Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Am i playing the game wrong?  (Read 2507 times)

Plague_Doctor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Am i playing the game wrong?
« on: September 04, 2019, 10:03:49 AM »

I know this is a stupid question, but do i? About a year passed in my game and mostly i just did exploration missions with a few delivery ones. I have about million bitcoins a hammerhead, two wolfs, 2 shepards, a mudskipper, and a tanker of course. My current plan was to buy a apogee and do more exploration but maybe i should invest in trading and make an actual fighting fleet?

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Am i playing the game wrong?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2019, 10:35:02 AM »

No, that's how everyone seems to play it. Then they throw their "bitcoins?" into colonies and relentlessly complain about swimming in money and fights.

Flying Birdy

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2019, 11:07:18 AM »

I know this is a stupid question, but do i? About a year passed in my game and mostly i just did exploration missions with a few delivery ones. I have about million bitcoins a hammerhead, two wolfs, 2 shepards, a mudskipper, and a tanker of course. My current plan was to buy a apogee and do more exploration but maybe i should invest in trading and make an actual fighting fleet?

The question you need to ask yourself is do you want to have fun? If yes, then don't explore more, blow things up, and make factions hate you. If no, keep afk exploring.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 11:16:57 AM »

You can trade, explore, bounty hunt or engage in piracy/privateering just fine. First three can be done almost exclusively. I have never traded, but I suspect that exploration is only slightly more dangerous than trading, while allowing you to get many blueprints, modspecs and occasionally also ships. Biggest issue with exploring is that coming back to the core and then venturing out again wastes quite some time.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 11:51:59 AM »

No, that's how everyone seems to play it. Then they throw their "bitcoins?" into colonies and relentlessly complain about swimming in money and fights.
I have no problem swimming in money.  Player needs money to do head-of-state or kingly things.  As for fights, that happens whether you have colonies or not.  Core worlds will let pirates decivilize them eventually if player does not intervene for a long time.

Plague_Doctor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 12:09:03 PM »

The question you need to ask yourself is do you want to have fun? If yes, then don't explore more, blow things up, and make factions hate you. If no, keep afk exploring.

Tbh i am having fun just exploring and from time to time beating up some pirates. But i like you're idea more. I think im just going to build up my fleet and then i'll beat up some luddic church ***

Eji1700

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 02:30:50 PM »

Tbh i am having fun just exploring and from time to time beating up some pirates. But i like you're idea more. I think im just going to build up my fleet and then i'll beat up some luddic church ***

To expand a little on this there's sort of 3 "modes" you're going to be in, and your fleet should reflect-

1. Deep space exploration.  You'll want usually faster ships, good fuel, and good cargo.  You will still need to be able to fight dangerous things so don't leave everything at home, but maybe not the time to bring the pirate capital.

2. Heavy trading.  Similar to the previous but you can get by with a lot less fuel and arguably weaker fleets.

3. Heavy fighting.  Often this starts by hunting bounties and pirate bases.  Might swap up your fleet a bit depending on which (carriers with bomber are great for base popping but not so hot for anything smaller than cruisers).  Later this may involve minor raiding or full out attacks, or just defending your faction.

To help with this, there's an abandoned station in Corvus (where the tutorial is).  You can drop off supplies and ships here without having to pay fees, so it can be nice to say, store 3 condors full of piranhas that you use only for station murder.

Further depending on how into you want to get you can swap around hull mods.  Efficiency mods/fuel/survey/solar stuff for exploring, extra cargo for trading, your usual combat stuff for fights (maybe tweaked for raiding if necessary), and so on.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 02:54:25 PM »

Really depends on your playstyle.

Some people enjoy exploring and surveying missions exclusively; dodging hostile scavengers, exploring beacon systems, farming REDACTED, hunting down clues via probes till you find a cryosleeper or mothership and having some fun fighting them, and only ever coming back to core to mass dump resources you don't need and buying the occasional ship.

Others hoist the pirate flag and only hunt down smugglers till they get enough money to hunt mercantile convoys.

