Fractal Softworks Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Starsector 0.97a is out! (02/02/24); New blog post: Simulator Enhancements (03/13/24)

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 48

Author Topic: [0.9.1a] 'Junk Pirates' 3.5.3 (including ASP & P.A.C.K.)  (Read 596985 times)

Creepin

• Commander
    • View Profile

this is an example of an experienced BSF shipbuilder: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6885 on par with the best SS modders out there.
I don't feel myself equipped with enough technobabble (or, rather, artsybabble in this case) to pass the judgement on that art in general, so let me speak from my personal point of view: I would have really hard time (and would eventually fail to) convincing myself to put ships as under quoted link into my SS experience due to them being dull, choppy and, well, primitive. On the other hand, Junk Pirates went to my SS+ even when they were formally incompatible because they're fun, look cool and, most importantly, blend with vanilla stylistically.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:36:56 AM by Creepin »

Agalyon

• Commander
    • View Profile

and this is an example of an experienced BSF shipbuilder: http://www.wyrdysm.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6885 on par with the best SS modders out there.
I don't know man, these are nice, don't get me wrong, but SS's ships are really quite nice. Now that we have shaderlib around too, there's a whole lot we can do to make stuff look exceptional. I feel like these BSF ships are a little too square and uniform overall, and look like they need some kind of AA pass, but who knows.
I imagine most people here will be inclined to like SS ships better. A lot of us have been with this game a long time, and seen many mods full of greatness come and go. Personally, I love the look of curves on SS ships, and how different they can all look, and Junk Pirates is a good example of this, I think.

Delta7

• Commander
  • forum idiot
    • View Profile
    • my personal DA account

SS ships have their charm, both vanilla and mod ships. i think the main reason i prefer BSF ships is because of the enormous variety and massive versatility (plus polish) of the shipmaker. even an idiot like myself could, given the proper time and section sprites, make a half decent ship. not necessarily on your first try mind you (as one has given evidence of), but... you dont have to be a spriter to make BSF ships. you absolutely have to be a pixel master to make a truly exceptional SS ship, and some people on these forums are definitely not (that last statement was a matter of personal opinion, the fact that one person likes or hates a style/ ship regardless of skill level/ experience does not make it good or bad.)
SS ships do have their own varied and unique styles, though to a somewhat lesser degree. there are some pretty epic SS mod ships out there, and some vanilla ships are pretty cool too. just the same as BSF, some mod ships are better than others, but ive probably already gone too far with my comparisons so im going to stop now.
warning: may be prone to random outbursts of stupidity

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile

I want to face bad bad pirates within the starsector+ mod so i need the junk pirates! :)

Is there an update coming soon?

Greetings
Ahne

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

:)

Shouldn't be too long ...

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile

Thx man, appreciate your hard work!

mendonca

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral
    • View Profile

Junk Pirates 2.3.5

DOWNLOAD HERE

General update for 0.65.2a RC2

Weapons rebalanced, variants tweaked etc.

Also sees the introduction of three ranges of higher-spec PACK ships (skins of existing hulls, in ascending order of effectiveness):

CAOMARELO:
Yellow tinged ships with a tendency towards ballistics, higher OP counts and improved engines. Skins for Wirefox, Samoyed, Schnauzer.

ROTHUND:
Red tinged ships with heavier armour and higher op counts. Skins for Schnauzer, Pitbull, BRT, Komondor, Ridgeback X

CANEBIANCO:
White ships with improved shields (generally fixed frontal), more energy weapons, and much increased OP counts. Skins for Bedlington, Pitbull, Komondor.

CANEBIANCO technicians are rightly proud of the modifications they have effected upon the venerable Pitbull-class Destroyer.

The ROTHUND machine shop have added more armour, retooled the medium energy mounts, and significantly boosted combat performance by reverse-engineering the more modern vessels in operation today, and applying these technologies to the comparatively primitive and inefficient chassis of the BRT.

Availability is reduced for these higher spec ships, have fun trying to collect them all!

"I'm doing it, I'm making them purple! No one can stop me!"

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile

Awesome.

Toxcity

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I like the small differences between the skins and base hulls (more armor on the ROTHUND).

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile

I love the mod as always mendonca, but a couple of preliminary thoughts and observations regarding this update.

You forgot to add the maps for the new skins to the texture_data.csv, and those ships are really powerful with no real downsides. In my opinion you should give them the High Maintenance hullmod, increase their FP cost, and perhaps add a custom hullmod that increases supplies/day. The increased credit cost of them just is not enough to justify the rather large increase of power that those ships wield.

Ahne

• Captain
    • View Profile

juhu THX man!

Nanao-kun

• Admiral
    • View Profile

I love the mod as always mendonca, but a couple of preliminary thoughts and observations regarding this update.

You forgot to add the maps for the new skins to the texture_data.csv, and those ships are really powerful with no real downsides. In my opinion you should give them the High Maintenance hullmod, increase their FP cost, and perhaps add a custom hullmod that increases supplies/day. The increased credit cost of them just is not enough to justify the rather large increase of power that those ships wield.

Aren't they also more rare though? Omnifactory doesn't count.

MesoTroniK

• Admiral
  • I am going to destroy your ships
    • View Profile

Rarity is not really a valid balancing factor.

WKOB

• Admiral
  • Odobenidine Benefactor
    • View Profile

Why not?

Tartiflette

• Admiral
  • MagicLab discord: https://discord.gg/EVQZaD3naU
    • View Profile

It's only a time limitation: it promote grinding, or worse gamification (like buying all ships from the same class to force it to spawn), and ship is still OP in the end.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 48