Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Flight deck suggestion  (Read 4990 times)

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
Flight deck suggestion
« on: March 12, 2012, 12:41:38 PM »

Flight decks are good... Very very good. So the ships we have so far generally only have one flightdeck, and we don't have a ton of options right now as far as carriers go (which is fine for this early in the game). Seeing as how good carriers are, many feel that more early game or low fleet point ships could make the game too easy considering how good repairable wings of fighters/bombers are. So in comes my suggestion. How about having a ship in the frigate or destroyer size range that has one flightdeck, but it has limited uses per battle. Maybe 2-4. My thinking is that the difference between zero flight decks and one is MASSIVE. So why not have something inbetween?

Plasmatic

• Admiral
  • Curious no?
    • View Profile
Re: Flight deck suggestion
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 02:24:08 PM »

I think this is a good idea..

And your right, the difference between having no flight deck and having just one is huge.. this could change that

Though I'm not sure how you would represent how many uses it has left in game..
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt"
- Maurice Switzer

factotum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 03:02:27 PM »

Why not just have a small ship with a flight deck, but few enough hangar slots that you can't actually dock the nastier fighter wings to it? That would fit within the existing UI and wouldn't overbalance things too much--no idea if the game AI can handle the idea of a carrier you can only use for Talons and maybe Piranhas, though!

Arrath

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 03:42:27 PM »

Why not just have a small ship with a flight deck, but few enough hangar slots that you can't actually dock the nastier fighter wings to it? That would fit within the existing UI and wouldn't overbalance things too much--no idea if the game AI can handle the idea of a carrier you can only use for Talons and maybe Piranhas, though!

I like this idea. Adding a limited stock of repair & refits to flight decks is just more stuff to keep track of in battle. Maybe fighter tier vs carrier tier would be the metric, so a tier 1 carrier could handle Talons and other weaker fighters, then a tier 2 could handle heavier fighters like Broadswords, etc.

MidnightSun

• Commander
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2012, 04:12:55 PM »

I like this idea best. It makes some sense that smaller, lower-tech carriers such as Condors can't effectively refit higher-tech fighters in battle. Perhaps allow the Condor to support only Talons, Broadswords, and Piranhas, while a more mid-line and dedicated carrier can support Thunders, Gladius, Warthog, and only the Astral and Odyssey can refit Daggers, Xyphos, etc. That, in addition to the number of flight decks (and perhaps flight deck efficiency?) could better distinguish each carrier from the others.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2012, 04:22:32 PM »

Are you sure this is even needed? The condor is very easy to get.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2012, 04:58:46 PM »

@icepick37: Currently it is easy. Maybe in the future it won't be so much. Plus it has a lot of drawbacks for a person who doesn't plan on being heavily reliant on fighters and bombers. For instance in my current game I only have a total of five fighter wings, and I often only deploy two or three of them. A 10-15 point carrier is a lot of expense for so few fighters. So why not have a limited repair frigate or small destroyer that is low on FPs and also is fast, but maybe very fragile.

Honestly I think that carriers should be limited in repairs in the first place. You have endless replacement parts for no cost now...

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2012, 07:09:21 PM »

Yeah, but that is likely to change as economy is implemented.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

Nanostrike

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2012, 09:51:39 PM »

I'd be cool with splitting the carrier's a bit more.

Divide Flight Decks into Small and Large.

Small can handle all Interceptors, but only the smaller Heavy Fighters and Bombers.
Large can handle everything.

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 10:47:14 PM »

There was a blog post about this a while back - that was actually the original implementation, and it was deemed unintuitive and the idea scrapped.

That said, I do like the notion of varying repair times - give the condor an edge over the less-dedicated carriers like the Gemini or the Venture, and make the Astral really worth its fleet point value.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2012, 08:48:19 AM »

There was a blog post about this a while back - that was actually the original implementation, and it was deemed unintuitive and the idea scrapped.

That said, I do like the notion of varying repair times - give the condor an edge over the less-dedicated carriers like the Gemini or the Venture, and make the Astral really worth its fleet point value.
That actually seems pretty reasonable. And fairly intuitive.
- Voltaire

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2012, 09:42:38 AM »

Repair times is a good idea. I approve! Currently I think the fighters repair a bit too fast... But anywho varying times would be cool. I also think varying times based on what fighter is being fixed would make sense as well.

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 10:00:10 AM »

I also think varying times based on what fighter is being fixed would make sense as well.
Does it not do that? You specify data for it in the wing_data.csv anyway.
- Voltaire

Nori

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2012, 10:18:30 AM »

Hmm, not sure. Guess I assumed it didn't and never really noticed a difference. The fighters seem to pop out a bit too quickly in any case.. I was fighting a venture with several talon, piranha, and broadsword wings. I would get them down to one ship left, barely alive and they would pop into the venture and be out 20 seconds later brand new...

Upgradecap

• Admiral
  • CEO of the TimCORP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »

I also think varying times based on what fighter is being fixed would make sense as well.
Does it not do that? You specify data for it in the wing_data.csv anyway.

It does not, no. It only specifies how long the fighters stay in battle, or atleast, that's what i think. I have tried changing it and it does specify how long the fighters stay in the heat.
Pages: [1] 2