Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: How to change sector gen configs?  (Read 6344 times)

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
How to change sector gen configs?
« on: August 18, 2019, 12:14:15 PM »

I hate empty systems and how good systems have so few planets, how can i increase the overall number of planets on my sector?
Check out my ships

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: How to change sector gen configs?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2019, 11:41:03 AM »

Is there no way to do so then? Is sector gen hardcoded?
Check out my ships

xenoargh

• Admiral
  • naively breaking things!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »

No, it can totally be done; but it's non-trivial, you need to change things in SectorGen.  See the current modding sub-forum to see an example that somebody's working on.
Please check out my SS projects :)
Xeno's Mod Pack

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2019, 12:36:00 PM »

Thanks i will check out
Check out my ships

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2019, 06:24:07 PM »

Starsector\starsector-core\data\campaign\procgen

Inside the procgen folder is an csv file named "star_gen_data.csv" that the game uses for procedurally generating the systems.  It's a csv file so any spreadsheet (excel/libreoffice/openoffice) application can open it up. You can also be really brave and use a notepad if you are like that.

If you want more planets, then the two columns you want to pay special attention to is "minOrbits" and maxOrbits".

minOrbits determine the minimum number of cosmic bodies that a system can have. maxOrbits determine the maximum number.

If you want certain types of star systems to have a lot more planets, then just change the two amounts corresponding to the type of star systems to the left.

If you like moons, in the same folder there is a file called "planet_gen_data.csv". It's pretty much the same thing. There's a minOrbits, and maxOrbits for each type of planet.

You know what. I change a lot in the game data files. Maybe I should compile all of this into one thread.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2019, 02:52:13 PM »

Inside the procgen folder is an csv file named "star_gen_data.csv" that the game uses for procedurally generating the systems.  It's a csv file so any spreadsheet (excel/libreoffice/openoffice) application can open it up. You can also be really brave and use a notepad if you are like that.

If you want more planets, then the two columns you want to pay special attention to is "minOrbits" and maxOrbits".

minOrbits determine the minimum number of cosmic bodies that a system can have. maxOrbits determine the maximum number.

If you want certain types of star systems to have a lot more planets, then just change the two amounts corresponding to the type of star systems to the left.

If you like moons, in the same folder there is a file called "planet_gen_data.csv". It's pretty much the same thing. There's a minOrbits, and maxOrbits for each type of planet.

You know what. I change a lot in the game data files. Maybe I should compile all of this into one thread.
Oh man thanks! i was checking out how to make a mod at this point, I'm glad i can just edit a csv instead.
Check out my ships

wtftucker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 07:59:48 AM »

So after adjusting the min and max orbits only in those files the game CTD with a Json error.  Nother other changes were made but it loads up fine with the orginal file put back in place or the original values.  Any idea why this would be the case?  Are you doing this with only the base game and no other mods like Nex?  Apologies for the chain of questions, I'm loving the added difficulty of Nex plus lots of other factions over vanilla but I would love to increase the number of planets and colonization options for the factions significantly for even more challenge. 

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 02:07:33 PM »

I modified my file just fine (weirdly some systems are still empty, probably something can override the minOrbits setting), but i see more planets overall

@wtftucker maybe you modified the wrong value or deleted a comma by accident.
Check out my ships

wtftucker

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 04:32:08 PM »

I modified my file just fine (weirdly some systems are still empty, probably something can override the minOrbits setting), but i see more planets overall

Are you using nexerin by chance??  Looking at the log changing those settings seemed to cause some error with Exerin but I'm not sure what. 

Ed

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2019, 02:27:29 PM »

Are you using nexerin by chance??  Looking at the log changing those settings seemed to cause some error with Exerin but I'm not sure what.

Yes, I am using it, along with 36 other mods, so far no problem, but i suspect something overwrote my modifications since i can still find empty systems now and then
Check out my ships

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 11:44:34 PM »

So after adjusting the min and max orbits only in those files the game CTD with a Json error.  Nother other changes were made but it loads up fine with the orginal file put back in place or the original values.  Any idea why this would be the case?  Are you doing this with only the base game and no other mods like Nex?  Apologies for the chain of questions, I'm loving the added difficulty of Nex plus lots of other factions over vanilla but I would love to increase the number of planets and colonization options for the factions significantly for even more challenge.

Hey sorry about missing the update to the thread.

I am doing this with a bunch of mods loaded in. Almost all of them. Too many to count.

Off the top of my head, one thing that could be happening is that the UTF settings are changed. Or in simpler terms, the format has changed. When openoffice opens an csv file, it will ask in what encoding it should open it up with. And it will do so with the selection box highlighted. A slight mouse wheel roll will change it, and while it shows everything in place, the application cannot read it, probably due to some header information it is expecting but not seeing.

Some things to clarify the situation: Have you tried just changing on value and seeing if it crashes? Or are you using the crashing file and swapping it with the original only?

Some other things that might be happening: Because it is a CSV file (comma-separated-file) the spreadsheet program you are using might be asking you (or not asking you) whether you want to save it as an excel file. This is obviously a big no-no. Changing file formats that applications read rarely ends well.

Another thing you can try is to open it up in a plain text file (like notepad) and compare your modified csv file to the original one to see if there are any notable changes.

Hope this helps. If all else fails, I could send you the csv file with the changes you need and see if that works.

« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 11:48:05 PM by Flare »
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"