Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ship-Creator/Editor  (Read 10198 times)

Himntor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Ship-Creator/Editor
« on: March 12, 2012, 05:19:22 PM »

It would be cool for there to be a Ship Creator/Editor to build and customize your own made ships. Put hardpoints/Turrets of all sizes on them where you want, but somehow have a limiting factor to the builder so you can't make uber overpowered ships and destroy everything. Make it somehow balance out.

Just a thought, mostly because I'd love to make my own custom flagship to forever pillage and plunder with!

;D

UrbanGiraffe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: Ship-Creator/Editor
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 05:21:32 PM »

A player created ship editor:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=435.0

...and a neato tutorial on how to use it.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1596.0

Have fun  :)

Himntor

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 09:43:43 AM »

A player created ship editor:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=435.0

...and a neato tutorial on how to use it.

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=1596.0

Have fun  :)
Yes I saw that but it's just a ship editor for current ships. I want to be able to BUILD my own ships, it's own shape, look, color and armaments and the such. Not just edit the current ships, build new ones. Something along the lines of playing SPOREā„¢ and creating your own buildings/creatures/vehicles only, with Starfarer and 2D.

imperialus

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »

couldn't happen.

Every ship in the game is a hand painted sprite.  It's basically impossible to build ships out of modular parts using a 2D engine.

jocan2003

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 10:09:16 AM »

You could try the shipbuilder from battleship forever i think it is? Confederancy of the star use that to make the ship, look it up!

UrbanGiraffe

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 11:16:43 AM »

Programs like Gimp (which is free) can be used to splice current sprites into modular bits, which is what most people who design new ships (who want to mimic the art style) do. The ship editor takes care of the difficult (from a coding perspective) part of assigning the positions of turrets, engines, hitboxes, the shield radius, center of mass, etc, and creating the .ship file needed. Its main purpose is definitely not editing current ships, but for making the creation of new ships more accessible.

Something like a modular editor in game to customize ships is unlikely to happen, from what I've heard. Modding fills that need already, for the most part, and creating and integrating something like that into the game would be an unnecessary challenge.

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 11:20:50 AM »

You could try the shipbuilder from battleship forever i think it is? Confederancy of the star use that to make the ship, look it up!

that's a great editor :), but i have to ask, how do you recolor the ships after being done with that?

CrashToDesktop

• Admiral
  • Quartermaster
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2012, 04:17:28 PM »

The tutorial and the creator are both excellent, but I can't seem to get my sprite in correctly.  I've followed the instructions for it, and everythng worked out correctly...except the goddamn sprite. XD
I put in the box, "graphics/ships/longsword.png" (longsword.png is the name of my file).  Is there anything different from modding fighters to modding ships?
Quote from: Trylobot
I am officially an epoch.
Quote from: Thaago
Note: please sacrifice your goats responsibly, look up the proper pronunciation of Alex's name. We wouldn't want some other project receiving mystic power.