Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Commissions.  (Read 20016 times)

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
Commissions.
« on: August 25, 2019, 03:37:08 PM »

I believe that commissions should be slightly reworked so that the faction who is actually commissioning you would require certain quota's of ships to kill (pirates/Luddic Path and factions they are at war with) in order to keep the commission. Otherwise commissions are basically free monthly income in addition to access to the military markets of the faction with minor inconveniences (admittedly I like to explore the fringes so I rarely have issues with hostilities). Also whenever hostilities occur between factions, I have never seen any invasion fleets attack the other faction and I would really like that to change so that their are more frequent large scale battles.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Commissions.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 05:10:17 PM »

I think commissions should be replaced by a "privateer" license. It can be freely deactivated after a war or presigned before a war. Neither side should have particularly angry feelings after the war. Pirates should always have a bounty paid if killed in or around their systems depending on the value of the ships destroyed.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 05:36:33 PM »

I know about the pirate bounty but atm commissions are basically free money with very little requirements
edit: nvm misread
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 09:51:43 PM by Tackywheat1 »

Nikron

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2019, 09:08:46 PM »

I think commissions should be replaced by a "privateer" license. It can be freely deactivated after a war or presigned before a war. Neither side should have particularly angry feelings after the war. Pirates should always have a bounty paid if killed in or around their systems depending on the value of the ships destroyed.
Yup. And comm relay will inform you everytime a faction open for privateer application

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 07:30:18 PM »

I know about the pirate bounty but atm commissions are basically free money with very little requirements
edit: nvm misread

It constantly causes you to be at war with random major factions and destroys your ability to build rep with any faction but the one you signed the commission with. This screws up tons of things and makes travel dangerous as random fleets might gank you because they just started a war. Your commission group might declare war with a group you are currently in the system with.

I'd say those are rather large drawbacks, rep especially as building it is slow.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 08:16:55 PM »

It's probably because I'm commissioned to the hegemony and mostly explore the right side of the map so I don't feel the effects of war much

AgentFransis

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 06:35:53 AM »

I agree there should probably be more strings attached to having a commission to make it more interesting. It could function more like vassalage in Mount and Blade where the faction may occasionally call on you to assist in an attack or defence of a system, with decent relations penalties if you ignore them. Maybe other more special missions could be given like "go waylay Hegamony merchants around Corvus for a while" or "go distract Hegamony forces in system X for a while". The monthly payments could be lowered while bounties can be increased to make you actually work for your pay.

That said I usually try to honour my commission by helping with pirates and such or aiding in wars when possible. Come late game when I set up shop with my own faction I convert the commission to an alliance and make it a point to go conquer some planets for them as thanks.

Apox

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 09:05:32 AM »

Sorry to jump in like that....

what is a commsission and how do I get that?

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 09:16:52 AM »

Commissions are a way to get money, better ships, weapons and hullmods for killing pirates, you get one going to a planet from some of the factions of the sector

Wapno

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 10:03:53 AM »

Commissions are a way to get money, better ships, weapons and hullmods for killing pirates, you get one going to a planet from some of the factions of the sector

Actually, that's a poor description. Commission is basically a "loyalty contract" with a faction. Entering a commission with a faction will net you a monthly salary paid from that faction. They will also pay you a bonus for fighting any faction currently hostile to that faction - it works like a permanent bounty. If any faction becomes hostile to your commissioning faction, the former will become instantly hostile to you as well, though once the war ends, your relations with the former enemy will also restore to non-hostile.

Commission also gives you access to more valuable items on that faction's military market (military market becomes available as soon as you reach "favorable" standing with the faction, but only common items will be available. Any items of decent rarity will require a commission and certain standing level beyond "favorable").

@in response to original post:

I disagree. Commissions are already a tough sell for one reason - you are essentially locking yourself into loyalty with one specific faction.

Yes, it does give you free income, but it locks you out of missions from factions that your commissioning faction is hostile towards. Yes, you do have access to military market, but only for that one faction, which may be problematic if you want to mix different ship techs in your fleet (I mean, you can still use black markets of other factions, but you will have to sneak around if it's at war with your host faction).

Also, if I remember correctly, wars still have a negative lasting impact on your relations with other factions, even when the war ends.

I do support the idea of expanding the whole commissions mechanic, but I oppose the idea of adding any more direct downsides to it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2019, 01:06:26 PM »

Commission is great if you spend most of your time in the fringe, where major factions have almost no prescene.

If you avoid fighting faction enemies (easy if you are not in core space), reputation will be restored to original level if it was higher.  If you get into fights, your original takes -5 penalty per fight.

The biggest problem with commission is the accessibility hit after you build some colonies.

If I want to play with commission, I would take it before building colonies for the free income.  That said, if I want to exterminate major factions, I could take a commission with one faction I choose to spare.

Tackywheat1

• Commander
  • Paragon is Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2019, 03:34:40 PM »

I agree there should probably be more strings attached to having a commission to make it more interesting. It could function more like vassalage in Mount and Blade where the faction may occasionally call on you to assist in an attack or defence of a system, with decent relations penalties if you ignore them. Maybe other more special missions could be given like "go waylay Hegamony merchants around Corvus for a while" or "go distract Hegamony forces in system X for a while". The monthly payments could be lowered while bounties can be increased to make you actually work for your pay.

That said I usually try to honour my commission by helping with pirates and such or aiding in wars when possible. Come late game when I set up shop with my own faction I convert the commission to an alliance and make it a point to go conquer some planets for them as thanks.

Lately I've been hunting down pirate death fleets with my Paragon + assorted cruisers and carriers

Locklave

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 07:42:59 PM »

It's probably because I'm commissioned to the hegemony and mostly explore the right side of the map so I don't feel the effects of war much

Commissions are extremely powerful if you just explore or hunter bounties. Hegemony is the best choice as far as I'm concerned for doing either.

Also forgot to mention, commissions 100% locks you out of being friendly with the Pirates/LP. Commissions are impossible for a playstyle that involves them. Even if you improve the rep to -49 it will drop back to -50 right away. I tested it to be sure.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 08:25:29 PM »

Hegemony has poor ship choices, and their colonies are all on one side, so IMO Persean League is best commission, for having a much broader ship choice, as well as more spread out colonies for you to resupply.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2019, 02:08:08 PM »

Hegemony and Persean League are the most fleshed out factions. Hegemony has more importantly more military markets. Persean league military markets seem to be, most bizarely filled with pure Conquests and Herons and Drovers. A few times I've seen nothing but all Conquests.  Sindrian seems to be the same as Persean League, but at least their system is cool. Tri-tachyon offers Paragons, and all sorts of carriers and most importantly phase ships. I just feel sorry for Luddic Church. They are in the corner of nowhere with their d-mod ships.
Pages: [1] 2