Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pirate bases should be easier to find.  (Read 4964 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Pirate bases should be easier to find.
« on: August 25, 2019, 08:51:22 AM »

Recently, I had a pointer for a -3/-50% pirate base in Penelope's Star.  After entering the system, it took about thirty real-time minutes and one month in-game time to find it!  Very frustrating!

First, I check all of the planets, but no base.  Then I checked the star; no base.  Then I checked the asteroid clumps; no base.  I captured one of the relays and waited a long time for a pirate fleet to appear.  I went toward where it came from.  Still no base!  The only other place to check was the huge, entire asteroid belt at the edge of the system.  Explored about a third of the belt, but no base.  During all of that searching, I used Sensor Burst several times, all to no avail.

At this point, I spend one of my unused skill points in Sensors for Neutrino Detector, and loot the ruins at one of the planets for Volatiles.  After trying to make sense with the blue aura, I finally found the base after traveling through another third of the asteroid belt, and it was in the fringe asteroid belt.  The belt in Penelope's Star is huge!

Finding a base in Penelope's Star is like finding a needle in a haystack if the base is not near any of the planets, and searching all of the planets alone is already very tedious.

Other similar systems beyond core can have similarly frustrating results.

If there was any other way to destroy enemy bases aside from going there personally and killing them, I would have do so and spared myself much grief and babysitting.

Bar events that reveal the system the base is in should reveal where the base is in the system too.  Spending thirty minutes finding a needle (base) in a haystack is frustrating and unacceptable.

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate bases should be easier to find.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2019, 09:21:20 AM »

Heh you should try having to do this in a neutron star system..... pure pain.  :'(

And it wasn't even really by anything for me either, just sitting out there in the middle of nowhere.

It does feel cheap to just talk to the local drunk and find the base just like that, but the effects of piracy are so blunt and aggressive that there is no reason to ever let them live. Sure hit a few caravans and send some little raiders around from time to time, but cutting into my accessibility? Nah mate, that's a declaration of war.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2019, 09:32:34 AM »

Neutron stars are annoying without Transverse Jump.  With Transverse Jump, frustration varies by system size.  In my current game, there is a small neutron star system with only one planet where -1/-10% bases spawn from time to time, next to the two systems where my primary colonies are.  Without Transverse Jump, I need to E-Burn through the neutron star twice - very annoying.  With Transverse Jump, jump into the planet, kill the pirate base hiding behind the planet, then jump out.  At least in neutron stars, guards get blown away.  Still more annoying to deal with if player does not have Transverse Jump.

BringerofBabies

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2019, 12:29:39 PM »

There's a reason why each time I scout a Neutron system, I create a colony and hand it off to some other faction (Nexerelin) - any colony keeps pirate bases from spawning.
Perhaps actions within the system should give you a (significant) chance of revealing the exact location of the base, with actions being capturing relays and defeating pirate fleets.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2019, 12:38:13 PM »

That is not a viable option in a no-mod game.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2019, 02:58:46 PM »

Massive asteroid belts that go round from edge to edge of the map are boring and take up too much time to go around.

c plus one

• Commander
  • 'Make Jumpgates Great Again!'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2019, 03:26:55 AM »

Agreed. This whole dynamic seems intended as a blend of exploration meets pest control, but at present its "needle in a haystack" aspect is just excessively burdensome grinding.
Quote from: Lopunny Zen
you are playing them wrong then..

Don't tell me I'm playing anything wrong in a singleplayer sandbox game. Just don't.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2019, 03:18:54 PM »

Normally it isn't a problem, but system wide asteroid fields is a pain. It would guess it would take 2 minutes to go round the entire circumference, and then you got to work your way in. Maybe you and sensor burst as you go along, but then that burn 20 has to restart and it seems such a chore. So about 6 minutes to explore a system wide asteroif field. Is there a design goal for a range of time for exploring a system? Afterall, 6 mins maximum doesn't sound too bad, when most ststems will take only 1-2 minutes. It's just exceedingly boring even especially if there isn't much to be found.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2019, 03:34:10 PM »

Two minutes to check the asteroid field, or anything thing else to search, for a pirate base is too long.  Should not take more than a minute to find the base in the system, given that 1) player already spent much time traveling through hyperspace for the base and 2) pirates respawn almost immediately after a base is killed, and player will need to do it again... and again.

It would not be as much of a problem if there was another way to destroy pirate bases without the player doing it himself, like posting a 200k bounty for an NPC fleet to take care of the problem.

Goumindong

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2019, 09:03:17 PM »

A quick fix might be to open the settings.json and modify the maxium sensor detection range. Bases have huge sensor radius and by formula may be detectable beyond the standard max detection range of 6000.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2019, 03:09:58 PM »

Does the Neutrino Detector not pick up stations or is everyone too used to ignoring it? ;D
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2019, 03:55:33 PM »

Does the Neutrino Detector not pick up stations or is everyone too used to ignoring it? ;D

It picks everyting in the sistem, but It a false positive problem, so it's the latter here

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2019, 04:09:42 PM »

Problems with Neutrino Detector:
* Requires a skill point to access.  (I already have too few points without getting any Sensors.)
* Requires lugging Volatiles.  (I was lucky I had ruins to loot for volatiles.)
* Blue aura is a royal pain to decipher and make sense out of, with or without false positives.  The false positives need to go!

After I found the base, I reloaded the game to get my skill point back and go to where the base was.

OOZ662

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2019, 04:36:43 PM »

A lot of things require a skill point to access. Plus, it's not a requirement, as you can still manually find the station as before, it's just not optimally efficient; you spend a skillpoint to make it moreso. And if you're going out to hunt a station, it's not so hard to stuff a few volatiles in cargo along with the supplies and fuel for the journey.
It is law that any specific ship you want will not be available. If it is available, it will be gone by the time you're capable of buying it.

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2019, 05:36:48 PM »

I like the neutrino detector, It's really not that hard to use once you understand how to identify false positive. I often times turn it on while I fly between planets in an unexplored system and on many occasions, it has found me stations in weird places I otherwise wouldn't have looked. I wish it did not cost a skill point though. Hopefully it can be unlocked in a quest or something in the future.
Pages: [1] 2