Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: Hungry Infection  (Read 1158 times)

Echoen

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Hungry Infection
« on: August 18, 2019, 09:36:19 PM »

Hi everyone! Forgive my strangeness, but I come bearing an exciting tale.

First, a little bit about me. I like to use space sim games like Master of Orion II, Endless Space 2, and Starsector as roleplaying games. In this particular playthrough, I'm 'roleplaying' as Echoen's Infection, an A.I virus that's sentient and only uses glitchy alpha A.I's to run colonies.

On to the story. I've built up my four colonies and my customized armada of carriers and heavy cruisers, ten pilots all level 20 customized how I want, huge cargo space, crew space, fuel space, and I set off to the distant corner of the map for a story quest.

I smoke everything, but not all battles are a breeze. Tense and exciting and opportunity for more fleet tweaking, deploy strategies.

On the way back, I run low on supplies and fuel. I'm skipping star sytem to star system to pillage everything I can find. But I dread what comes next.

Hegemony. A wall of their star systems greets me to the core worlds. Am I, and my thousands of hungry grumpy crew, prepared to do battle with the full might of the Hegemony?

I strike hard, and brutal. I leave no survivors. I hit their biggest battlestation in the closest system head on and suck up its supplies to rearm, refuel.

I devour local pirates and feast on their corpses for fuel and supplies.

From star system to star system, I consume. Echoen's Infection has reached a critical mass and I am HUNGRY.

Finally, I arrive upon the Hegemony's Level 8 station. The biggest colony they have. Their core world. I find it beset by three maximized groups of pirates.

I lingered. I stalk, as my phase Doom Ships like to do as they lay phase mines across the battlefield. I devour the castoffs. I pursue the stragglers. My crew feast upon their remains.

The battlestation wins against the pirates, of course. A level 8 is no joke, even for three armies of Reavers. Their fleets tired and their crew frothing, the pirates are repelled - and I POUNCE UPON THEM.

MY CREW AT 50% PREPAREDNESS . THE ENEMY OVER 100 SHIPS STRONG.  My deploy limit limited. I select my fiercist ships and place myself in the seat of the most aggressively designed battlecruiser, a cheeky *** of lasers and blasters that distracts the capital ships and tanks their fire with incredible shields, allowing the ungodly hordes of bombers catch it unawares and taken from 100% to 0% in an instant.

Echoen's Infection feasts upon the pirates for days. Their hulking behemoths of jury-rigged colony ships turned to scrap to plate the armor of my raggedy, vicious ships. Their surviving crew press ganged, their supplies devoured. My fleet is near full strength again as I turn and face the pirate-weary Hegemony battlestation. They were weak. I was strong again.