Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Accurate reflection of damage  (Read 4062 times)

theShadow

• Lieutenant
  • Power Overwhelming
    • View Profile
Accurate reflection of damage
« on: March 25, 2012, 09:45:13 PM »

the visual damage is cool, however I feel it would be better if it more accurately reflected how damaged your ship actually is. Oftentimes I will have some fighters piddling away at my my ship, doing practically no damage whatsoever. I usually ignore them, focusing on bigger threats, but even though my ship is still close to full health, my hull looks like burnt swiss cheese, like i'm moments away from being space garbage.

Just something to think about.
Quote from: Archon
Why has a developer ever needed any reason other than "it looks bloody awesome"?

I do 3D modeling and map creation for an open source fps called xonotic

Allectus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Accurate reflection of damage
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 10:48:52 PM »

Visual damage indicates your armor damage, as does the colored silhouette in the status readout.  Given that armor resistance is directional I think that approach is ideal, otherwise you restrict the system to having, say, four facings of armor (in order to keep readouts manageable) rather than the more sophisticated approach we have now.  Your actual hull hp, which is global, is noted both as a lifebar and a numerical readout.  Given the nature of each I honestly think the representation on individual ships is near ideal tbh.

The one point where I feel it could perhaps be improved is in the tactical map--you can't tell at a glance the armor status of the ships in your fleet, only their hull HP, which can be a tad misleading in relating the actual survivability of the ship.  In the tacmap I think it might be reasonable to replace the ship icons with their respective armor grid overlays (as long as game performance can be maintained).  Though to keep ships identifiable at a glance it would probably be best to replace missing armor chunks with red grid squares, rather than black/missing.

In fact, I'd even like a little sidebar indicating status of the entire fleet even when not in the tacmap.  Something like the sidebar in sins of a solar empire (though again using the armor silhouettes instead of just simple icons, plus of course the hull/flux bars).  There have been numerous times where I've been manually piloting for just 30 seconds or so, only to come to the tacmap and realize that I somehow lost half my fleet while I wasn't paying attention...Obviously if that happens it means I positioned myself poorly, but I'd still like to know that my ships are at least on their way to going boom, rather than having the sinking feeling of noticing a conspicuous absence...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 10:53:44 PM by Allectus »

cp252

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2012, 01:29:39 PM »

The current system works better than anything I can think of... having my 100% ship look all smashed up after a battle makes me cry though.  :'(
Health bars next to ships on the command map might be nice. Armour display too. Clicking all your ships one by one doesn't make for fast fighting.

Thaago

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
  • Harpoon Affectionado
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2012, 02:53:28 PM »

To me the current system makes a lot of sense - you can see the superficial damage of armor being blown away before parts of the ships innards are eating vacuum. Something to remember is that hull being at 100% doesn't mean your ship isn't damaged; on a lot of ships the armor is a very significant part of their health.

I take my ships looking like swiss cheese as a major warning: the instant the armor fails the ship is in for a LOT of pain! Without damage reduction lots of ships that are not a threat suddenly become so (1200 dps per talon wing, for example...) and even on lightly armored ships stray shots/missiles become much more of a threat.

Zapier

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »

Also, you can see how much armor you have, albeit graphically, and I don't mean by looking physically at your ship or those of the enemy. For your own, the bottom left display that shows green means perfect armor. As your armor is being destroyed in various locations you can see which locations are actually weakening by that green disappearing. As already stated, putting numbers on armor levels won't help as the armor is much more varied than just fore, aft, etc.

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 11:55:31 PM »

I actually kind of agree here...since you already have an armour display, it would be better if your ship only started to look trashed as it took hull damage. The issue I can see with this, though, is that the game presumably doesn't track damage to hull quadrants in the same way as it does armour, so Alex would have to implement a whole extra level of damage tracking to be able to show this; plus, it would inevitably lead to questions like, "That missile hit a part of my ship that didn't look damaged, how come it took out the rest of my hull and blew me up?".

Kaitol

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 10:10:29 AM »

Armor is the outside of your ship. Once its completely gone the delicious, ugly, weak inner shell is exposed. It makes sense that once the outside of your ship is completely gone, it looks trashed. Because, it sorta is.

Hopelessnoob

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 02:41:57 PM »

Just because your hull is fine your armor is not. you can generally tell how much armor you have by how pretty your ship is and if it isn't on fire.