Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Starsector refusing to start  (Read 1141 times)

Armadyllo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
Starsector refusing to start
« on: August 18, 2019, 12:42:08 AM »

Hey all, just bought this game. I've been trying to no avail to get it to run, and I've looked at many of the forum posts with people having the same issues as me. I've tried reinstalling Java, deleting _JAVA_OPTIONS, changing the amount of memory it uses, running the batch file, running the batch file through the command prompt, deleting then reinstalling the game, and I'm about ready to give up.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: Starsector refusing to start
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 08:11:31 AM »

Hi - sorry about the trouble!

If you run the game using the command line, and the .bat file, what's the output? That should hopefully clue us into what's going wrong.

Also, might help to know what your operating system is.

Edit: if the error is "The system cannot find the path specified", and especially if you're running a 32-bit system, then take a look here for a likely solution:

http://fractalsoftworks.com/forum/index.php?topic=15837.msg254807#msg254807

« Last Edit: August 18, 2019, 08:13:43 AM by Alex »

Armadyllo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 12:28:02 PM »

C:\Program Files (x86)\Fractal Softworks\Starsector\starsector-core>..\jre\bin\java.exe -Djava.library.path=native\windows -Xms1536m -Xmx1536m -Xss1024k -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.logs=. -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.saves=../saves -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.screenshots=../screenshots -Dcom.fs.starfarer.settings.paths.mods=../mods -classpath janino.jar;commons-compiler.jar;commons-compiler-jdk.jar;starfarer.res.jar;starfarer.api.jar;starfarer_obf.jar;jogg-0.0.7.jar;jorbis-0.0.15.jar;json.jar;lwjgl.jar;lwjgl_util_applet.jar;jinput.jar;lwjgl_test.jar;log4j-1.2.9.jar;lwjgl_util.jar;fs.sound_obf.jar;fs.common_obf.jar;xstream-1.4.10.jar com.fs.starfarer.StarfarerLauncher
Picked up _JAVA_OPTIONS: -Xmx512M
Error occurred during initialization of VM
Incompatible minimum and maximum heap sizes specified

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 12:46:33 PM »

Aha - so it looks like you've still got a _JAVA_OPTIONS environment variable set on your system.

Can you delete it and try again? You need to delete it from both the User and System sections.

(I know you mentioned already doing this, but, well, it looks like the variable is still there somehow!)

Armadyllo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 12:53:04 PM »

So I deleted it through the system properties - opened up environment variables deleted it from the list, but what would I do to delete it from User? I'm not sure where to look. I'm on Windows 10 if that helps.

Armadyllo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 12:59:35 PM »

So actually I've found the User variables, that was kind of dumb of me, but I see no _JAVA_OPTIONS.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »

Hmm. Are you still using the command-line window to try to run it?

If so: can you try closing and re-opening the command line window? Until you do that, the cmd window will still have the variable set in it even though you've deleted it from the environment, since it makes a copy of the environment when it's run.

Armadyllo

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2019, 01:23:50 PM »

Oh, didn't even think of that. That worked for me, thank you!

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2019, 01:42:39 PM »

Nice! Glad that worked, hope you enjoy the game :)