Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.9.1a is out! (05/10/19); Blog post: Raiding for Fun and Profit (11/27/19)

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Gaming's Worst Mechanic  (Read 3853 times)

Midnight Kitsune

• Admiral
  • Your Friendly Forum Friend
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming's Worst Mechanic
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2019, 11:55:44 AM »

I got to throw jumping and climbing in most games.  *cough Elder scrolls* 

Seriously.  a rock is a barrier to advancement.   I can jump in some and climb some places in others.  A simple pile of wood or rocks can be a wall of total impassibility. 

This then gets to world/level design.  When you make things you can't get over.  that IRL you totally could.  Kinda breaks things... 

But i have acrobatics at 100.  so no big deal.
I'd add on to this and say BS levels of fall damage. I remember in some games, Far Cry for example, that sliding down a cliff would half the time be ok and half the time beat away half or more of your health, even without the "fall damage" animation... Forcing me to walk around because I don't want to get beat to hell by *** physics is just S***
Stop trying to balance the game around a few minmaxers...
Programming is like sex:
One mistake and you have to support it for the rest of your life.

Tired of having your game crash because of out of date mods? Then click here!
Spoiler
Get Version Checker today! Now with 90% less hassle! Simply toss it into your mod folder, activate the mod like a normal one and BINGO you will now be informed of any and all updates when you start SS campaign up!
[close]

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2019, 09:32:55 PM »

I remember a game I reviewed where it was a crappy, badly-done DOOM clone, done in 3D.  I was like, "this game has objects in levels that IRL we'd just barely notice stepping over... but they're impassable obstacles with no credibility in this game", lol.  That game is on my short-list for "worst game I've ever played" for a hilarious variety of reasons.
Check out my SS projects :)

pedro1_1

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 09, 2019, 06:52:53 PM »

Pay2Win isn't evil, if it's a reasonable cost and the game is "free-to-play".

When it's like World of Tanks, where buying all the things costs literally tens of thousands of dollars... I kind of scratch my head and wonder what kind of dope they are smoking.  Maybe their research indicates that there are only two types of players:  the "freebies" who duck out instead of putting up some cash, and the "addicts" who'll come up with the money over and over, if only they're allowed to win more often than not.  Probably that's what's driving those designs. 

I avoid all F2P products like the plague, personally, unless I'm going to play them for one day for testing / review purposes.

It's weird because when you actually play WoT no one cares about that random guy with a "Premiun" IS-8 in the team rushing to die by 10 "Gold" shots that were probably bought by silver, the only diference a Premium tank does have is that it get's more silver

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 09, 2019, 08:05:01 PM »

A mechanic I hated: fog of war in single-player Men of War. You have like 5 easily killed guys that you can't replace vs. dozens and dozens of enemies. It just sucked.

In MP the fog was fine, though, since you could always call more reinforcements.

Doogie

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2019, 07:25:14 PM »

After going on that RPG life,

Horse travelling that actually disincentives you to from using them.

Breath of the Wild is an absolutely amazing game and has the best, non-space, world design I've ever seen in a game, but man using a horse felt like a chore since it was only marginally faster and restricted your ability to explore.

On the other hand, Assassin's Creed Origins had one of the more intuitive systems and worked real well.
Pages: 1 2 [3]