Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Would there be interest in mid-game mod?  (Read 1866 times)

scarface

• Commander
    • View Profile
Would there be interest in mid-game mod?
« on: August 26, 2019, 09:23:46 AM »

I was rolling around few ideas about how to lengthen the midgame, any player can smuggle their way into few million credits and buy good fleet and establish  6+ colony in a day or two of playing and maybe even get paragon/astral.

I have a few ideas, mainly concerned about "fattening" midgame content, since i enjoy that the most. I mod nearly all games i play, inevitably, after doing some tinkering on starsector, making ships and so on, i figured i could bring some of my tinkering to the public. But would there be a market for such mod? most mods add big ships, new factions or weapons and whatnot. havent seen too many big balancing mods out there. I could push main balancing mod in about 2 weeks from now.

So, thats the question-would there be interest from the community? And if so, what would you like to see changed/introduced?

ps-any and all ideas you leave in the comments will be credited, if i add them.

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
Re: Would there be interest in mid-game mod?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2019, 10:29:14 AM »

I've been working on something that does stuff like this (and a bunch more) for over a year now. 

In terms of what you're talking about, I'm primarily interested in slowing player power-creep by limiting access to Capitals; they're set so that getting access to Capitals without D-Mods or repairing them back to a pristine state is a late-game process, and players capture a lot fewer high-end ships than in Vanilla.

It works pretty well as a limiter on player power up to the point where they're making millions / month on multiple Colonies. 

Past that, I'm inclined to work on building out some code that creates "ace" enemies, with special buffs, to keep the high-end fights under control when player-fleets are sufficiently optimized that it's hard to keep them from being deadly. 

However, as things stand right now, anybody playing my mod in Iron Mode and not save-scumming the moment they're losing a battle will generally find they'll take some losses even on the high end, which is (imo) how things should work.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2019, 10:59:00 AM »

Sounds interesting.
Do you plan to share?

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 12:49:11 PM »

Soon.  Next few days, I think; most of the components are about as polished as they're going to get, without playtesting by others.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Salv

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2019, 12:37:45 AM »

I've also been working on rebalancing the game, although it's only finished in terms of .jsons and .cvs. I've started modyfing classes only recently. When i first started the game and got enough $$ for a battleship after one salvage/survey expedition with a junky ship, I knew something had to be done :P.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2019, 08:46:15 AM by Salv »

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2019, 02:11:12 AM »

I've got a pretty long list of features I want to eventually add to ruthless sector, most of which have the biggest impact on mid-game:
Chance of ambushes for delivery missions
Opportunistic independent/pirate fleets that will follow you if they think you're a juicy target and attack once no one is around
Expeditions sometimes blockade the target colony instead of attacking
Increase rarity of rare loot
Outcast starting scenario (all major factions start hostile)
Powerful assassin fleets that pursue you when you leave the core worlds
Make items in abandoned storage have a chance to get stolen after 100-150 days pass after game start. And then start a quest to get them back.
Add more enemies to guardian fight based on domain-drone fleet size scaling factor

scarface

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 06:49:14 AM »

Glad to see people interested in this, and also working on the same issue. couple of good ideas in here too.

dgs6686

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 05:36:47 PM »

I would like something like this. I think a big part of the problem though is not only the ships and money available but the huge power creep that comes with levels and skills. I'm trying to work on a mod now that tones down the skills a great deal and removes some of the obviously overpowered stuff such as Electronic Warfare.

helmacon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2019, 08:27:07 PM »

Iv'e been thinking about this. Ideally, you want some way to force the player into conflict, but have that conflict provide opportunity at the same time. As it stands, the way the core game does this is mainly with commissions. Taking a commission from a faction effects your relations with all other factions, thus forcing the player into conflict with their factions enemies. This falls short though, because instead of providing opportunities it mostly just provides capital, and that quickly spirals to ungodly amounts of money.

I think a good way to balance the mid-game would be to change the way commissions work. Instead of just providing fat stacks every month for taking relations hits with the other factions, it should provide unique missions that offer higher rewards than other missions. This makes a little more sense too. If you work for someone, they are going to want you to do things for them. These missions could be things like "acquire specific rare salvage" to "eliminate specific target fleet in other faction" (the same way bounties spawn). You could have missions to smuggle types of illegal cargo out of an enemy port, missions to protect a trade convoy, basically anything you can think up.

Additionally, change the spawn frequencies for some types of rare salvage and provide alternative ways to acquire them to prevent the explosive power spikes the game gives you. I've pulled half a dozen synch cores in my last game over a few expeditions, and thats an insane amount of money for the size of my fleet at the time. Reduce that, and balance it by putting them in restricted military markets for sale (so you can still acquire them for your colonies when you need them) that requires max rep and a lot of capital.

Add more types of missions in general! Right now, we have, examine ship/probe, survey planet, and bounties (plus deliveries from the bars). Basically 4 types of missions. Thats almost nothing! The sky is the limit! add whatever you can think up.

(Also, let me hand in planet surveys the way you turn in AI cores. I just think that would be neat.)

dgs6686

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2019, 10:44:06 PM »

To that point with commissions... why do we get paid just to say 'sure i'll take your faction hits!'. You never really have to help them, they don't care they just give you money while you are doing your own thing. I the monthly stipend should be removed all together in favor of bounties for destroying enemies. Also 'Enemies' should be limited to the main factions, not pirates / luddic path.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 11:48:59 PM »

To that point with commissions... why do we get paid just to say 'sure i'll take your faction hits!'. You never really have to help them, they don't care they just give you money while you are doing your own thing. I the monthly stipend should be removed all together in favor of bounties for destroying enemies. Also 'Enemies' should be limited to the main factions, not pirates / luddic path.
Preach!  :D

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 12:45:20 AM »

Anything that gives me more things to do and forces me into fights is welcome.

scarface

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2019, 08:53:38 AM »

havent crossed my mind. included 100% my dude.