Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Author Topic: A couple questions about the non-player planets  (Read 2283 times)

Kat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
A couple questions about the non-player planets
« on: August 17, 2019, 11:48:19 AM »

Do the non-player planets ever grow larger in population ? Or add new industries ?

Been playing past couple days, and I've seen some planets show that they're at 100% growth, but do they ever go up a level ? Do they ever expand their industries ?

And do planets/stations ever change owner in the various wars that the factions fight ? I've seen one station change owner - the Derinkuyu Mining Station changed from being Pirate owned to Independent. But that's the only one I've seen change, and I'm not sure how or why it happened.

I've read a few threads in the forum here, about how colonisation is not exactly commonplace in the game setting, and a few complaints about how easy it is for a player to become larger than most factions.
My thought there would relate to the Domain cryoships that can be found - if a faction controls one of them, it should be possible to colonise a few worlds, with the millions of passengers aboard those old ships. Perhaps they should be a limited resource, such that only a few worlds can be populated before all surviving passengers are recovered and the ship is empty. Or thinking abstractly, and it would be possible to build tiny outposts with only a few (thousands) people living there, but making multi-million population densely inhabited planets is not possible.

Also, this game is already one of the best fun/money ratio games I've ever bought. It's pretty brilliant imo.

SCC

• Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: A couple questions about the non-player planets
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 01:03:35 PM »

Do the non-player planets ever grow larger in population ? Or add new industries ?

Been playing past couple days, and I've seen some planets show that they're at 100% growth, but do they ever go up a level ? Do they ever expand their industries ?
No and no. They are completely static.
And do planets/stations ever change owner in the various wars that the factions fight ?
Also no.
You can check out the Nexerelin mod, which allows factions to do this and more.

I also agree with the suggestion that colonies perhaps should require cryosleepers, provided they can be moved to other systems. Currently they are a bit too easy to create, so much that it raises question why major factions don't also do that.

Kat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 01:16:50 PM »

And do planets/stations ever change owner in the various wars that the factions fight ?
Also no.

I wonder how that mining station changed hands then. Is it scripted in the tutorial missions for it to do that ?

I also agree with the suggestion that colonies perhaps should require cryosleepers, provided they can be moved to other systems. Currently they are a bit too easy to create, so much that it raises question why major factions don't also do that.

Yeah, this is something that's made me raise eyebrows in just about every sci-fi strategy game I've played, be it Alpha Centauri, or Stellaris or whatever. Plonk down a thing, and blammo, within a short period of time, on the order of a few years, you have thousands or millions of people. It just doesn't make a lot of sense without things like sci-fi cloning factories or whatever.

Of course, the problem with factions building colonies, is the risk of a snowballing effect.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 02:05:54 PM »

Also no.

I wonder how that mining station changed hands then. Is it scripted in the tutorial missions for it to do that ?

yes it is

Yeah, this is something that's made me raise eyebrows in just about every sci-fi strategy game I've played, be it Alpha Centauri, or Stellaris or whatever. Plonk down a thing, and blammo, within a short period of time, on the order of a few years, you have thousands or millions of people. It just doesn't make a lot of sense without things like sci-fi cloning factories or whatever.

Of course, the problem with factions building colonies, is the risk of a snowballing effect.

it is actualy prettry simple: population almost doubles on new enviroments/after war, you can see that in basicaly any population graph(btw that's one of the reason Tanos plan is just dumb)

Megas

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 03:44:56 PM »

Endgame fleet with multiple capitals already needs around two to three thousand crew just to pilot the ships.  Nevermind hauling thousands of marines to raid huge faction capital planets successfully for blueprints or pristine nanoforge.  That is enough to start several colonies in quick succession.

It would be nice to start a 10^4 colony immediately if I manage to bring 10k crew with my fleet, instead of 10^3.

I can see population growing kind of fast if player does everything to promote growth.

It takes about five in-game years for population to grow from 10^7 to 10^8 with all of the reliable population boosts.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 04:33:49 PM »

I can see population growing kind of fast if player does everything to promote growth.

It takes about five in-game years for population to grow from 10^7 to 10^8 with all of the reliable population boosts.

from 10 Billion people in one piece of rock to 100 Billion in 5 years is really hard to think could happen but if my math is right by the time we reach year 5 there's going to be 120 Billion people on that planet, considering player investiments as maximum throughout the whole process

intrinsic_parity

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 05:17:01 PM »

from 10 Billion people in one piece of rock to 100 Billion in 5 years is really hard to think could happen but if my math is right by the time we reach year 5 there's going to be 120 Billion people on that planet, considering player investiments as maximum throughout the whole process
10^7 is 10 million and 10^8 is 100 million, not billion.

Recklessimpulse

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 06:50:17 PM »

And involves astounding monthly immigration an already established population could replace what immigrate to your colonies assuming your incentives includes paying those peoples way what does not make much sense is growing larger then the largest colony ( Jangala ) but since I've never done that it's pretty reasonable.

pedro1_1

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 07:26:03 PM »

10^7 is 10 million and 10^8 is 100 million, not billion.

seems like I missed something...

And involves astounding monthly immigration an already established population could replace what immigrate to your colonies assuming your incentives includes paying those peoples way what does not make much sense is growing larger then the largest colony ( Jangala ) but since I've never done that it's pretty reasonable.

that's not true at all, like did you even see the population growth table from our own planet?

I will link just the last 3 and  a half centuries:
https://images.app.goo.gl/BMxSDTZuAo9gCSjj9

notice that spike in the late XIX century early XX century, that's when people life quality got up fast, the incentives will lead to better life quality and by extention faster growth, it did not mater how much people other planets have if that's the base growth rate of the colony(and btw Jangala is size 7, making it draw whit the other factions capitals, the bigest planet on the sector is Chicomostock on size 8)

Kat

• Ensign
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2019, 05:42:36 AM »

that's not true at all, like did you even see the population growth table from our own planet?
I will link just the last 3 and  a half centuries:
https://images.app.goo.gl/BMxSDTZuAo9gCSjj9

Yeah, but see, that's 350 years. In the games I mentioned earlier - Alpha Centauri, and Stellaris, you can grow a lot, lot, lot quicker than that.

Which is difficult to believe sometimes, unless it involves the cloning vats that I mentioned as well. particularly for Alpha Centauri, where it's a situation where the starting population was a few thousand colonists and no migration.

Earth's historic population growth occurred in particular kinds of societies as well - ones without high education for most women, and no reliable contraception methods. I'm not sure that situation exists in Starsector's backstory.