Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] 'Junk Pirates' 3.5.3 (including ASP & P.A.C.K.)  (Read 596924 times)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
Re: 'Junk Pirates' - New Ships and Missions mod for 0.35a
« Reply #90 on: January 24, 2012, 01:52:58 PM »

I like the name. Sounds very redwall.  :)
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

ClosetGoth

• Commander
  • Permanently TTRPG-brained
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: January 24, 2012, 05:24:46 PM »

Redwall???

EEEEUUUULALIIAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!
Starfaring since the very beginning of 2012

Kilvanya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: January 24, 2012, 08:56:46 PM »

Oh Balls, the Badgers are here . . . :D

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: January 25, 2012, 11:42:52 AM »

0.90 up!

New Mission - 'Soup Train'
Stoat added (inter-system freighter)
Descriptions updated

I'd love some feedback on the new mission, have done quite a lot of playtesting, and I don't know whether I can look at it objectively anymore ...

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 26, 2012, 11:32:44 AM »

Gave it a whirl. Gotta say, I love your art style. Really consistent with selling the whole "junk pirates" theme, plus it just looks good.

So, the new mission! At first, I ordered a defensive action in the middle of the map, and sent the civilians to the right. Then realized that I should probably move the holding action to the left a bit - into the nebula, to slow down the lumbering enemy ships. So, did that (running low on command points once, but ordered the capture of the comm relay behind enemy lines to get back on track).

The flagship (the RNS Minestrone, heh heh) is really, really tough, and also weak offensively. At first I thought that would lead to trouble - but it could chew up fighters decently enough, and the armor came in really handy as I was leading the Onslaught and Enforcers to the left side of the map.

The two Enforcers ended up in the very top left corner of the map at the end, and the Onslaught got lost somewhere inside the nebula :) Sadly, not before it fired a torpedo salvo at the RNS Goulash, which was lost with all hands - despite the valiant efforts of its gunnery officers, who were able to shoot down two of the torpedoes with PD lasers.

In the meanwhile, I was deploying the Stoats and retreating them after they got at least partway to the civ rally on the right side.

Surprisingly, the rest of the enemy fleet was completely taken out by the Junk Pirates light craft. They carried the field and were able to cap all the enemy-side objectives. I suspect it may be possible to outright beat the enemy forces, though the Onslaught would be tough - or at least time-consuming - to defeat. All in all, I had a lot of fun beating the mission. The heavy armor on the flagship actually allowed me to adjust strategies mid-fight, and the whole "distract the enemy while the freighters get away" thing really worked.

Battle results screenshot (click to enlarge):

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 26, 2012, 11:50:01 AM »

You should update with OP with the stoat.
“I [may] not agree with a word that you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it”
- Voltaire

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: January 26, 2012, 11:55:35 AM »

I think Alex should consider to put Junk Pirates as small fraction in  full game. This mod is pure AWESOMNES!!!  I enjoy every bit of missions  ;D  Ships are design beautiful.  ::)
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Kilvanya

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: January 26, 2012, 12:08:01 PM »

/endorsed  8)

icepick37

• Admiral
  • Go.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 26, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »

I second the sentiment, but I don't know that it's entirely feasible. What would be more cool is being able to actually mod factions into the game. That could be a crap ton more work than Alex has time for, though.
- Voltaire

arcibalde

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 26, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »

Hehehehehehe we  will see what he's gonna say. He like JP too  ;D
Creator of:
Relics MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Vanilla addon MOD - vanilla balanced - Campaign integrated
Project ONI MOD - mission only

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: January 26, 2012, 12:15:11 PM »

I second the sentiment, but I don't know that it's entirely feasible. What would be more cool is being able to actually mod factions into the game. That could be a crap ton more work than Alex has time for, though.

Yeah, it would be pretty cool if Alex could eventually hire/buy some of these cooler mod ships/weapons/concepts, etc, but I have no idea how that stuff works, might be highly unfeasible in a legal/financial sense or something.  

No worries, I bet it will all work out in the end, Alex has shown a lot of support for Modding, and so far the Modding community is taking off crazy fast considering how early of a state the game is in.    ;D
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 26, 2012, 12:15:33 PM »

I think Alex should consider to put Junk Pirates as small fraction in  full game. This mod is pure AWESOMNES!!!  I enjoy every bit of missions  ;D  Ships are design beautiful.  ::)

Aw, thanks man! (Ninja'd: and others!)

I'm reasonably sure David can cope (and then some) with the art required, though ... besides, I doubt they could afford my exorbitant fees ...

Also, my mod strays significantly from the lore of the game, so even if Alex COULD afford me, I would start rewriting the game world, and it would all just get too messy ... ;)

Thanks for trying it out, Alex. It's always nice how the game lets you imagine these kinds of tactical possibilities, then all you do is put a few ships in the right place, and these little stories in the game play themselves out to plan ... :)

That sounds pretty much how I have been finding it ... couldn't be sure whether it was just because I had been playing it so much, and all it would take is an engagement of the Stoats by a reasonable force to be game over ...

I might consider making it harder, but the smaller ship fight that inevitably goes on always seemed on a knife edge as I tweaked the fleets slightly up and down. One to mull over and experiment about with a bit more ...nalthough I don't suppose a mission always has to pummel you in to the ground, as long as it's reasonably fun ...

ANYWAY - on to the reason I came here ...

It's a quick-ish destroyer (~Medusa), needs a bit more pixel-love, and probably some balancing, but I think it's pretty cool ... It abhors missiles, and it doesn't have a mission yet, but I'll see if I can't get on to that in the next few days :)

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

megal00t

• Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 26, 2012, 12:17:47 PM »

i tried to install the mod, but when it started it crashed and said JSONObject ''mission'' not found. any idea what this means?

Avan

• Admiral
  • Pioneer of Starfarer Modding
    • View Profile
    • DevDB forums
« Reply #103 on: January 26, 2012, 12:21:06 PM »

That could make a nice assault destroyer.

Are those AM blasters on hardpoints or turrets?

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 26, 2012, 12:22:25 PM »

...  What would be more cool is being able to actually mod factions into the game. That could be a crap ton more work than Alex has time for, though.

That'll definitely be possible. It already is, in the dev build.

I might consider making it harder, but the smaller ship fight that inevitably goes on always seemed on a knife edge as I tweaked the fleets slightly up and down. One to mull over and experiment about with a bit more ...nalthough I don't suppose a mission always has to pummel you in to the ground, as long as it's reasonably fun ...

Hehe, yeah. It is fun, too.

ANYWAY - on to the reason I came here ...

Oh man, that looks awesome :)

i tried to install the mod, but when it started it crashed and said JSONObject ''mission'' not found. any idea what this means?

Hmm. You don't by chance have any other mods enabled which might be causing the problem? Also, did you delete the old junk_pirates folder before unzipping the new one?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 48