Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Retro Engineering  (Read 849 times)

Omnikuken

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Retro Engineering
« on: August 29, 2019, 03:09:22 PM »

As title implies : some kind of way to acquire new stuff (ships/mods/weapons/etc) without relying purely on blueprints. For exemple : getting a new ship/weapon through salvage or buying and some kinda % (slow) progress towards being able to make them in colonies ..... A middle ground between find once and don't lose it OR get lucky and blueprint, let us crawl towards the dream of being able to make everything in game (especially with lots of mods  ;))

Probably already in the suggestions somewhere and/or would break the game epicly, still worth a try

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Retro Engineering
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2019, 03:26:20 AM »

There is already a way to get all the blueprints: raiding. Unless endgame turns out to have bigger problems the player has to solve personally, I'd rather have get blueprints through combat, rather than waiting.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2019, 07:19:54 AM »

Combat drops rep even more.  Best to raid without a fight if you want to preserve rep.  For some worlds, it is too easy (especially New Maxios).  Others have constant patrols if there are no pirates, and I bring a pure phase fleet to sneak in.  If I need to raid a world multiple times to get all of the blueprints, excessive combat is the last thing I want.

If player needs to raid many times, then he will need to wait after few raids anyway to let stability recover, if he does not want to decivilize the planet.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2019, 01:08:09 PM »

It kind of already exists in the form of tech mining colonies.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2019, 02:04:06 PM »

Tech mining is lame in this release.  Takes too long to build and eats an industry slot.  Also, upkeep for mostly vendor trash.  With raiding as it is, the only reason to tech mine is to find AI cores (if player cannot farm Ordos yet), synchrotrons, or nanoforges.  By the time I drain my first ruins, I am already powerful enough to get the goodies elsewhere.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2019, 02:29:04 PM »

What have you written has got to do with anything the Omnikuken has written?

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2019, 03:26:32 PM »

If what you say that tech mining does what the OP wants (I think tech mining is more like spamming salvage on the planet once per month instead of in a debris field), yet tech mining is not worthwhile because of expense and time waiting to reap the goodies, then what good is it?  Slot machine for the unlikely chance of getting a pristine nanoforge, alpha core, or other similarly great item (that cannot be easily farmed or raided for)?