Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] 'Junk Pirates' 3.5.3 (including ASP & P.A.C.K.)  (Read 596978 times)

Dibuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: 'Junk Pirates' - New Ships and Missions mod for 0.34a
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 01:02:48 AM »

I like the mission, ships and weapons very much! They very nicely balanced I think, and fun to use.
  The only thing I could point at was (For me) they did not seem "junky" enough, a bit to shiney. You know...

All in an, a very nice mod!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 02:12:42 AM »

Thanks!

Yeah, I agree with you on the 'Junkiness'. I've thought for a while that I should spend a bit of time making them look a lot 'rougher'.

The trouble is, I'm obviously not confident / happy in doing the sort of stuff that I think it needs. Oh well, I suppose I need to get my hands dirty at some point if I want to get them right ...

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Dibuk

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 02:35:43 AM »

I think what you really need it the color RUST, and a few loose panels and armorplates, and they'd be perfect!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »

The king took delivery of the Boxer destroyers, but he hated them. He's taken them both away to his workshop to try and make some use of them ...

I quite like this version. It kicks some royal ass, especially one-on-one, but any sort of group tactics can expose it's weak rear quite readily. Also as you can see, he likes to face the enemy with his shield down to make use of his powerful front facing energy weapons (and not risk overloading). Thankfully his good armor allows him to take at least a small battering to the face.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:50:25 PM by mendonca »

Trylobot

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
    • Github profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2011, 12:46:58 PM »

I love the Dugong ;D, the broadsides it delivers are devastating and fun.

I notice though that collisions seem a bit sketchy; you might want to test your bounding polygon extents to make sure its reflected in the game the way you drew it. I think it was when my Dugong ran into a Cleet and it didn't collide where I thought it would.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: 'Junk Pirates' - New Ships and Missions mod for 0.35a
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2011, 10:14:05 AM »

Bump. I meant to update this months ago, and here we are. Just got it working with 0.35a (see OP), some new weapons I think since last time, but no other major content.

Zarcon

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2011, 10:50:01 AM »

Bump. I meant to update this months ago, and here we are. Just got it working with 0.35a (see OP), some new weapons I think since last time, but no other major content.

Awesome!  :)  I'll give it a shot asap.
There is no instance of a nation benefitting from prolonged warfare.
Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory.

Thana

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2011, 11:32:04 AM »

Played through the two first missions by now. Seems pretty fun, though the cutlass weapon may be overpowered. (Or it may not - I don't have that strong a grasp on the game's balancing yet, but it did seem to chew through the Onslaught a fair deal faster than the assault chainguns - which are high explosive, so the best at tearing through targets whose armour has been pierced - were.

I also noted that all but two of the missions seemed to have been coded with erroneous ship variants - "lasher_support", which doesn't exist - that I take to have been intended as "lasher_CS", which is the close support variant of the Lasher frigate.

Edit: I just realised how critical my post seemed. Don't take this to mean I didn't enjoy the stuff - I did! It's good having new Starfarer missions to play after such a long time of only having the old ones! (Of which I've won all but Dire Straits, which continues to kick my ass.)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2011, 01:35:10 PM »

Not overly critical at all! I appreciate the feedback.

I remember now trying to balance the cutlass, upping the flux cost, lowering / upping damage and flickering between ineffectual and over-effective. I think I probably ended up too strong, just because it was a bit more fun. Also if you can close in on things with the four scatter-pd weapons with the boxenstein, you shred them in seconds. Not sure myself if the low range balances them correctly either. They end up being terrible pd weapons, but good close in brawlers.

I picked up a couple of enforcer_support -> enforcer_cs changes but I didn't notice the lasher changed as well. Thanks, I'll pick that up.

Flare

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 17, 2011, 05:30:56 PM »

How do you guys use the pirate carrier? If I send the mass of fighters ahead of my carrier, they tend to be destroyed before they can make it back, but if I send my carrier with them, I lose mobility not to mention that the carrier isn't exactly that good of a ship in terms of ship to ship fights.
Quote from: Thana
Quote from: Alex

The battle station is not completely operational, shall we say.

