Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Pirates are exhausting!  (Read 1284 times)

Mitroll

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Pirates are exhausting!
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:55:14 PM »

I only have one planet, but every time I go out and blow up the pirate space station, I can hardly fly two systems away before they've built a whole new one and I need to turn around and blow it up again.

I thought it was going to be fun fighting the pirates at first, they were fun to kill, they gave good loot, but now I have like 20 of every weapon and thousands of scrap metal on my planet, and I just want to be able to do things other than fight pirates again.

How can they even build a giant orbital station every single month? They're certainly not getting any profit off of building it, because I just blow it up instantly.

I feel bad that my first post in this forums is this, I really love this game, and the combat AI is really beautiful, but please, make it take like 4-12 months for pirates to build a new station dedicated to harassing me, or better yet, maybe some kind of "fear" system, where factions, including pirates, will stop harrassing you if you attain a large number of victories against them, either moving on to easier prey or taking time to build up their forces.

Ragebrew

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Re: Pirates are exhausting!
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 11:42:48 PM »

A fear system would be great. I'd like the pirates to go "Those guys? The ones who have blown up 10 stations with their capital fleet? Lets NOT bother them."

Zalpha

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2019, 12:22:58 AM »

A heat meter for a sector area sounds like a cool idea to me. Based on the actions of a sector it determines how hot an area is and over time it will cool down.

The heat at a certain level prevents things like building as the place is just too hectic and disruptive for someone to build something grand like a space station. Once the action in the area has died down and things are more peaceful can things like a space station be built.

The heat meter could be used for other things to pull in things like bounty hunters, scavengers and patrols. Although that may just end up pulling in more heat and making an area a hot zone.

It sounds like a fun mechanic to me.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 04:49:16 AM »

I feel the OP's pain.  The babysitting is excessive.  Not much time to do anything fun other than defend a colony - yours or a core world - from pirates or backstabbing major factions.

Ragebrew

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 07:16:20 AM »

Fleet HQ says it projects power over several sectors. Why aren't my defense forces chasing down the pirates? The average "heavy patrol" has three capital ships in it!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 07:41:48 AM »

I only have one planet, but every time I go out and blow up the pirate space station, I can hardly fly two systems away before they've built a whole new one and I need to turn around and blow it up again.

I thought it was going to be fun fighting the pirates at first, they were fun to kill, they gave good loot, but now I have like 20 of every weapon and thousands of scrap metal on my planet, and I just want to be able to do things other than fight pirates again.

How can they even build a giant orbital station every single month? They're certainly not getting any profit off of building it, because I just blow it up instantly.

I feel bad that my first post in this forums is this, I really love this game, and the combat AI is really beautiful, but please, make it take like 4-12 months for pirates to build a new station dedicated to harassing me, or better yet, maybe some kind of "fear" system, where factions, including pirates, will stop harrassing you if you attain a large number of victories against them, either moving on to easier prey or taking time to build up their forces.

Welcome to the forum, and no worries :) I'm in total agreement here, they rebuild way too fast right now. Part of the problem is the current "endgame" isn't really the real endgame, it's just sort of where the game caps out at the moment, and with it not being the real endgame, it hasn't exactly been fine-tuned.

Basically, I'll at least one the pirate base/raid frequency down for the next release, and ultimately they'll probably be a much smaller part of what makes up the endgame. Just, ah, need more of the other parts to take their place.

BTracer

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 07:42:30 AM »

I'd have to agree. Every time I leave my system to do anything, I feel like I always get dragged back to deal with something, be it pirates or expeditions, or pathers, it just feels like a constant stream of issues demanding my attention to the determent of all other aspects of the game.

With that being said, I've found that with a fully built out colony (tier 3 fortress/ground/military/heavy industry) you can pretty much ignore everything, stability should remain at ten even with pirate raids/pathers - might lose a bit of profit, but by then it shouldn't matter. However, that makes your choices for industry pretty limited - full defense or babysit constantly.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 10:25:46 AM »

It would be fine if they actually take time organizing raids9especially when beaten back) and rebuild stations.
Like if their raid got wiped they go silent and their bases are not spawned but rebuild by expeditions either from pirate planets or hidden space stations.

Mitroll

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 11:52:39 AM »

Thanks for responding, glad to hear that it's on your sensors. :)

Windowlicker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 09:38:46 AM »

I think this would be easily fixed if the pirate base-building rate was tied to the economy of the pirate colonies. No income = no bases.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 09:50:51 AM »

I think this would be easily fixed if the pirate base-building rate was tied to the economy of the pirate colonies. No income = no bases.
It should be tied to black market activity on non-Pirate planets and stations. Piracy won't be profitable if you don't resell what you've taken.
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex