Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starting scenario bonuses  (Read 4097 times)

Drewsen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starting scenario bonuses
« on: August 20, 2019, 12:01:12 AM »

Hi guys, returning player here, have no played Starsector for over 3 years, and am so far really liking all the juicy updates.

I have a question regarding the scenarios given at the start of the game.
My first start I chose the Wolf, and began with missions given by the Hegemony, which were fun, but I was looking for more of a bare-bones, open ended start like the old version I played.

I tried an alternate start but found I waa given a $15k monthly income and another $18k by the Hegemony.

Is there a breakdown of each starting scenario and what bonuses are given with each option?
I remember the older vesion when I started with just a Wolf and $4k, and had to make it on my own.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starting scenario bonuses
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 12:05:23 AM »

There is spacer start (which you need to unlock in config file). It gives you a crappy weapon-slot-less shuttle and negative income each month (-1000* level).

Drewsen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 05:09:16 AM »

There is spacer start (which you need to unlock in config file). It gives you a crappy weapon-slot-less shuttle and negative income each month (-1000* level).

I don't really want to start with a disadvantage or an advantage.

I really would just like the start from the older version, where I had no income, a wolf and neutral alignment with all factions.
This was a nice balanced start, and let me kind of make it on my own, without being either cripplingly handicapped, or lavished with free credits.

TaLaR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 05:31:42 AM »

"enableStipend" - setting this to false in config file should probably disable the stipend. Didn't try myself, but sounds right.

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 09:46:01 AM »

But you asked how to start with a disadvantage. Stipends are part of every starting scenario except the spacer start. It's just part of the game now, but so is having a monthly payment for crew, officers, and storage.

I'm not aware of any starting scenario breakdowns, but the game does a precise job of listing the effects of the options you choose.

You could use console commands to neutralize your relations with the hegemony. Pretty sure that would be:
setrelation hegemony 0

Igncom1

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 10:05:28 AM »

It's due to the tutorial giving you the bonus, and you'd basically never not want to do the tutorial and not get the free money bonus, or even the free fleet. Just starting with it basically prevents you feeling like you need to do that every new game you start.

But I fast start every game now, Anything less then a destroyer is just painful and slow to me.
Sunders are the best ship in the game.

Drewsen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2019, 02:54:31 PM »

But you asked how to start with a disadvantage. Stipends are part of every starting scenario except the spacer start. It's just part of the game now, but so is having a monthly payment for crew, officers, and storage.

I'm not aware of any starting scenario breakdowns, but the game does a precise job of listing the effects of the options you choose.

You could use console commands to neutralize your relations with the hegemony. Pretty sure that would be:
setrelation hegemony 0

I never asked for a disadvantage, only a neutral start.

Also the breakdown for the options I start with only gives vague information, i.e 'You are a bounty hunter flying a Wolf class frigate.' and some extra information regarding the ship type.

I suppose now with the new fees and costs, the stipend does help balance things out a little bit, and help get the ball rolling in terms of progress.

Plantissue

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 10:08:49 AM »

The stipend is huge. It's 35 months of 15k I think, so after 3 years it totals 525k. It exists so that inexperienced players don't suddenly run out of money when they decide to spend all their money on a new ship and suddenly they can't pay for crew upkeep.

Drewsen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 04:53:17 PM »

Exactly, I am a returning player though, and what I most enjoy is that struggle to the top, selling a few things here and there, saving for my first ships etc.

Offensive_Name

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 09:54:47 PM »

You could install the ruthless sector mod.