Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] 'Junk Pirates' 3.5.3 (including ASP & P.A.C.K.)  (Read 596975 times)

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

It's happening, slowly :)

Factions have been updated, just about got through updating the Breh'Inni system, still need to work through Canis and Ursulo (York is being canned). Then pass through the various variants, add normal maps etc. for the new ships / graphics, a bit of playtesting and should be good to go.

Still at least a week or two before I'll be able to push anything out, but it's progressing ...

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] 'Junk Pirates' 2.4.0 (including ASP & P.A.C.K.) - Shaderlib Required
« Reply #466 on: December 06, 2015, 02:37:20 PM »

Let's give this a go.

Feedback most definitely welcome, please let me know how the normals look on the updated / new ships. I can't test them properly on this machine, and can't get crazybump to work on Linux.

Key Items for Changelist:

- Hammer nerfed. Boo.
- Weapon sprites updated for Light Excimer and Scatter Pd.
- Jackdaw cruiser added to JP (Dugong's brother)
- Orcenstein cruiser added to JP (Dominator-esque)
- Boxenstein (blue) given SO and a slight drop in OP. Frightening.
- Labrador added to the PACK fleet. Utility ship with advanced sensors.
- Balance update to 0.7.1a.
- Content update to 0.7.1a.
- Irritating PACK / JP comms channel issue finally resolved (both factions had a common reference in .faction files)
- Probably lots of other things

Enjoy, and please do feed back, including the littlest issues, I've not had as much time to playtest as I might have liked, but getting this out there now so at least it happens prior to Christmas.

JohnDoe

• Captain
    • View Profile
Re: [0.7.1a] 'Junk Pirates' 2.4.0 (including ASP & P.A.C.K.) - Shaderlib Required
« Reply #467 on: December 06, 2015, 04:26:02 PM »

Thanks for the update!

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: December 07, 2015, 05:02:16 PM »

Are there any plans to bring some of the Junk Pirate ships within kill-able levels? The Boxenstein and Clam are the most heinous offenders I've seen firsthand, with the Boxenstein having more armor than some destroyers have hull points, and the clam having a shield that shames most destroyers, I get that this is supposed to come at the expense of firepower but they're just so obnoxious to fight, especially when a mod like II gives them infinite HE LRMs in the form of ballista racks.

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: December 08, 2015, 12:29:58 AM »

including the littlest issues

The Test mission has its tactical briefing copied over from the Hello Spaceboy mission and refers to a ship that doesn't appear in the Test mission.

Okay, funny I thought this was working okay for 0.7, will check and update.

Are there any plans to bring some of the Junk Pirate ships within kill-able levels? The Boxenstein and Clam are the most heinous offenders I've seen firsthand, with the Boxenstein having more armor than some destroyers have hull points, and the clam having a shield that shames most destroyers, I get that this is supposed to come at the expense of firepower but they're just so obnoxious to fight, especially when a mod like II gives them infinite HE LRMs in the form of ballista racks.

Good point and worth a look. My general view (pre 0.7) was that both ships are eminently killable, might need a check though with the updated AI and possibility of officer buffs. It's difficult to balance vs. all mods, but I can at least try.

Clams are an annoyance, but easily countered by e.g. a Lasher with LMGs sat right in their face. They are not so easy in a fleet encounter if you can't pin them down (which is sort of the point, but shouldn't be too frustrating).

The Boxenstein needs a good dose of HE to break the armour, and are vulnerable due to their lack of agility. Possible though that with officers and better AI that these are also a lot more frustrating to counter than they perhaps were (unlike, say, the Dominator - their jets allow them SOME mobility during a battle, so aren't necessarily hard-countered by e.g. ion cannons or EMP).

Will look at a combination of further reduced mobility, shield performance (perhaps a 'fortress-shield-lite' for the Clam) - and reduced armour for the Boxenstein. Let me know if you have any further specific thoughts.

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: December 08, 2015, 09:23:58 AM »

including the littlest issues

The Test mission has its tactical briefing copied over from the Hello Spaceboy mission and refers to a ship that doesn't appear in the Test mission.

Okay, funny I thought this was working okay for 0.7, will check and update.

Good point and worth a look. My general view (pre 0.7) was that both ships are eminently killable, might need a check though with the updated AI and possibility of officer buffs. It's difficult to balance vs. all mods, but I can at least try.

