Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Please allow the Dutch to buy your game.  (Read 3026 times)

draats

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Please allow the Dutch to buy your game.
« on: September 07, 2019, 12:26:55 PM »

Not sure if this should go into Support or Suggestions, feel free to move to appropriate subforum.

Now I admit the title is a little clickbaity, sorry for that.
It's just that I really want to buy this game, and all the payment options are, well.. not an option.
I don't have a credit card, and after having my telephone number spammed for 3 years by scammers and marketeers I refuse to give my phone number to anything online.
This leaves only Paypal. (don't have crypto either)
I have used Paypal in the past, there is money in that account, but for some mysterious reason Paypal has blocked my account (maybe inactivity? it worked the last time) and re-activating it has been near-impossible so far.

I do regularly buy stuff online though, so how do I do it?
How do (almost) all Dutchies do it?

I'm requesting a specific payment option be added, that is by far the best know and most used way to make online payments in the Netherlands.
It is so common that a store simply cannot ignore it if it wants to sell stuff online to the Dutch, think steam, amazon, AliExpress, H&M, Zalando and just about every major (and minor) retailer. Really, everyone!
It's called Ideal (https://www.ideal.nl/en/)
It's set up by the banks themselves, because the Dutch mostly do not have a credit card for online shopping.
It basically a go-between, to ensure security, ease of use, and speed for bank transfers.
Unlike bank transfers the retailers receive a confirmation the funds have been transferred immediately, not unlike a credit card payment.
All the Dutch banks support it.
Unsurprisingly it was a great success.

So please add the option to pay with Ideal.
If that's impossible maybe a bank transfer without giving all that pesky personal information like phone number and address?
Thanks!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Please allow the Dutch to buy your game.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2019, 12:30:41 PM »

Hi - is using a prepaid card an option for you? I understand they're fairly common in the EU, though I don't know specifically about the Netherlands.

draats

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2019, 01:12:25 PM »

Hi - is using a prepaid card an option for you? I understand they're fairly common in the EU, though I don't know specifically about the Netherlands.
Well I looked into the paysafecard option, but it requires a 25 euro card. (or 2 at 10 euro, closer)
It can't be topped up / charged to a specific amount as far as I can see.
And I don't think I'd be able to use the remaining balance, so not great..
But yes, it is an option, I would be able to buy that.
I'll look into it.

My bank doesn't offer a prepaid creditcard so far as I could find.

Gotcha!

• Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Welcome to New Hiigara
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2019, 12:54:21 AM »

Fellow Dutch guy here. Paypal works great. It's even linked to my bank account for a lot of convenience, able to make even small purchases without having to transfer money from my bank to Paypal. If I were you I'd try to fix that account.
Have you tried to make a new Paypal account? Or perhaps contact Paypal and ask why your account has been closed?

That said, iDeal is very convenient for us, but I can imagine that Alex would have to pay fees in order to use this service. (Not sure, just an assumption.)

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2019, 02:23:29 AM »

UK folk have the option to use a debit card.
Is there a reason this is not available to a wider range of places? It seems like by far the easiest and least circuitous method of purchasing things.

I don't know how much effort it would require to expand the availability of the debit option, but it will very likely not be zero.
Nor do I know how much return would be seen for doing so, and whether it would be 'worth' the effort.
All I can add is that if debit had not been an option, I would have never bought this game.

draats

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2019, 02:30:57 AM »

Fellow Dutch guy here. Paypal works great. It's even linked to my bank account for a lot of convenience, able to make even small purchases without having to transfer money from my bank to Paypal. If I were you I'd try to fix that account.
Have you tried to make a new Paypal account? Or perhaps contact Paypal and ask why your account has been closed?
The people on the phone said they would fix it, but then somehow didn't.
Nobody is replying to my emails.
I'll try to call again I suppose, right now Paypal is the more convenient option. (well Ideal is more convenient, but here we are :P)
Too bad Paypal doesn't answer the phone in the weekend.

