Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Pirate bases should be easier to find.  (Read 5005 times)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Pirate bases should be easier to find.
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2019, 05:34:33 AM »

A lot of things require a skill point to access. Plus, it's not a requirement, as you can still manually find the station as before, it's just not optimally efficient; you spend a skillpoint to make it moreso. And if you're going out to hunt a station, it's not so hard to stuff a few volatiles in cargo along with the supplies and fuel for the journey.
Except volatiles is not something stocked by a waystation.  Crew, fuel, supplies are everywhere.  Metal and machines, I loot from whatever I kill.  Volatiles, I need to go somewhere where they are produced to buy them, and they are expensive.  (I may not have many colonies with Mining and Volatiles.)

Did you not read the OP?  I spent thirty real-life minutes in Penelope's Star searching for the pirate base.  I grabbed Neutrino Detector as an absolute last resort.  I did not want to use it, but I get tired of spending more time searching for a pirate base I could not find.  (It was in the huge asteroid belt at the fringe.)  I did all of the tricks that normally reveal pirate bases, but they did not work this time.  It is not like I could give up and ignore the pirate base (even though I wanted to).  It needed to be dealt with.

I really did not want to spend a skill point on Neutrino Detector, something I only used as an absolute last resort at finding pirate bases in gigantic systems when they are not next to planets.  I already do not have enough points to get all of the combat skills I want or high Officer Management.  (I already have points in colony skills, which was a mistake, but I am not restarting the game.)

I like the neutrino detector, It's really not that hard to use once you understand how to identify false positive. I often times turn it on while I fly between planets in an unexplored system and on many occasions, it has found me stations in weird places I otherwise wouldn't have looked. I wish it did not cost a skill point though. Hopefully it can be unlocked in a quest or something in the future.
It takes time to reveal the false positive, on an aura that is already a pain to read.  Meanwhile, I am burning up volatiles as I move around and try to make sense out of it and eliminating false positives.

The skill point AND volatiles requirement makes Neutrino Detector something I want to avoid.  However, I grudgingly take it because it has been the only way to find pirate bases that are too hard to find with conventional means.  I am already short on skill points getting other things I want more.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 06:03:57 AM by Megas »

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2019, 01:38:22 PM »

It takes maaximum 20 seconds to work out false positives most of the time. False positives always point to the same direction. It's not helpful if the system has lots of points of potential interest, or there are two bodies fairly close to each other. Then it is possible that a lot of time is needed to work out false positives. Finding and buying volatiles shouldn't be a problem if you need to go find a pirate base targeting your system. You only need max 50 volatiles generally, and you will certainly be able to afford it.

Agile

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 08:48:30 PM »

The real annoyance is that pirate bases respawn almost immediately due to how they are hard coded, so you have to do this hide and seek routine over and over and over again.

Mods fix this, but in a vanilla game, it makes colonies a absolute chore.

helmacon

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 10:32:22 PM »

I think if you fight an kill a pirate fleet in a system, you should be able to get the exact location of any bases in the system. (Either from interrogating survivors or just from the flight logs in the destroyed ships black box, depending on how you want to justify it in terms of RP.)

I think this would be a good compromise. It gives you another option, but it's not just giving you something either. Plus it feels like something that could realistically happen.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2019, 05:53:43 AM »

It makes defending core worlds an absolute chore too, whether player has colonies or not, unless he does not mind letting them decivilize sooner or later.

I thought killing all of core worlds would stop that.  Instead, I got pirate activity non-stop (from -3/-50% bases) instead.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »

I've never encountered this decivilised core worlds business before. How many years do you have to be in game before it happens?

33k7

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2019, 01:21:57 PM »

I thought killing all of core worlds would stop that.  Instead, I got pirate activity non-stop (from -3/-50% bases) instead.

I found that out too I gave up on my second playthrough after I realized it would be never-ending even after colonizing everything in the core worlds that wasn't a part of the faction. it was just a never-ending slugfest.

I honestly thought it was Poetic Justice considering I named my character  Robert E. House  As I deleted my save I played the song something's gotta give by frank sinatra

When an irresistible force such as you (Human Greed)
Meets an old immovable object like me (Money Making Machine)
You can bet just as sure as you live
Something's gotta give
Something's gotta give
Something's gotta give

(RobCo Industries was my  first colonial empires name.)
Pages: 1 [2]