Clams are an annoyance, but easily countered by e.g. a Lasher with LMGs sat right in their face. They are not so easy in a fleet encounter if you can't pin them down (which is sort of the point, but shouldn't be too frustrating).

The Boxenstein needs a good dose of HE to break the armour, and are vulnerable due to their lack of agility. Possible though that with officers and better AI that these are also a lot more frustrating to counter than they perhaps were (unlike, say, the Dominator - their jets allow them SOME mobility during a battle, so aren't necessarily hard-countered by e.g. ion cannons or EMP).

Will look at a combination of further reduced mobility, shield performance (perhaps a 'fortress-shield-lite' for the Clam) - and reduced armour for the Boxenstein. Let me know if you have any further specific thoughts.
Well I complain about the clam because I had one locked down in a 3v1 the other day and all 3 of my ships each overloaded 3-4 times (this actually cost me a wolf at a very precarious point in my playthrough as well) before the clam's flux started to get unmanageable, and the boxenstein because I've seen them tank so crazy amounts of damage back in 0.65 even once they get down to hull, and it makes them very frustrating bounty targets.

HELMUT

• Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: December 08, 2015, 09:53:06 AM »

Clams works like phase ships. They're infuriating to deal with but ultimately not decisive in the outcome of the battle, even in large numbers.

I also noticed the surprisingly heavy armor of the Boxer family, even tougher than some cruisers. The Boxenstein is more of a fire-support ship due to the weird missiles angle, while the normal Boxer is closer to the Enforcer in its role. Even though both of those have higher armor than any other destroyers, their hull strength isn't that great, they're also quite expensive to maintain and have less burn speed.

I'm not sure if they can be considered too strong. They're flying bullet sponges, very hard to take down without proper HE weaponry, but otherwise relatively inefficient... Maaaybe? I should try fielding a few of those to really see what they can do.

Surge

• Captain
  • Go big or go home.
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: December 08, 2015, 10:54:50 AM »

eh, I'd say the clam has about as much potential impact as the new hammer, sure it only has the one missile slot but it can also get a few autocannons or something.

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: December 11, 2015, 10:29:06 PM »

Yo! definitely liking this mod so far. is there any easy way to tell the tech level of the ships apart by looking at them? usually the colors for mastery core and expansion are easy to tell apart when you see it, but these ships are so crazy and unique that i can't usually tell until i am shooting at them!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: December 12, 2015, 12:46:14 AM »

@Network Pesci: Thanks! Will fix that up.

@StarSchulz: Hmm. I wonder what to say to that. Well, all the ships throughout the mod fall short of e.g. The Tempest / Medusa in overall power.

Closest to the Medusa is probably the Canebianco Pitbull, which falls down a little because it doesn't have the mobility. Most other PACK craft, however, are somewhere around the bottom end of the mid-tech ships in performance - with a similar mix of energy / ballistic mounts.

Junk Pirate ships are difficult to properly classify. There is a bit of colour coding going on between groups of ships - red for the goat / boxers signifies armour - blue signifies more higher tech for the langoustine and orca. Grey of the sickle / hammer are the grunts / cannon fodder. Energy / ballistics vary in no particular order based on what seemed appropriate at the time. Normally you should be able to get an idea of the ships role from the codex / descriptions.

ASP ships are all combat freighters - with the emphasis on freight - and some niche fighters.

cpmartins

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: December 12, 2015, 09:11:07 AM »

Found this guy on a P.A.C.K. base. The pirates are screwed now!
http://imgur.com/N2pOhtZ

StarSchulz

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: December 12, 2015, 11:11:07 AM »

interesting, that should help when choosing to engage them. thanks!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: December 12, 2015, 11:50:53 AM »

Found this guy on a P.A.C.K. base. The pirates are screwed now!
http://imgur.com/N2pOhtZ

:)

Just be careful you don't get on the wrong side of Angela Lansbury ...

cpmartins

• Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: December 12, 2015, 12:23:17 PM »

Pretty sure I've seen a station with a very efficient Security Officer. Quite the humble man he was.

SpacePoliticianAndaZealot

• Captain
  • The Show Stopper
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: December 18, 2015, 06:50:03 AM »

Pitbull(CB) has negative peak performance time! Amazing!
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 48