Others, such as myself, enjoy the economy portion and make mad stacks of cash by buying low and selling high, exploiting Luddic / Pirate bases for their cheap gear, etc.

Others play it mixed; pirate on the side when they see an opportunity (weak smugglers / pirate / luddic path convoys then sell back to them) while trading whole sale with large freighters.

Lastly, there are some who rush colonies and enjoy the colony side of things. Its possible to get a colony near the start before pirate bases are big enough to bother you if you get a commission and setup a base in core near your commissioned faction. Then build up from that economy and/or invest into your single planet till you can afford more planets. Then later betray your faction by cutting the commision when you can fight them and expand aggressively.

The game is what you make of it at the end of the day; if you enjoy just exploring and killing drones / REDACTED while dodging hostile scavengers, all power to you.

Pappus

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2019, 03:55:15 PM »

As long as you are having fun you are not playing the game wrongly. The game doesn't really have an endgame or a start so do what you want.

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 04:53:36 PM »

there are some who rush colonies and enjoy the colony side of things. Its possible to get a colony near the start before pirate bases are big enough to bother you if you get a commission and setup a base in core near your commissioned faction. Then build up from that economy and/or invest into your single planet till you can afford more planets. Then later betray your faction by cutting the commision when you can fight them and expand aggressively.

The game is what you make of it at the end of the day; if you enjoy just exploring and killing drones / REDACTED while dodging hostile scavengers, all power to you.

Yeah you can literally found a secondary core sector by planting colonies, giving them independence or by turning them over to other factions.   
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 05:18:13 PM »

Yeah you can literally found a secondary core sector by planting colonies, giving them independence or by turning them over to other factions.
That's only with the Nexerelin mod, though; vanilla, your colonies are your colonies and you can either keep them or abandon them, nothing inbetween.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2019, 05:32:28 PM »

That's only with the Nexerelin mod, though; vanilla, your colonies are your colonies and you can either keep them or abandon them, nothing inbetween.
Once colony grows to size 5, player cannot abandon that either.  I suppose player can remove spaceport and do all sorts of things to force decivilization if he really wants to kill it to free a colony slot.

mvp7

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2019, 09:35:06 AM »

I personally started exploring pretty late in the game. At first I stayed exclusively in the inner systems, doing mostly system bounties and occasional trade missions, leveling up and getting hull-mods in the process. Only after I had a decent fleet with couple cruisers, destroyers, frigates and support ships did I start exploring. Exploring quickly netted me about 6 million credits which I then invested into two colonies in a good star system I had found.

I would not start exploring with a tiny fleet like most seem to do. I find it way too dangerous plus it's hard to do bounties and destroy other threats that you run into while exploring if you don't have more advanced fleet. Surveying is also extremely expensive if you don't have enough ships with surveying equipment.

H.J. Fleischmann

• Ensign
  • Greetings from the Void!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2019, 03:05:34 AM »

Everyone has their own priorities, their own goals, and their own sources of fun. Personally? I would say you are playing the game very well if you are enjoying it. I made my money through large amounts of trading and exploiting a certain system until it collapsed. I found it fun and I enjoyed fighting off pirates, but that was my course.
Pink Zeppelin here, BLOWING THEM UP!

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2019, 03:20:02 AM »

I play mostly the same before and after colonies were introduced, although the start up time is MUCH longer now.

I build up fleets, ally with a faction or start my own, and wage stellar wars. I don't pilot myself so I focus more on larger fleet battles over smaller cheeky skirmishes and piracy. Of course now I need to survey the sector and set up viable industries to get myself going as it's harder to just sit on a commission with storage on an allied world.

I mostly just roam around looking for big old fights, I mostly just find pirates and luddites as they are usually only low to moderate risk. But in my current game I am building up, very very slowly, to a proper capital fleet so I can sack to core worlds for their blueprints.

If they were more stable, and I didn't have to worry about immortal pirate and luddite factions rending human civilisation apart, I'd probably be constantly fighting the main factions. But as it stands, de-civilisation is certain without my involvement. With or without -50% accessibility hits from pop-up pirates.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.
Pages: [1] 2