoming my new friend. But need to see the stuff in action, which I‘m looking forward to :)

Thank you especially for mentioning my contrib :)

Can‘t wait to get home and try out the new gimmicks.

Please tell me what you think about them alter, i want some feedback on those guns.
Check out my ships

Alavaria

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 29, 2019, 08:12:18 AM »

Right now the Pugs seem to be very interested in spamming their Wisp launchers but not actually shooting at things, even when their parent ship is very close to the enemy.

It might be worse on larger ships, if their leashing range is calculated from the middle of the ship, as their own carrier's sprite is itself occupying a lot of their useable range. At least when they are being used by an AI-controlled ship (since a lot of those like to stay with a little bit of distance, this is very obvious, since the ship will be shooting with its forward weapons while its Pugs just sit by the side).
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 27