Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Threat level for harder endgame  (Read 779 times)

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Threat level for harder endgame
« on: August 19, 2019, 12:31:23 PM »

The game becomes too easy after you have a good colony or two, with unlimited income and a strong fleet there is no danger anymore, winning becomes a simple factor of time, and at least for me, it becomes too boring, i always restart after taking down a faction or two.

So, what if there was a player threat level, every great deed like successfully invading a large world, betraying a faction or expanding colonies too fast would raise your threat level, this would amplify all rep loss with other factions and make them send bigger fleets after your colonies instead of sending sad little scraps that get obliterated in orbit every time, also enemies joining in alliances against you would become more common, after all a nobody who in less than 3 years forms a faction and destroys the hegemony would be a danger to the whole system.

Obviously there are people who enjoy taking their time and playing slowly. This could be an option you set when starting the game.
Check out my ships

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Threat level for harder endgame
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 01:26:54 PM »

I don't think bigger is better. Bigger fleets just take longer to kill and make battles feel like marathons while not actually being  much more threatening. I think the players ascendance to dominance in the sector should be slowed and more powerful enemies should be introduced. Also, remnants make for a better final boss than any of the factions. I'm pretty sure there's plans for that, so I wouldn't expect the normal factions to actually be the proper end game threat.

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 02:38:07 PM »

I am all for a new more powerful threat, but for now just having enemy/neutral factions of the sector actively fight against you would be better than having them wait and watch as you destroy them one by one.
Check out my ships

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 03:48:46 PM »

I am all for a new more powerful threat, but for now just having enemy/neutral factions of the sector actively fight against you would be better than having them wait and watch as you destroy them one by one.
They already do this with expeditions.  They spend more effort attacking the player than they do pirates or their enemies, even if official relations are cooperative.  Mostly a babysitting annoyance.