Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Modding ShieldAPI  (Read 1952 times)

Sundog

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Modding ShieldAPI
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 07:21:22 PM »

Yeah, I did see it back then!
Oh, I know. I just couldn't pass up such a good opportunity to push my agenda  ;D

Daquan_Baton

• Ensign
  • Selling this sphere thing for $10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 11:01:50 PM »

I've played that hammerhead loadout countless times (with different missiles, but still high explosive, typically atropos torpedoes), although I can't stop myself from playing more of a support role rather than an assault/attack role that you're attempting. I also find medium ACs to be fairly flux intensive relative to other mediums, albeit with better DPS at the cost of shortening individual engagement times for one ship.

Alex hit the point with what he said about the loadout earlier. Perhaps instead high explosive for the small weapon slots near the medium slots to add more certainty of damage? Or if you're more keen to getting in an enemy's face with your weapons, maybe the high velocity driver would be better suited for what you're going for, you can engage from a longer range before getting close with whatever high explosive missiles, while keeping the enemy shield-locked with the kinetic smalls, although that still seems like a support loadout to me...
Trapped in a freaking derelict tugboat...

Wyvern

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2019, 11:24:04 AM »

I recently switched over it's loadout to 2x Heavy Autocannons and 2x Anhillator Rocket Launchers to try to mix anti-shield and anti-armor.
Yeah, that feels like it'd probably be a bit clumsy to use as a primary vessel, though it'd be okayish as fire-support for other ships.

Then again, my takes tend towards not relying on missiles at all; a hammerhead with a pair of railguns (forward turrets), a pair of vulcans (rear turrets), an arbalest, and a heavy mortar, is pretty solid.  Insulated Engines, ITU if you've got it, max vents, at least 8 capacitors, season to taste with other hull mods or maybe harpoons (for AI use) or sabots (if you're going to be flying the ship yourself).  The hard part, there, is finding that pair of railguns; you can substitute light needlers, but those are pretty rare too.

For a design that doesn't rely on rare weapons, I'd try 2x arbalest, 2x light assault gun, 2x vulcan; it won't have quite as much anti-armor punch, but it'll fare better against (unshielded) enemy fighters.

Or, if you do have all the rare things, 1x HVD, 1x Heavy Mauler, 2x railgun, 2x vulcan, ITU, is a very solid build for AI use.  Maybe a bit slow to kill stuff for player use, but the stand-off engagement range dramatically improves survivability.
Wyvern is 100% correct about the math.
Pages: 1 [2]