Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Weapon Mods  (Read 1705 times)

Offensive_Name

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Weapon Mods
« on: August 19, 2019, 02:10:07 PM »

Like hullmods but for a single weapon, where after you place the weapon you get a list of mods that can be added to it. They would probably be cheap and maybe there would need to be a limit on how many you can add to a single weapon.

some examples could be adding some mods to your engine facing pd weapons to increase their damage to missiles, or maybe increasing their target leading accuracy. Adding some range to one of your main guns in exchange for turning speed on a turret, or maybe setting a turret mount to only face a certain direction but boosting the stats of the weapon placed on it.

This might just add too much complexity and clutter to the game but I just that it would be a neat idea.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Mods
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 02:17:18 PM »

This might just add too much complexity and clutter to the game but I just that it would be a neat idea.
It really, really would. Weapons have a distinct look and sound associated with a certain behaviour. With ships, you can see that the ship has certain weapons and you can decide how dangerous it is without bringing complete information on it. Weapons are much smaller, thus can convey less information, so they don't have any variations. Modified weapons would be hard or impossible to tell apart from normal weapons, until you are surprised that the tactic you just attempted did not work, as the enemy had some weapon modifications you noticed only after it might be too late. It's better to just have better weapons that have their own individual signature looks and sounds.

Offensive_Name

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 02:31:00 PM »

It really, really would. Weapons have a distinct look and sound associated with a certain behaviour. With ships, you can see that the ship has certain weapons and you can decide how dangerous it is without bringing complete information on it. Weapons are much smaller, thus can convey less information, so they don't have any variations. Modified weapons would be hard or impossible to tell apart from normal weapons, until you are surprised that the tactic you just attempted did not work, as the enemy had some weapon modifications you noticed only after it might be too late. It's better to just have better weapons that have their own individual signature looks and sounds.

You are right, the more I think about the idea the less I like it.

Nick XR

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 02:59:24 PM »

FWIW, if you want a similar result in choice variety install half a dozen new faction mods and you'll have three or four weapons that can fill every imaginable niche.

Offensive_Name

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 03:25:58 PM »

FWIW, if you want a similar result in choice variety install half a dozen new faction mods and you'll have three or four weapons that can fill every imaginable niche.

I have so many mods in my game I have to increase the allowed ram to 10 gigs, and the game is still sluggish. You are very right, there are so many guns that I am still finding new ones and I am 2 years in.