Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] Grand Sector  (Read 191686 times)

Alec

• Ensign
    • View Profile
[0.9.1a] Grand Sector
« on: August 18, 2019, 01:22:00 AM »

Download.

This mod makes the Sector size bigger and let's you change the number of star systems generated, with a new hyperstorm map.

By default this mod does:
  • Increased map size 1.3x
  • Doubles the number of star systems, including blackholes.
  • New hyperspace storm pattern.
  • Adds an option to toggle the creation of hyperstorms.

Custom amount of star systems:

You can change the size of the Sector and the number of systems to whatever you want in.  Grand Sector\data\config\settings.json by changing the GrandSectorCount value.
And if you want or not hyperstorms in your sector with a few other values to play around.

If the hyperstorm pattern doesn't change read the spoiler.
Spoiler
Compatibility with Nexerelin:
First make a backup of Starsector\starsector-core\data\campaign\terrain\hyperspace_map.png.

Copy from this mod Grand Sector\data\campaign\terrain\anon-hyperspace.png and paste it on the game's folder Starsector\starsector-core\data\campaign\terrain. Then change rename the PNG to hyperspace_map.
[close]

Old version.

Thanks to Dwarden, Histidine, TheWikiFish and /ssg/'s Anons for the help.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2019, 07:40:55 AM by Alec »

PyroFuzz

• Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [0.9.1a] Grand Sector
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:32:46 AM »

Cool! With all these different map size mods I can only imagine how close we are to a map slider.  :D
Hello!

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:50:53 AM »

Really nice.
Can you make some versions with different size of sector and star system numbers or its easy to mod by?

Clibanarius

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 06:23:35 AM »

Might I proffer an explanation as to why Nexerelin's version of the hyperspace map might conflict? The game loads mods in alphabetical order. Certain mods are named 'ZZ Mod Name' in the loader to address this. If you rename the mod in its mod_info.json to that format, you should be good.

SonnaBanana

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 06:37:04 AM »

Oooh nice!
I'm not going to check but you should feel bad :( - Alex

SweetCrosby

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2019, 10:58:18 AM »

Is it possible to get inactive gates to spawn in the edge sectors? Would like to get that running with the new space.

Offensive_Name

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 02:54:03 PM »

Can I get a pic of the new hyperspace design?

Alec

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2019, 06:22:15 PM »

Can you make some versions with different size of sector and star system numbers or its easy to mod by?
Sure.
For modify it, it's just changing a few numbers and hit compile.

Is it possible to get inactive gates to spawn in the edge sectors? Would like to get that running with the new space.
Probably, but don't know how.

Can I get a pic of the new hyperspace design?
https://i.imgur.com/ZfHlkG2.png

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 12:33:04 AM »

Yo Alec, doesn't this mod basically, only stretch the sector canvas ?
You don't rly get any additional constellations nor stars after around w:180K h:140k you can test this by going w:200k h:200k.
As for the location of the addConstellationsToSectorCanvas() method or whatever it is called ... no clue.

Umo i think i understand whats going on grand sector doesn't increase the number of constellations for me i had to manually edit starfarer.api.jar to get that this could be related to nex or be general problem of overriding classes in starfarer.api.jar   
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:42:39 AM by Amorphis »
"The early worm catcheth the bird."

krisslanza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2019, 03:27:45 PM »

I've been using this mod for a while with my heavily modded Nex stuff, since I throw in so many factions the vanilla Sector is pretty crowded, surprisingly. However, something I've been curious to as I play more and more with this Grand Sector mod...

Does it seem to mess with the system generation somewhat? I've always heard that, in general, to encourage the exploration and use of further away systems, the game tends to generate more valuable/higher class planets and salvage in the further away systems. But I don't think I've seen this reflected when using this mod so far, I don't think I've even seen a Cyrosleeper still, and I do find a lot of pretty trashy systems even in the far reaches of the sector (or some without any planets at all).

This might just be confirmation bias, of course, or that system generation/spawning doesn't actually work that way.

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 03:04:42 AM »

I've been using this mod for a while with my heavily modded Nex stuff, since I throw in so many factions the vanilla Sector is pretty crowded, surprisingly. However, something I've been curious to as I play more and more with this Grand Sector mod...

Does it seem to mess with the system generation somewhat? I've always heard that, in general, to encourage the exploration and use of further away systems, the game tends to generate more valuable/higher class planets and salvage in the further away systems. But I don't think I've seen this reflected when using this mod so far, I don't think I've even seen a Cyrosleeper still, and I do find a lot of pretty trashy systems even in the far reaches of the sector (or some without any planets at all).

This might just be confirmation bias, of course, or that system generation/spawning doesn't actually work that way.
I never played vanilla so i can't say anything regarding your observation, but i have an inkling that you might be right there.
You can take a look at starsector-core\starfarer.api\com\fs\starfarer\api\impl\campaign\procgen\StarSystemGenerator.java and esp \fs\starfarer\api\impl\campaign\procgen\themes\BaseThemeGenerator.java
To figure out how entities are spawned, there is something like a weighting function that does smthing regarding spawn chances. 

Yo Alec
Sector width and height are used by \fs\starfarer\api\impl\campaign\procgen\SectorProcGen.java where the constellation array is set up as well and incidentally its also limited to only 100 as the var count = 100.

Sarissofoi

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 03:46:05 AM »

Cyrosleeper

I have two in my current game.

@krisslanza
do you use Unknown Skies?
I think its the issue
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 03:52:53 AM by Sarissofoi »

krisslanza

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 05:52:52 AM »

Cyrosleeper

I have two in my current game.

@krisslanza
do you use Unknown Skies?
I think its the issue

I do use Unknown Skies, is that one making the systems spawn differently? From its description, it should only be adding more planet types...

Hrothgar

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2019, 06:14:53 AM »

Cryosleepers are sometimes hide in totally worthless systems- most extreme i can remember is a zero planet system, where sleeper was on egde of furthest , giant ring of asteroids, and i hit it by accident.

Innominandum

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2019, 07:26:59 AM »

"sectorWidth":264000, "sectorHeight":224000, same Seed

Original Stargen maxed at 100 Constas

No fancy graphics Original

Modified 180 Constas max

No fancy graphics modified

Ah, sweet sweet 10 fps while looking at the Sector map ... marvelous

I manually edited starfarer.api.jar (compiled a new version of SectorProcGen.class and just replaced this one with the one in the jar) doesn't work for me as a mod though dunno why. Could anyone have a look at that or a suggestion to make it work as a mod ?

Umo Alec i think i understand whats going on grand sector doesn't increase the number of constellations for me i had to manually edit starfarer.api.jar to get that this could be related to nex or be general problem of overriding classes in starfarer.api.jar   
« Last Edit: August 30, 2019, 07:45:13 AM by Amorphis »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5