"Now witness the firepower of this thoroughly buggy and unoperational batt... Oh, hell, you know what? Just ignore the battle station, okay?"

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2011, 09:58:16 AM »

Finally had a chance to try this again, and that was a lot of fun! I really like flying around in the Sickle-class - the one with the Cutlass. The scatter pd lasers are cool - ok-ish PD if you're running away from the missiles, and great for a close-range surprise damage burst. Makes for some interesting choices, and a bit of a challenge when combined with the somewhat-sluggish maneuvering of the ship.

And of course, the Dugong puts out an impressive wall of firepower, same as before.

Was also neat seeing new features like module damage and refitting fit right in along with this :)

How do you guys use the pirate carrier? If I send the mass of fighters ahead of my carrier, they tend to be destroyed before they can make it back, but if I send my carrier with them, I lose mobility not to mention that the carrier isn't exactly that good of a ship in terms of ship to ship fights.

I just ended up using it to hold down the farthest-back objective. Not a lot of fighters made it - in fact, nothing but the Dugong and a Sickle survived... so not exactly a shining example of a crushing victory :)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2011, 12:04:25 PM »

Cool, glad you got to play it again!

Just a little bump as well, I've updated the mod slightly. It needed some text for the Codex to make sure it was a proper 0.35a update, and I've also added a randomised mission where you get to control a 'standard' assault Sickle alongside his friends against a (generally) larger Hegemony based fleet.

I think the mix of ships is fun (it's probably balanced towards a medium mission, sometimes easy, less occasionally hard) but let me know if anybody gets a chance to have a crack, and has any feedback. Often depends on what ships you end up getting on your side.

Also, I noticed the codex is very handy for seeing how your modded weapons fare against the other things in terms of DPS and Flux per second. I've upped the flux cost of the scatter PD to make it less of an instant close in killing machine and slightly nerfed the cutlass damage output. It's still up there with the pulse laser, but a bit less range and a bit less power. Will still destroy slower frigates that you can get on the tail of.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2011, 02:07:22 PM »

Hmm, still getting the same problems with lasher_Support variants not being found in 4 of the missions (need to rename those to lasher_CS). Btw, I kept getting an old version of the mod until I finally downloaded it using IE - if it's not a hassle on your end, it might be helpful to put the version number in the zip filename.

As to the new mission, I got slaughtered horribly the 3-4 times I tried it. I suspect re-rolling until you get a Dugong and transferring command to it would make things significantly easier, but the Sickle feels very weak now. I mean, it can still beat up a Talon wing, if just barely - but seems to have major trouble vs any frigates. The flux buildup is just way high. In later attempts I started using it for strafing runs, using its speed to avoid staying in contact with the enemy. That was more fun - at least I wasn't getting chewed up - but wasn't terribly effective, the DPS just didn't seem to be there, even from the Cutlass.

... crap, I just realized that I'm playing in the dev version, which has flux capacity values for all the core ships increased by >50% :) That explains a lot!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2011, 02:52:45 PM »

Oh no, I knew I forgot something. There was that, and another go at the dugong hitbox. Darn it.

I'll do a quick fix tomorrow morning and do as you suggest with the version numbering. Makes sense.

Alex

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »

Oh yeah, I thought I noticed something a bit funky with the Dugong. I think its collisionRadius circle doesn't fully contain the shieldRadius circle - some incoming fire passed through shields when it have clipped them on the outside. The collisionRadius check is used to cull collisions, so it doesn't even get to the shield check if something isn't close enough. Probably just need to up collisionRadius by 20-30 or so.

I'm guessing you were talking about the actual collision bounds on the ship though, but I hadn't noticed anything wrong with those. As long as they're mostly inside the sprite, it seems like minor inaccuracies don't stand out.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 48