Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What's the point of restoring a ship ?  (Read 7828 times)

lowpolygon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
What's the point of restoring a ship ?
« on: September 04, 2019, 08:48:47 PM »

I am just wondering, I salvaged a Paragon with 2 (Can't remember clearly) d mods, I thought I would restore it and only to find out it is actually cheaper to buy a new Paragon than restoring the current one.
Is there any reason to restore a damaged ship at all ?

Euphytose

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: What's the point of restoring a ship ?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 09:04:52 PM »

Precisely for when you can't buy / produce a new one.

Limitless

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 09:05:16 PM »

It’s instant, so if you don’t want to wait a month you can just restore and go. Also helpful if you don’t have the blueprint for a ship.

Unreal_One

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 09:06:01 PM »

The reason to restore is if you can't get a fresh, no d-mod one. For instance, you might be at war with the only group that makes them, where you can get plenty of damaged ones from combat, but have no access to good ones. The restoration costing more than a brand new one is a design to make living with a few d-mods the default, while still giving the choice to fix a rare or valued ship.

lowpolygon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 09:13:10 PM »

But why is it so expensive... :'(

Modo44

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 10:28:22 PM »

It has to be expensive, otherwise why would you ever buy or build ships.

sotanaht

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2019, 01:53:43 AM »

It has to be expensive, otherwise why would you ever buy or build ships.
Because buying or building ships is easier than fighting, looting, and restoring them. People would always buy and build ships regardless of how cheap restore is, but there's little to no reason to use restore unless it's made cheaper.  It should be the cheaper option, not the more expensive option.

lowpolygon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2019, 02:47:15 AM »

I agree it should be cheap to restore , but it also shouldn't cost more than a new ship

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 05:37:59 AM »

I agree it should be cheap to restore , but it also shouldn't cost more than a new ship
I agree, especially when building your pristine ship is cheaper than buying them and you get free weapons and commodities with a newly built ship.  Next release, restoration may be more important once we spend story points to add built-in hullmods to ships.

Currently, when I have lots of money to burn, I restore ships for convenience sake.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 05:48:11 AM »

Restoring ships should be less expensive, but in return, they now cost materials.

It keeps the hassle of restoring a ship (since you would most likely want to go to planets with cheap resources / surplus so you can restore your ships for cheaper) but keeps the incentive to buy / build new ships (since getting resources incurs cargo space and a risk of being attacked by hostile factions / pirates, etc, as well as having to find the ship yourself if its a rare ship like a Paragon, as well as having to have a LOT of resources for bigger and rarer ships).

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 06:01:05 AM »

Restoring ships should be less expensive, but in return, they now cost materials.

It keeps the hassle of restoring a ship (since you would most likely want to go to planets with cheap resources / surplus so you can restore your ships for cheaper) but keeps the incentive to buy / build new ships (since getting resources incurs cargo space and a risk of being attacked by hostile factions / pirates, etc, as well as having to find the ship yourself if its a rare ship like a Paragon, as well as having to have a LOT of resources for bigger and rarer ships).
Unless the credit part is almost free, that just shifts the cost from money to resources.  Player spends money on resources too.  (If looted, consider those potential credits too.)

Next release, once I have built-in hull mods on my ships, I probably do not want to buy or build new ships, except to get more duplicates of what I have or new ships from a new ship class I just acquired (whether from market or blueprints), assuming story points are harder to accumulate than money.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 08:48:22 AM »

Unless the credit part is almost free, that just shifts the cost from money to resources.  Player spends money on resources too.  (If looted, consider those potential credits too.)

Next release, once I have built-in hull mods on my ships, I probably do not want to buy or build new ships, except to get more duplicates of what I have or new ships from a new ship class I just acquired (whether from market or blueprints), assuming story points are harder to accumulate than money.

I dunno then, considering nerfing restoring would make d-mods useless outside of specific scavenger builds that benefit from lots of d-mods, instead of the punishment they currently are for getting ambushed / not having enough money for pristine ships and having to make do.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 08:49:34 AM »

I dunno then, considering nerfing restoring would make d-mods useless outside of specific scavenger builds that benefit from lots of d-mods, instead of the punishment they currently are for getting ambushed / not having enough money for pristine ships and having to make do.

(Yep, exactly.)

CommandoDude

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 12:26:03 PM »

Having restoration costs scale by amount of D mods could make it be more reasonable.

Taking 1 Dmod off a ship shouldn't be as hard as say, removing 4.

I do think though that it makes sense for restoration to be expensive, as it is more convenient than hunting down a ship on the market or establishing a way to produce them. Offloading some of the credit cost to materials makes sense though since those are easier to acquire than straight currency.

Grievous69

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2019, 12:28:21 PM »

Having restoration costs scale by amount of D mods could make it be more reasonable.
I'm pretty sure that's already how it works.
Please don't take me too seriously.
Pages: [1] 2 3