Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Any interest in a random faction battle mission?  (Read 876 times)

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
Any interest in a random faction battle mission?
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:44:12 AM »

I wanted to gauge interest in this since I am already making one for Archean Order, but has anyone ever created a random faction battle mission sort of like random battle but with randomly assigned faction fleets?

I am about... er, half way done? - with mine and if there is interest I can post the code here when I'm finished. I've made it fairly easy to edit for anyone else to use. You would just have to replace the variants since many of the current ones included are exclusive to my mod.

How it works:

1) Chooses a random faction for the player and the enemy. (lists of available factions for each are separate so you can lock some factions to one side or the other)

2) For for each side, chooses a capital-class flagship for the fleet from a list of the chosen faction's possible flagships. (those lists are also separate for the player and enemy)

3) From the remaining fleet points after the flagship is chosen populate the rest of the fleet with that faction's ships. (I am thinking of also investing in a sorting algorithm to make cruisers at the top of the fleet, destroyers just after, etc. Just makes it look prettier lol)

wmss

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Any interest in a random faction battle mission?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 08:11:57 PM »

Dynasector had this, along with adjustable fleet size and the ability for player to pick factions and map type. It was extremely fun to play around with, and a recreation of that that stands alone from Dynasector would be great. Dynasector also included a mission with literally every ship in the game, which was great for testing and trying out new ships without having to delve into the extremely bloated variant editor.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 11:15:53 PM »

Several different mods have had their own take on this concept and some quite advanced... For literally years now. Also why make it so a capital is always the flagship?

Morrokain

• Admiral
  • Megalith Dreadnought - Archean Order
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 11:53:07 PM »

Several different mods have had their own take on this concept and some quite advanced... For literally years now. Also why make it so a capital is always the flagship?

Oh I see, thanks! It has been a while since I have had the chance to play other mods and I couldn't remember if I had ever seen that as a mission. Apparently I am quite behind the times. :P Thanks for clarifying that I should not continue where others have otherwise done better work. I will leave it for Archean Order only.

And as for a capital flagship, because that is fun? No other real reason. :)