That said, iDeal is very convenient for us, but I can imagine that Alex would have to pay fees in order to use this service. (Not sure, just an assumption.)
Yes, I looked into that. It does have fees. But so does Paypal and all payment processors.
I'm not sure what fees Alex is paying to Paypal. I understand it is some percentage of the total sum, like 2-5%
Depending on the way he structures it with Ideal the fees are a fixed amount per transaction. Lowest tier subscription (10-20 euro/month) seems to be 20-25 cents per transaction. So for this game closer to 1-1.5%.
Note here that paysafecard charges a 12% fee, afterpay 3,65%, and most credit cards 1,5-3%.
But yeah, I get it, it's a lot of hassle for not that many customers.

For now I will try again to make Paypal work.

Edit:
UK folk have the option to use a debit card.
Is there a reason this is not available to a wider range of places? It seems like by far the easiest and least circuitous method of purchasing things.

I don't know how much effort it would require to expand the availability of the debit option, but it will very likely not be zero.
Nor do I know how much return would be seen for doing so, and whether it would be 'worth' the effort.
All I can add is that if debit had not been an option, I would have never bought this game.
For the debit card options I must add a phone number in the web form.
After being spammed to near-insanity by scammers and telemarketeers for 3 years I will not give my phone number to anything online.
So that's not an option for me.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2019, 02:32:48 AM by draats »

Serenitis

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2019, 02:55:00 AM »

So that's not an option for me.
Apologies, I had no idea such a requirement existed. I certainly doesn't here.
Curiosity spurred me to read about Dutch banking and payment options for overseas. It certainly seems like it could be easier....
The phone number could possibly be related to the SMS push notifications / 2factor validation things? But if you've been burned by something similar before I can understand your reaction.
I hope you can find a way around this.

draats

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2019, 04:45:12 AM »

It'll probably have to be Paypal, if they ever decide to help their customers.  :'(

When this game makes its way to Steam I could just use Ideal through them, but I can't wait for that to happen.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2019, 09:31:35 AM »

It'll probably have to be Paypal, if they ever decide to help their customers.  :'(

When this game makes its way to Steam I could just use Ideal through them, but I can't wait for that to happen.
Definitely not going to be on steam but it might be on itch.io or GoG
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2019, 09:51:21 AM »

Alex has said 1.0 will be on Steam.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2019, 10:04:43 AM »

Alex has said 1.0 will be on Steam.

I haven't - I've consistently said that I'm going to look at Steam at around that time. A lot depends on what Steam is like at that point, what the alternatives are, how things are going, etc. I'm definitely not going to commit to it being on Steam, and any time someone asks about it, I suggest not basing a purchasing decision based on whether it'll be on Steam or not, since that's not something that can be counted on.

draats

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2019, 10:19:32 AM »

Well I've never heard of itch.io, but GoG definitely accepts Ideal.

I haven't - I've consistently said that I'm going to look at Steam at around that time. A lot depends on what Steam is like at that point, what the alternatives are, how things are going, etc. I'm definitely not going to commit to it being on Steam, and any time someone asks about it, I suggest not basing a purchasing decision based on whether it'll be on Steam or not, since that's not something that can be counted on.
either way, I'm not patient enough to wait for it to be added to anything.
I was hoping your payment processor (I assume you don't do the processing yourself) had the option of using Ideal, that it would be like ticking a box.

So I know what i have to do,
Commence the stalking of Paypal!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 10:25:02 AM »

I was hoping your payment processor (I assume you don't do the processing yourself) had the option of using Ideal, that it would be like ticking a box.

Ah, yeah, apologies! Pretty much everything that can be enabled is enabled. They'd have to do dev work (and I imagine business work) on their end to make that happen; since they haven't already, there's probably a reason why...

draats

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2019, 11:00:55 AM »

Ah, yeah, apologies! Pretty much everything that can be enabled is enabled. They'd have to do dev work (and I imagine business work) on their end to make that happen; since they haven't already, there's probably a reason why...
Oh well, thanks for checking! :)

outdated

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2019, 11:04:42 AM »

Wouldn't it be great if one could buy the game on GOG or Steam? Which would also allow for regional pricing, because you know, most of Earth's population doesn't live in first world countries.
Pages: [1] 2