Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old player returning and lookin for tips.  (Read 1560 times)

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
Old player returning and lookin for tips.
« on: August 20, 2019, 09:25:19 PM »

Hey everyone! Old player coming back from the days before even the new economy system came out when we only had 2 systems lol, my computer broke before i could play with stuff like randomized systems and such but im getting a new one tomorrow and first thing im doin is reinstalling starsector, im up to date with the basics but still fairly unknown.

I hear starting as a scavenger is an easy start for beginners and will help in learning the new mechanics, i know my way around combat so thats not an issue but this new fangled salvaging, trading, surveying and making colonies foreign to me.

Got any tips and tricks that would help me begin my adventure?

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: Old player returning and lookin for tips.
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2019, 03:54:12 AM »

I will give you few tips.

1. Salvaging. You have basically 3 areas of salvaging - scrapfields, stations and ships. Scrapfields and stations can yields same items (and salvaged station make scrapfield after 1st salvage) , it can include : blueprint for you colonies shipyards, materials, weapons or supplies/fuel. Station give more stuff and of higher quality than most scrapfields, unless scrapfield is from station. Ship can give you some materials and weapons and supplies/fuel, but very rare blueprint. Sometimes you can recover ship in it's entirety and add it to fleet.

2. Trading. there is fully flegded produce/demand system. If for example system produce fuel but have shortage of food, food will be very good to sell there, but bad to buy, when fuel will be cheap to buy, but bad to sell. There are often trade offerts which can pop from communication system or in system bars, this are very profitable (200-300% worth of initial invest).

3 Surveying is basically inspecting planets if they have a ruins (for salvaging stuff), or other usefull stuff, like mineral and rare mineral veins, farming zones , organics and few others. If planet have bad quality of stuff inside it but low danger level, (75 % danger) it will give less money that good quality planet with low danger level , but higher than good planet with high danger level (600%).

4. Colonies will depend on surveying good planet and making colony. It will require more vespen gas depend how much money you have and what you can put on it. You cant put mining on planet without minerals and organics, and farms on planet without farm. You will need some supplies, crew and machinery to start colony, and then some more money to build your infrastructure and fabrics. After some time , you will be able to produce starships and earn money from your colonies.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 04:01:27 AM »

Imo the easiest way to make early game money is smuggling Supplies and Marines to Chalcedon. When you have enough marines, after you satisfied all its shortages, it's probably worthwhile to raid the spaceport yourself to create a bigger supply disruption, so you can come back a few weeks later to sell stuff at even higher margins.

connortron7

• Captain
  • "God has cursed me for my hubris" - brian gilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 07:36:00 PM »

I will give you few tips.

1. Salvaging. You have basically 3 areas of salvaging - scrapfields, stations and ships. Scrapfields and stations can yields same items (and salvaged station make scrapfield after 1st salvage) , it can include : blueprint for you colonies shipyards, materials, weapons or supplies/fuel. Station give more stuff and of higher quality than most scrapfields, unless scrapfield is from station. Ship can give you some materials and weapons and supplies/fuel, but very rare blueprint. Sometimes you can recover ship in it's entirety and add it to fleet.

2. Trading. there is fully flegded produce/demand system. If for example system produce fuel but have shortage of food, food will be very good to sell there, but bad to buy, when fuel will be cheap to buy, but bad to sell. There are often trade offerts which can pop from communication system or in system bars, this are very profitable (200-300% worth of initial invest).

3 Surveying is basically inspecting planets if they have a ruins (for salvaging stuff), or other usefull stuff, like mineral and rare mineral veins, farming zones , organics and few others. If planet have bad quality of stuff inside it but low danger level, (75 % danger) it will give less money that good quality planet with low danger level , but higher than good planet with high danger level (600%).

4. Colonies will depend on surveying good planet and making colony. It will require more vespen gas depend how much money you have and what you can put on it. You cant put mining on planet without minerals and organics, and farms on planet without farm. You will need some supplies, crew and machinery to start colony, and then some more money to build your infrastructure and fabrics. After some time , you will be able to produce starships and earn money from your colonies.

Thanks for the info! Was a big help.