Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Kiith Nabaal Shipyard 1.3.1 - Hiigaran Marine & Assault Frigates  (Read 113121 times)

Armithaig

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Amaranth

Damn right, were that'd have the time to make a HW total conversion. Been a bit distracted by my own game project n' mods for other games but'll hop back to Starsector eventually.
Big Vaygr focus for next update, wanted to differentiate 'em more from the Hiigarans and maybe not have all the void bins be midlines. Plus their black/white dazzle skins, not sure 'bout the elite black/red variants could try n' sell 'em as pirates if they got gunked up a bit.

And thank you, feel right sexy after ya buttered me up like that. Try to at least partially match the mod's efforts in presentation, glad's appreciated!

riskyfandango

• Ensign
    • View Profile

hi so ive only just worked out how to add mods etc to games without steam doing it for me and i added this mod (looks fabulous by the way  :) ) along with a few others, unfortunately this one is the only one not currently working. the reason stated is "failed to load version from master url" i imagine im late to the party on this but does anyone know how to fix it ? any help will be greatly appreciated

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile

that's an error from version checker, and can safely be ignored. it pretty much just means this mods integration with version checker is broken somehow, but that won't affect gameplay in any way. the only 'problem' it'd cause is that you'd have to manually check this thread for updates to this mod

riskyfandango

• Ensign
    • View Profile

awesome! thanks so much for the assist, i cant wait to get my hands on some of these ships  :D

Armithaig

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Amaranth

Hmm, version checker's receiving a 403 forbidden on accessing the gitlab url.
Might be gitlab decided to block the default java user agent, but'd have to do some testing to be sure.
Will host it elsewhere if's still an issue by next update. Thanks fandango, kiwibear!

Deageon

• Commander
    • View Profile

the Tira has to be one of the most fun frigates/corvettes I've piloted myself, honestly. I was like "Okay, a medium mount corvette, cool I guess?" then I saw the three wingmen fly in and that *** was 100/100

BigBeans

• Captain
    • View Profile

This is a very well done mod and I love especially the Vaygr destroyer sprite. Can't wait too see what you cook up next update.

Armithaig

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Amaranth

the Tira has to be one of the most fun frigates/corvettes I've piloted myself, honestly...
Ahah, yeah they might need knockin' down a peg actually. 4 medium mounts for 4 FP's a tad over the scale, 200 speed with full weapon range's also a mite whoa.
Likely a FP increase and range debuff in their future, wish'd gotten this working properly since it'd naturally increase/decrease FP with the amount of wingmen alive, but hit a wall there'd need Alex to knock down.

This is a very well done mod and I love especially the Vaygr destroyer sprite. Can't wait too see what you cook up next update.
Thanks! Kinda started with all my favourites here but hell there ain't one bad ship design in HW2 so'm still burning for more.

Kwbr

• Commander
    • View Profile

The modules on the carrier don't do anything currently, right? Only asking cause there doesn't seem to be any way to interact with them.

Armithaig

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Amaranth

Nah, gonna be baked down into sprite variations like the Banika.
Were some flighty dreams to bandy ship systems based on what modules're installed but's not a possibility through the API, nor much opportunity for it through the interface.

Deageon

• Commander
    • View Profile

so question, does the Tajmahir's modules actually do anything? Because they seem to be able to be changed through auto-fit (corvette fAcility, adv sensor array) but i can't seem to change them manually.

Deageon

• Commander
    • View Profile

Oh, I literally only just now noticed the post before mine LMAO sorry.

Lilly112

• Ensign
    • View Profile

I got a problem. It says "Failed to load master version from Gitlab.com"

PixelBandit

• Ensign
    • View Profile

Having recently played Homeworld 2 again, i'm quite impressed at how well you captured the feel of the various ships. I also had my doubts about the Corvette when looking at the stats but suffice to say when the wingmen flew in that all changed, quite fun to fly around in.

Anyways, i wanted to make a balance suggestion. I've noticed that the Homeworld series seems to use Cold War/Modern classifications for the various ship types while Starsector uses WW2 era classifications.

Simply put, during the Cold war, Modern missile systems and Aircraft carriers made large ships like Battleships obsolete and they were replaced by Destroyers and Cruisers with Guided missiles. Destroyers and Cruisers became capital ships and their size and capability increased, some Destroyers being as big as some Heavy Cruisers.

As for why this matters, we'll look at the Vaygr Destroyer. In Homeworld, Destroyers are classified as Capital ships and they are the main stay of a fleet along with Frigates much like in modern navies. They are also some of the biggest ships you can build after the Carrier, Shipyard, and Battlecruiser. In your mod however, they are Destroyers like their name suggests and have been balanced as such. While HM's Destroyers can tank quite a lot of damage and take on multiple frigates, in SS due to their DD balancing they are outgunned due to it's shorter range, it's armor somewhat weak, and slow for a destroyer.

Thus, I would like to suggest you bump up the various Homeworld ships up a "Class" or two. Corvettes to Frigates, Frigates to Destroyers, Destroyers to Cruisers, etc. Although i think Carriers are fine as Cruisers.

Although doing this would be a lot of work no doubt, i think doing it early would make balancing them easier later down the line. Their performance could be much closer the balance of Vanilla ships and other mods. If not i assume some of the smaller ships would be too powerful while the larger ships too weak comparatively.

One last thing, you've noted that you wanted to nerf the Corvettes a little, maybe reducing the wing size to 3 and lowering the damage of the Pulsar cannon to make it weaker against armor?.

Apologies for the long post, especially if i unintentionally sounded condescending. I quite like your mod and would like to see it reach the point where i can fly the Hiigaran Battlecruiser.

Cheers mate.

PixelBandit

• Ensign
    • View Profile

"Failed to load master version from Gitlab.com"

A little late but from other posts in the thread it appears it's an error for a separate mod that checks if your mods are up to date or not. You can safely ignore them. Although someone else might need to confirm that as i'm not too sure.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5