Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: (Completely Theoretical) Automated Ship builds  (Read 3277 times)

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
(Completely Theoretical) Automated Ship builds
« on: August 20, 2019, 09:55:37 AM »

Let's see... players should be able to get the skill as soon as Level 5, Alpha cores can get up to 8 skills but dunno about Beta and Gamma, at a first glance both D and R ships have low supply costs for both maintenance and recovery. We don't exactly know what new combat skills do.

Fire support Glimmer. 1x Graviton Beam, 4x Harpoon, Expanded Missile Rack if possible, dump remaining OP into flux. A Gamma Core should suffice for officer.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 09:58:25 AM by SonnaBanana »
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: (Completely Theoretical) Automated Ship builds
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 10:06:41 AM »

Well, based on my fights against remnant fleets, I'd have to suggest: a single Radiant-class battleship, armed with four autopulse lasers, one tachyon lance, and four sabot pods.  Install an Alpha core with missile specialization.  Watch it waltz up and delete a Paragon.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 10:09:03 AM »

Yep, obviously it's going to be about Radiants. Rest of remnant ships seem to be sidegrades at best, but Radiant is simply superior to all other capitals, while also being the cheapest at 40 DP (same as Conquest). There is literally nothing better you could do with your DP.
I kind of expect it to be nerfed in next release, now that player get at least partial access to it (still can't pilot).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:12:58 AM by TaLaR »

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 10:21:49 AM »

What about Scintillas, it has the highest number of fighter bays/DP. Equip it with gamma cores with only fighter boosting skills, arm  with 1 Longbow and 1 Trident. With the recall system to double Bomber DPS, it will be the fleet bomber spammer to give Drover fighter spam some teeth.

Edit: oh yeah you can change the ship.csv to make remnant ships capturable, or text edit the save file to give your fleet some remnant ships to test out.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 10:53:40 AM by goduranus »

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 10:34:47 AM »

Since we cannot pilot them, loadouts need to be usable by AI.  (Nothing only the player can use effectively.)

With the playable Remnant mod (before Radiant was added), I liked Brillant with Heavy Maulers and Gauss Cannon.  Could kite-and-snipe from long range.  Do not know if AI would actually kite-and-snipe like the player.

Before Radiant, Remnants were not that scary and were annoying for being cowards with more PPT than human ships.

I have my eyes on Radiant.

I would not be surprised if Radiant trades its skimmer for that new blue energy Locusts.

Re: Scintillas.  They have Recall Device.  That means bomber abuse like with Astral.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 10:48:18 AM »

You think Alex will make Guardians recoverable?
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 11:02:23 AM »

Alex has already stated that Guardian will not be recoverable even with that skill.
I myself am waiting to see the AI core abuse. They can pick whatever skills they want — what if I pick every skill from tier 5 and 3, without bothering with earlier ones? Now that's nasty. And I don't even have to deal with RNG, as with meatbag officers.

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2019, 11:16:00 AM »

You think Alex will make Guardians recoverable?

If you want to play with it, you can easily edit the ship_data.csv, and delete the Unboardable trait for the ship you want.
It's found under Starsector/starsector-core/data/hulls

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2019, 12:29:42 PM »

I think Alex has already stated recovering remnant will have restrictions on total CR*DP available:
"However, the Automated Ships skill can counter this penalty entirely – or less than entirely – depending on how many automated ships the player decides to have in their fleet. One battleship, with moderate combat readiness? A couple of cruises? A pack of frigates? All viable options."
I am assuming it's gonna be somewhere around 2400 CR*DP, since you can assign the CR skill for every ship, making pack of smaller ships might be better given you have enough alpha cores.
I'm going for 4 remnant carriers just for the hell of their recall device.

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 12:40:05 PM »

Just 1 Radiant with Alpha core is already decent boost. It's free officer on top of 10 limit, and a 40 DP ship about equal in strength to 60 DP Paragon, but more mobile. It also happens to be relatively easy for AI to pilot competently, compared to other capitals.

Though I guess several smaller ships having free officers over 10 limit is also a decent option.

Sutopia

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2019, 12:44:28 PM »

Just 1 Radiant with Alpha core is already decent boost. It's free officer on top of 10 limit, and a 40 DP ship about equal in strength to 60 DP Paragon, but more mobile. It also happens to be relatively easy for AI to pilot competently, compared to other capitals.

Though I guess several smaller ships having free officers over 10 limit is also a decent option.
Don't forget the new Gunnery Implant effect, frigates get extra 6% EW.
Now imagine a full pack of alpha cored frigates just EW the hell out of it.
I'm in!
« Last Edit: August 20, 2019, 12:47:34 PM by Sutopia »

Since all my mods have poor reputation, I deem my efforts unworthy thus no more updates will be made.

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2019, 02:55:27 PM »

Yep, obviously it's going to be about Radiants. Rest of remnant ships seem to be sidegrades at best, but Radiant is simply superior to all other capitals, while also being the cheapest at 40 DP (same as Conquest). There is literally nothing better you could do with your DP.
I kind of expect it to be nerfed in next release, now that player get at least partial access to it (still can't pilot).
The DP cost of the Radiant will probably be upped to 60 at least.
Check out my ships

goduranus

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2019, 08:28:52 PM »

https://sectorloadouts.info/view/tmb8Yv8W6r9rs6QNP

Got a good Scintilla loadout for complementing Spark Drover Spam. Khopesh and Longbow complements Sparks by providing armor penetration and Hard Flux, both of which Sparks lack. Once the Khopesh puts some dents in the armor, Sparks actually hit pretty hard.

Khopesh and Longbow is usually a good combo because they fire their ordinance around the same time, giving the AI no opportunity to flash its shields to avoid the Sabots.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 08:40:24 PM by goduranus »