Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Newbie question about "second in command" option.  (Read 2803 times)

Count Zero Interrupt

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Newbie question about "second in command" option.
« on: August 19, 2019, 07:51:02 PM »

Hi. I'm new to the game so please be kind. I quickly discovered that I don't have the dexterity for manual battles so prefer the option to let the second in command handle the battle to for me. My problem is that the option seems to have disappeared. I had the option once and used it but never saw it again. The only options I get now are to "transfer command" to a new ship or continue. I thought maybe I needed to hire an officer for another ship but I have 2 now and still no option. Can anyone tell me what I have done or am not doing to get this option back?

SafariJohn

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Newbie question about "second in command" option.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 07:54:36 PM »

Second in command is only for pursuit battles, and you have a 0% chance of losing ships when you use it.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 08:51:48 PM »

If your troubles with ship controls continue, you could try toggling the "Invert behaviour of 'Strafe and turn to cursor' button" in the settings and see how that works out.

Also stick to faster and more nimble ships when you're not used to things yet. Sometimes the momentum of heavier and brawlier ships are hard to anticipate. Wolfs are just great.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

SapphireSage

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2019, 06:11:15 AM »

As stated above, the second-in-command option is only for auto resolving pursuits. It guarantees that no damage comes to your ships.

If you'd like to try doing battle, this reddit link provides a lot of good advice.

Otherwise, if you'd prefer to automate things then you can use the autopilot feature in combat. Just be aware that performing any action other than looking around with mouse and targeting nearby ships will disable autopilot. It would be nice if it was possible to "lock-in" autopilot and take a more active action in order to disable it.

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2019, 08:09:29 AM »

In addition to no casualties, it is also much faster than playing out the battle, and it can kill ships that are otherwise impossible to kill in a real battle, possibly with ill-equipped ships (that normally have no business fighting) selected.  I almost always auto-resolve pursuit.