Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42

Author Topic: [0.8.1a] The Nomads, v1.4.11-rc2  (Read 368717 times)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
Re: The Nomads (0.8.1) [NOT 0.6a COMPATIBLE]
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2013, 10:52:05 AM »

the ring shaped part of the ships HAS to be animated, i hope you know that trylobot ;)

Yes :D

Thule

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 29, 2013, 11:21:47 AM »

ah I see, hope to see it done soon then

gnihihihihi

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 29, 2013, 11:26:37 AM »

Small feedback post about the sprite: I think that the red area has a little too much brightness compared to the rest of the ship and the fuel tanks stands out a little bit too much for this reason.

EDIT: and maybe the extended part on the right of the red area have some bright outline that feels different from the parts near the engines.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 11:28:55 AM by Uomoz »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #213 on: September 29, 2013, 12:06:31 PM »

Thanks for the feedback, Uomoz. The sprite looks a little hodgepodge in places, but I have reasons for all of those things (as they stuck out to me as well).

For the red area you circled (what I call the Keel of the ship) the tip of the uppermost segment is aligned with the true center of the ship. It was meant to provide a focal point for the whole sprite, and it's a very important area lore-wise as well. The increased brightness there is intentional, though perhaps seemingly inconsistent.

The fuel tanks are closely related to the coolant feeder tanks found on the Gila Monster, but upon retrospection, I think I'm going to change them. They really ought to be red, like the tanks on the Prometheus and Phaeton tankers in the vanilla game. I'll change those. Being a darkish sort of red will also take the focus away from that area as much.

The bright outline on the right hand side was somewhat unintentional, I think it got doubled up somewhere and was meant to be not quite as bright. I'll fix that.

Thanks again U.  :D

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 29, 2013, 12:27:11 PM »

No problems! It's just one of the coolest and oldest mods of SS (SF!), and I wish it the best.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 29, 2013, 09:16:59 PM »

That thing is crazy cool, and looks absolutely amazing.

Although the shaft and the ring might look a little... TOO slick. Almost a little jarring to look from the top to the bottom, like it's made of two different art styles. It goes from being super clean to super dirty engines and armor.

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #216 on: September 29, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »

Got the rotation the way I wanted, with the crossbar and shadow layered and positioned properly. The ring rotates fully every 2.5 minutes, and is fully independent of the angle of the rest of the ship. It looks neat when you turn. Here's a gifcam, and the new version of the sprite at fullsize.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2013, 10:40:20 PM by Trylobot »

ssthehunter

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 29, 2013, 10:36:18 PM »

Very impressive, keep up the good work!
I hope this comes out soon :)

Uomoz

• Admiral
  • 'womo'dz
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 29, 2013, 10:41:49 PM »

May i suggest a custom interaction plugin for the mother fleet?

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #219 on: September 29, 2013, 10:50:01 PM »

May i suggest a custom interaction plugin for the mother fleet?
 That's not a bad idea, Uomoz. I'd never considered that really until I started seeing stuff about the custom dialogs after 0.6a was released. I'm not sure what special interactions would really be appropriate though, and I am definitely open to suggestions. One interesting thing might be to somehow get it to behave like a station that will allow you to trade and so forth, but I'm not sure what the effort for something like that would be. I don't think custom interactions are going to be for v1.0, but I'm not closed to the idea down the road.

That thing is crazy cool, and looks absolutely amazing.
Although the shaft and the ring might look a little... TOO slick. Almost a little jarring to look from the top to the bottom, like it's made of two different art styles. It goes from being super clean to super dirty engines and armor.
  Ah, well I'm actually glad you noticed that, because it's very intentional. The habitat ring is meant to be the heart of the ship, and it's meant to look a little less ragged than the rest of it. When it comes to the keel (spine) and the engine area, things get a little more hodgepodge. This is to illustrate the staggering age of the ship. According to the lore that I'm still working through, this one ship has been the heart of the Nomad fleet since they left Nur, and only patched, refitted or jury rigged since then. It's even been completely disabled on multiple occaisons, but never successfully boarded or completely destroyed, sometimes through sheer luck. Eventually, they always get it moving again.

Verrius

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 29, 2013, 11:00:49 PM »

Gotcha, that seems logical. As long as there is a reason, that's all that matters! Given that last bit, do you have any plans on protecting the lore from the player in the mod? Because of course, the first thing anyone is going to do when they get a supership and sneeze on it and make it vanish.

(Also, I don't actually think it'd take much effort to let you trade with the fleet type that normally contains it would be too high. I've got a plan out for something of my own there. It should, in theory, be pretty easy.)

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #221 on: September 29, 2013, 11:46:01 PM »

I don't think it'd take much effort to let you trade with fleets [...] plan for something of my own there.
  Sweet! Certainly let me know if you get something usable in that vein, I am interested in seeing how it's done.

I'm currently working on getting the Nomad Armada routing and behaving properly in the sector, and of course interacting with any systems that happen to be present whether they were generated from vanilla or from other folks' mods. Basically anywhere you can go, you should have a chance to meet them. They'll basically start at their home system and wander until they're all completely destroyed, or the flagship is destroyed/captured; in the latter case, the remaining fleets of the armada will scatter and eventually despawn at the home system. A new armada eventually spawns to keep the gameplay going, but only one will be active at any given time.

theSONY

• Admiral
  • Not a single Flux given
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 30, 2013, 05:33:33 AM »

looks nice BUT...
damage on the spining ring won't move along the ring (so it will look a bit strange)
2'nd AI won't shoop proparly, just like on any big long/wide ship
PS: do only I see this looks like a guitar  ? :D
-the ABOMINATION - in progress

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 30, 2013, 05:34:21 AM »

It's pretty cool ship. However what will be its role in the fleet? We got the Gila Monster as carrier/point-defense platform and the Sandstorm as a Brawler. I am thinking of some kind of freighter/tanker hybrid because of the tanks fuels/crates strapped to it. But then what's that big circle-bridge thingy?

Edit: Eh, fancy guitar... Personally i saw a key.

etherealblade

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 30, 2013, 06:37:16 AM »

Nope...It's definitely a Key Blade.
Spoiler

[close]
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 42